Zenbivy Bed?

Zonk44

FNG
Anyone have any experience using a Zenbivy sleep system? I can't stand sleeping in a sleeping bag. This looks like it could be a good alternative.

Colby

Lil-Rokslider
I have the 10deg lite bed and I’m happy with it. Used it on a few trips this year, nothing super cold, maybe in the 20’s but I was comfy.

Read1t48

WKR
I have the 10deg lite bed and I’m happy with it. Used it on a few trips this year, nothing super cold, maybe in the 20’s but I was comfy.
Does it pack pretty small or is it bulky? Thinking of something like this in a 5 string Kifaru Compression Sack or something similar.

Colby

Lil-Rokslider
It packs down fairly small,I’m not sure on that exact stuff sack.
I’ll try to get a picture of it next to something to compare it to this weekend.

jbsmith1

FNG
10L sack and the compression caps make it pretty small when fully compressed, a touch shorter than a Nalgene bottle

I really dislike being confined in sleeping bags. I'm a warm sleeper and the system is perfect for me. I leave one side unhooked and sleep like a baby.

2ski

WKR
This looks pretty cool. I hadn't heard of them before. So when you buy one it's the whole system or you have to buy components and put it together?

Belleau

FNG
I was shopping for a bag and got an add on facebook for this zenbivy. First I thought it was another scam... but it actually seems like a decent product!

SwiftShot

WKR
I was shopping for a bag and got an add on facebook for this zenbivy. First I thought it was another scam... but it actually seems like a decent product!
It is very popular with back packers.

Many of them like it. Maybe it is a sponsor thing but 2 of the above I feel are totally legit.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Anyone have any experience using a Zenbivy sleep system? I can't stand sleeping in a sleeping bag. This looks like it could be a good alternative.

It’s the most comfortable sleep system on the market. Every good point of a quilt with none of the downsides. The 10° light bed I used to -14° this year (-18° is the lowest I’ve taken it, IIRC) with a hot water bottle in the foot, and dozens of nights at 0° to 10° in the last couple of years with no issues.

If you already have the gear, a decent alternative to the Zenbivy is leaving your bag unzipped from the belly up and draping a quilt sideways from the belly up.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
If you already have the gear, a decent alternative to the Zenbivy is leaving your bag unzipped from the belly up and draping a quilt sideways from the belly up.

That will make a sleeping bag more comfortable, but will not do what the Zen Bivy does. The Zen Bivy eliminates drafts, allows you to move freely under it, keeps you on the sleeping mat, controls your pillow and keeps it under your head, blocks wind and cold without zipping around your face, and allows you to vent easily.

thedutchtouch

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Big Agnes Lost Ranger 3 in 1 (non ultralight) 0 degree bag/system. (Ultralight 20 degree version featured in the first video above. It does appear that person is sponsored by Big Agnes given the tent etc all same company fyi). I have only tested it a bit at home but so far so good. I found it on sale for 50% off so made a LOT more sense in the 200 dollar range than when I was looking at the ultralight version for 600.

I don't have high end sleeping bag experience to compare but the way it all holds itself together but also let's you move a bit inside is huge for me.

Ondavirg

Lil-Rokslider
I have the 23 degree and have used it down into the 30s comfortably. Packs up small. I toss and turn, so this system is perfect for me. Would buy again.

dtrkyman

WKR
Cool system, the car camp set up would be nice but 35 degree isn't going to cut it for me.

That will make a sleeping bag more comfortable, but will not do what the Zen Bivy does. The Zen Bivy eliminates drafts, allows you to move freely under it, keeps you on the sleeping mat, controls your pillow and keeps it under your head, blocks wind and cold without zipping around your face, and allows you to vent easily.

Yes, a poor substitute, but in my experience a dramatic improvement over a bag only if you like more room. I'm almost never in really cold weather. Down to 15, this setup is heaven for me. And my Western Mountaineering still cradles my head nicely.