2023 Montana Elk draw unexpected outcomes

fatlander

WKR
Before everyone gets their panties further wadded up, have you talked to FWP or read the actual state code and approved drawing plan?

I’d be willing to bet that FWP will issue tags to those that didn’t draw as part of the party.

It took me a long time to find the actual approved draw plan that’s a pdf. It’s not readily available on the website or regs booklet. I was pissed that everyone in a party had to buy a presence point or no one could. It can’t be a mixed bag. That language is in the approved plan, that’s harder to find than bugling bulls, nowhere else.

If it says in that plan that parties will be split up for the released tags, tough. If it doesn’t, you e got recourse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raghornkiller

Lil-Rokslider
They could just not give out any of the returned tags and then guys would bitch about that too
Or they could keep the parties together and give out the released tags to the highest point holders. Sucks that some people with two points didnt draw and multiple people I know that weren't expecting to get it with a group average of 1.5 ended up getting it.

ProStaffSteve

Lil-Rokslider
Or they could keep the parties together and give out the released tags to the highest point holders. Sucks that some people with two points didnt draw and multiple people I know that weren't expecting to get it with a group average of 1.5 ended up getting it.
I’d rather have my party split than not go hunting. Please make sure to return your tags asap so I can pick one up 😃

OP
Roughwater
I’d rather have my party split than not go hunting. Please make sure to return your tags asap so I can pick one up 😃
I agree. Actually no one in my party complained, even the guy that didn't get a tag didn't complain. As I mentioned, he seems to be planning to go with us without a tag. Great for us but also good for him. He has never hunted Elk before so it will be a great learning tool. Also he wouldn't know where to start to look for Elk but hopefully after this season he will have first hand experience and potentially have 2 points next year if he decides to hunt.

Raghornkiller

Lil-Rokslider
I agree. Actually no one in my party complained, even the guy that didn't get a tag didn't complain. As I mentioned, he seems to be planning to go with us without a tag. Great for us but also good for him. He has never hunted Elk before so it will be a great learning tool. Also he wouldn't know where to start to look for Elk but hopefully after this season he will have first hand experience and potentially have 2 points next year if he decides to hunt.
And if he applies with you next year and you only have one point you will be the one without a tag.This makes me think I will not be applying in a party anymore with less than 2 points

Trial153

WKR
I drew the license and not the permit, despite having two points up on the last years highest drawer for the same permit. I am taking the 80%

ez_willie

Lil-Rokslider
Does it say that in the regs somewhere? I have never been aware of this but it's not something I thought about checking into
If this breakup of party apps during released tags isn’t in the regs anywhere I would just raise hell till they give your buddy a tag, cuz your back stuck at different pp for the future draws.

fatlander

WKR

Read number 15, specially about refund options being different in the party causing the party to dismantle during the draw.

“15) REFUND OPTIONS FOR UNSUCCESSFUL DRAWING: You will need to choose one refund option from the list provided when applying online for your license. The option that you select will be implemented in the event that you are unsuccessful in drawing a General Combination License. If you are in a party and you choose a different refund option than other members of your party, this may result in the dismantling of the party for the remaining stages of the drawing. If you desire to keep your party together in the final stages of the drawing, your best option is for all party members to choose the same refund option.”

I still cannot relocate the PDF of the approved draw plan that listed information about the entire draw process that is nowhere else in regulations or the state code.

Medusa7MM

WKR
If this breakup of party apps during released tags isn’t in the regs anywhere I would just raise hell till they give your buddy a tag, cuz your back stuck at different pp for the future draws.
This couldn’t agree more! If it’s in the regs so be it, and I’ll be the first to admit I missed it. If it’s not in the regs then they definitely need to make it right with those that applied as a party.

fatlander

WKR

Page 12, section 12.3.160, number 5

“(5) The party establisher will create the party’s hunting districts, bonus point enrollment, outfitter preference point, and preference point enrollment for the winter party. Any member applying under different destinations will be removed from the party and entered into the drawing individually.”

fatlander

WKR
It’s easier to find 300” bulls on general tags than this information. It’s buried so deep in the archives of the website.

I guess it’s kind of sort of published to the public. But it should be explicitly written in the regs and or the published state code. It’s next to impossible to find, and I knew it existed. How the hell can they expect someone that doesn’t know it exists to find it?