2023 Wyoming Elk Draw Results

Tip #1 discuss with your guide what your expectations are, what his expectations of you are, what you should be planning for, and what kind of shape you need to be in for the hunt.

Tip #2 take an elk you're happy with and don't let others tell you it's not big enough for your area!
Tip # 3 You are not an Elk hunter until you kill a bull, you are just a nature hiker. Any Bull is a trophy.

Well, 13 points didn't get it for us this year.
Draw odds showed 100% chance of drawing the tag, not so.
Same here... except with 12 points. It was 100% with 11 last year and they even added tags. Maybe next year.

You guys that drew a general tag, you need to treat it like a 10+ preference point hunt. Commit and spend as much time as you can because you probably won't draw it again for a very long time.

There are over 100,000 hunters with either 1, 2, or 3 preference points going into the draw this year. Add another 50k that will buy this year and it gets a bit ridiculous. The vast majority of them are hoping for the general tag. It's going to take a long time to work through those numbers... Maybe 20+ years if tag numbers stay the same and everyone stays the course.
Thanks for sharing the chart, I love info like that. I still got almost 20K people ahead of me, so hopefully high point holders panic and hop in the draw to clear the way!

I was looking at muzzy deer tags in another state that I'm a high point holder in. The state gives out 4 NR tags a year and last year had about a hundred new applicants with about 300 people ahead of them. I guess you gotta play to win, but not sure why anyone would even waste the energy or brain space to start from the bottom on a tag like that. People hopping in this year have more than 100 years to reach the top with 100 people still waiting beside them when they do.

Congrats to all who drew in WY and best of luck!

wapitibob

WKR
I was looking at muzzy deer tags in another state that I'm a high point holder in. The state gives out 4 NR tags a year and last year had about a hundred new applicants with about 300 people ahead of them. I guess you gotta play to win, but not sure why anyone would even waste the energy or brain space to start from the bottom on a tag like that. People hopping in this year have more than 100 years to reach the top with 100 people still waiting beside them when they do.

People seem to enjoy applying for hunts they can't draw.

JFK

WKR
Anyone else notice that the 100% cutoff for regular and special was at < 5. Only benefit to special this year was slightly better odds at the 4 point level and slightly better shot at a random draw. So if a guy had < 5 points or more, the special was a waste of money because he would have drawn the same tag in the regular. Definitely makes it hard to justify the special when the odds are the same.

***Edit. Should have clarified that the above is for General only.

Anyone else notice that the 100% cutoff for regular and special was at < 5. Only benefit to special this year was slightly better odds at the 4 point level and slightly better shot at a random draw. So if a guy had < 5 points or more, the special was a waste of money because he would have drawn the same tag in the regular. Definitely makes it hard to justify the special when the odds are the same.

***Edit. Should have clarified that the above is for General only.

Depends on the situation obviously. With the way 4 point applicants landed, special pool had over 3x better odds at the tag via PP and a little bump in odds with the random as well. Going into next year's draw with 5 points in standard draw isn't going to be a slam dunk either and special is going to cost a lot more.. I'm quite happy that I decided to apply in special w/ 4.

Last edited: