2013 Elk Meatpole

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks Sam.......another pic of camp. Had picked a nice shed, had a breakfast of champions Twinkie and there were recent posts about having a saw. Once again the Wyoming saw was in valuable and more so for cutting wood for the small stove. This time of year you have a lot of down time, it is cold and in this neck of the woods it always rains

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Finally getting some of my September handy-work posted... Funny how a week off work sets you back for a month sometimes!! Finally getting caught up in mid-October, and now it's almost time to take another week off to go muley hunting :)

Called this bull in for my hunting partner Kurt Toney
attachment.php

Then called this one in about 3 days later
attachment.php

We were a couple whipped pups after hauling that much elk in 4 days... Extremely impressed with our KUIU packs and the verde camo pattern. It absolutely disappears in the timber. I had elk on two occasions close enough to touch before they finally spooked. One cow stood within 3 feet of me for close to a minute. I was constantly impressed when watching my buddy set up - if I took my eyes off him it was dang hard to pick him up again until he moved.

BTH

FNG
Congrats again Ross! After seeing the pics of your bull I wish I had crossed the draw and came over to help as this is the bull I passed up at 5 feet during archery!!! How crazy is that... But from where you shot him was only about a quarter of a mile from where I had the encounter with him during September. That poor bull tried to kill himself twice this year. Lol

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Congrats darin! What kuiu pack were you using?

I hunted in the Icon 1850 and hauled my first load of meat in it, then I used my Carbon framed Icon 5200 and loaded it HEAVY. My partner used the 1850 with carbon frame for both hunting and hauling. The 5200 hauled great and was easy on my body. The fabric was super easy to clean - left the pack in the rain and wiped it out - no blood stains. In terms of comfort, the suspension worked really nicely and did a great job of putting the load on my hips instead of my shoulders and back. All the compression straps worked well to cinch the load down and keep it tight to the frame. Kurt's bull was the largest bodied bull I have ever seen - of probably 30+ dead bulls. I took a full boned hind quarter, backstrap and 1/2 boned neck in one load. Once on my back - it was no problem. The 1850 hauls nicely, but obviously you're limited in capacity. It could haul a boned front shoulder and then some, but a boned hind quarter would not quite fit. We had to divvy it up into smaller loads for the 1850. Still pretty dang impressive for a pack that's so lightweight!

DC

krummholz

FNG
My NM bull. Called him in to 20 yards opening morning of 3rd season. Shortest elk hunt ever, but it was a long day of packing meat since it was a solo hunt.

00small31274430.JPG

Big Sky

Lil-Rokslider
Mine from MT

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1382130594.342032.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1382130594.342032.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 172

Big Sky

Lil-Rokslider
My brides three days later.

Attachments