2024 Cold Bore Challenge Q&A Thread

Lowedown

FNG
This is a great idea, and should be good education for all, including me :) Is there another way to upload your videos if you have never posted to youtube?? thanks!

I agree about the timed element, but an MER being a maximum best case longest shot you'd take scenario, I'd think that would include all the time in the world. Time to triple check wind, screw around with your ballistic app, time to dry fire, take a poo, etc.

In fact, I think I missed this morning 5 times because I had to pee haha

Macintosh

WKR
@mxgsfmdpx Nothing stopping anyone from simply timing themselves. My first shot I intentionally took very casually, in part just to see how long it took to range, get my stuff in order, and shoot when I WASNT hurrying—it was over a minute, in part because at 52 my frickin eyes are going and I cant focus on my turret dial well... Im used to the prs format but always have range and dope ahead of time there, everything in hand, so the time constraint is different. Second cold bore shot I want to use a different position and add a little more time pressure. Shooting in the woods so visibility is limited, so have to see whats available. Maybe just sitting, shoot off the top of my pack, we’ll see.
Isnt @THLR ’s “proficiency test” 1 minute even at 500m? Think that uses a known distance though so no time spent ranging, dope is known, etc. (I think??). Seems a very achievable time for if you are starting all slung up, ranging and calculating your dope, thru the shot on a flat range, but if position/terrain is funky could run thru that time easy if you haven’t pre-practiced the position.

huntnful

WKR
I finished the challenge yesterday evening with a miss for my last 1000 yard shot. I can’t access the thread to update it through my phone. I’m assuming there’s too many videos in it or something. I’ll update it from my computer at some point soon hopefully! Missed the wind call and hit 3” outside of the circle. Then since the challenge was over at that point, I sent a follow up with a corrected wind call and hit in the circle.

Macintosh

WKR
I can’t access the thread to update it through my phone. I’m assuming there’s too many videos in it or something. I’ll update it from my computer at some point soon hopefully!
I had that happen on my phone. Had to close all the browser windows and all my apps, and it started loading fine.

Nine Banger

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
If we go timed, a shot timer will measure to hundredth of a second so there shouldn't be any ties even if the top shooters are shooting the same distances.

Ucsdryder

WKR
If we go timed, a shot timer will measure to hundredth of a second so there shouldn't be any ties even if the top shooters are shooting the same distances.
It’s not a competition, it’s a skills shoot to simulate real world experiences. Thats the reason it’s a 10” circle, a gut shot should NOT be considered an acceptable shot.

Timing the shot sequence would also help to mimic real world situations. Even on a calm animal, it’s rare that they don’t move around or get fidgety.

Getting on target and executing a shot under pressure is the point of the challenge.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I'm in, post #40

Sucks to miss first shot, but so stinking fun to shoot these challenges.

(remember, staff or sponsors can't win, so our posts don't count towards the 100 limit, just like embarrassing ourselves.)

Ucsdryder

WKR
I'm in, post #40

Sucks to miss first shot, but so stinking fun to shoot these challenges.

(remember, staff or sponsors can't win, so our posts don't count towards the 100 limit, just like embarrassing ourselves.)
Is it fair to say Ryan should receive 50% of the blame for you missing? I mean, there’s no way you could miss once you have your new rifle! 😜

huntnful

WKR
Updated my cold bore post from the computer. Never could get the mobile phone to work with the thread.

But it was fun, and a great challenge! Looking forward to next year!

Graves14

WKR
I was hoping someone would point out the obvious so I didn't have to. (can't wait for him to see this thread lol)
I mean you were so close, with a faster, flatter shooting cartridge like oh IDK a 6UM you'd definitely have been in the black ;-)

Quick break from the heckling…

This is an awesome format. I appreciate what the Rokslide team did to put this together, prizes or not. It’s simple things like this that confirm/deny limitations and reinforce the sense of community beyond the internets. For that, I say thank you.

I also tip my hat to those that are posting their missed shots, it’s a very simple, but special kind of integrity. Integrity is an undervalued character trait these days, and you my friends, have it in spades.