2024 Cold Bore Challenge Q&A Thread

eric1115

WKR
My claimed MER was definitely a stretch. I shoot that distance and further a few times a year, and I was overconfident due to a recent successful outing. I’ll definitely be incorporating some more constructive practice.

I genuinely think that the most beneficial thing that's happened in the last few years was my miss on my first 600 yard qualifier last year. I had spent lots of time on kids' rifles, kids' practice, and almost none on my own that spring.

It's a much more perishable skill than we would like to believe. In hindsight, I'm glad I didn't luck my way into hitting that shot, it was a wake up call that long range proficiency is not a one way ratchet, but a skill that must be maintained.

Don't hang your head, a couple of near misses cold bore from 500 yards is better than the vast majority of western hunters would be able to do!

eric1115

WKR
It's done! Second shot at 720 was a hit. (photo includes my son's two shots as well at 1:00 on the target).

Thanks again to everyone who put in the work to make this such a great way to get a real gut check on our ability to put one bullet where it needs to go, right now.

My takeaway, if I'm marginal like this in essentially no-wind condition, I need to be very realistic about my ability to hit in the wind. This has been borne out in this spring's practice. We've had a windy (for here) spring, and I've done more shooting in 15-25 mph wind at 500-900 than I've ever done (intentionally going on windy days). I'm calling my MER at 500 if wind is over 8-10 mph. 400 if it's in the 20+ range.

Attachments

• PXL_20240609_132813791.jpg
    PXL_20240609_132813791.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 19
OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
My takeaway from this year is that I tend to under compensate for wind. Ie. I know it's gusting to 12 mph, but I only hold for say 8 mph. I may get a hit, but its barely on the target. It is almost like I'm hesitant to hold as much as I know I should, where in fact I had more leeway the other direction.
It's really all about practice. That's what helps me to be sure on wind calls and getting them right.

And that's what's awesome about the cold bore challenge. It gives us all a real gut check.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I got my poop on a scoop now so I’m gonna shoot this challenge.

Missed the Cold Bow due to shoulder bursitis and then losing my sweet Daddy. He was so sick the last few years but really enjoyed the “.223 for bear, elk, deer” thread (at least 100k of those views are his lol) and listening to Ryan and Jake and Form …one of the last things he bought was a 100 rounds of .77 TMK. He was gonna try it on cow elk with his AR if he could go this fall. Sorry we didnt make that trip Dad 😢

He wanted to shoot Cold Bore last year but no way to get him to the hills so he kept my target from last year in his kitchen as a conversation piece with the nurses and therapists. I’m sure they were thrilled 😆

I only shot 450 last year but to his generation that was like a mile.

I miss him daily now

In the spirit of the challenge, I’m gonna try MER at 500 this year. 460 farthest I’ve shot a buck. I tried pre Cold bore last year 500 but was only about 50% so I pulled back to 450 and hit both shots. I’m not dialing so 500 is a poke for me

See you in the challenge thread tomorrow

Last edited:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member

Missed the Cold Bow due to shoulder bursitis and then losing my sweet Daddy. He was so sick the last few years but really enjoyed the “.223 for bear, elk, deer thread (at least 100k of those views are his lol) and listening to Ryan and Jake and Form …one of the last things he bought was a 100 rounds of .77 TMK. He was gonna try it on cow elk with his AR if he could go this fall. Sorry we didnt make that trip Dad

He wanted to shoot Cold Bore last year but no way to get him to the hills so he kept my target from last year in his kitchen as a conversation piece with the nurses and therapists. I’m sure they were thrilled

I miss him daily now

In the spirit of the challenge, I’m gonna try MER at 500 this year. 460 farthest I’ve shot a buck. I tried pre Cold bore last year 500 but was only about 50% so I pulled back to 450 and hit both shots. I’m not dialing so 500 is a poke for me

Oh, I'll be watching this.

Sent from my SM-S926U using Tapatalk

Graves14

WKR
Just finished day 2 as well. Setup a bit further than I meant to but where I was shooting from wouldn’t allow me to get much closer. Hit both days but I don’t believe I’ll be able to carve out the time for the second 2 past 600 before a precision rifle course this weekend.

Thanks for putting this on and for forcing us to practice the most important shot we take!

Thanks to the sponsors for donating great prizes to keep everyone motivated to be ready for the season.

Thank you to the entire Rokslide crew and the sponsors for putting up the great prizes. This is a great challenge to put on and is fun to see everyone that gets involved. Definitely puts a lot of pressure only going out with one piece of ammo for one shot on film!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member

Missed the Cold Bow due to shoulder bursitis and then losing my sweet Daddy. He was so sick the last few years but really enjoyed the “.223 for bear, elk, deer” thread (at least 100k of those views are his lol) and listening to Ryan and Jake and Form …one of the last things he bought was a 100 rounds of .77 TMK. He was gonna try it on cow elk with his AR if he could go this fall. Sorry we didnt make that trip Dad 😢

He wanted to shoot Cold Bore last year but no way to get him to the hills so he kept my target from last year in his kitchen as a conversation piece with the nurses and therapists. I’m sure they were thrilled 😆

I miss him daily now

Well, I’m tapping out this morning. Got to my shooting area and we got 15 to 20 mile an hour winds with higher gusts. I would not attempt that shot at 500. So I’ll try again in the morning.

huntnful

WKR
Well, I’m tapping out this morning. Got to my shooting area and we got 15 to 20 mile an hour winds with higher gusts. I would not attempt that shot at 500. So I’ll try again in the morning.
When I was saying I was going to attempt an MER of 1000 yards, I stated “in calm conditions” for that exact reason. A true MER is dictated by the conditions. In 20 MPH winds, I doubt I would even attempt 500 yards in the field.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
it's so funny how some dum internet challenge can have you thinking about your 1 shot in the middle of the night. Seriously? It's an internet challenge!

but i've felt the same stress with the Cold Bow over the years. When you know you don't get a mulligan, it's messes with you

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
When I was saying I was going to attempt an MER of 1000 yards, I stated “in calm conditions” for that exact reason. A true MER is dictated by the conditions. In 20 MPH winds, I doubt I would even attempt 500 yards in the field.
for sure, MER is always dictated by conditions. Same with Cold Bow, I've passed days because of wind.

We've had shooters over there ask why we don't just allow people to move up when conditions aren't good (like presumably we'd do in the field), well...because it makes it too confusing for the judges! But it truly is the word "maximum" that we've built these challenges around.

Ucsdryder

WKR
it's so funny how some dum internet challenge can have you thinking about your 1 shot in the middle of the night. Seriously? It's an internet challenge!

but i've felt the same stress with the Cold Bow over the years. When you know you don't get a mulligan, it's messes with you
I feel you. It’s been a windy year. I look at the 10 day forecast every morning and evening trying to find a day when it’s not blowing 15 plus. Then match that day with a day I can get out. It’s not easy!