Zenbivy Bed?

crich

WKR
The Zen Bivy in XL with a good pad, is backpackable version your home bed.

There’s a weight and bull penalty over the most streamlined quilt…. Don’t care. Best sleep system on the market.
Any experience with their pads?

The Zen Bivy in XL with a good pad, is backpackable version your home bed.

There’s a weight and bull penalty over the most streamlined quilt…. Don’t care. Best sleep system on the market.
I have one but haven’t put their DWR coating to the test. Any multi-day experiences using it in damp/wet conditions? Are you able to cook wet clothes dry in it?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I have one but haven’t put their DWR coating to the test. Any multi-day experiences using it in damp/wet conditions? Are you able to cook wet clothes dry in it?

I have hundreds of nights in them- mostly in snow with a stove. Their wet every morning from both condensation in the tent, and from body moisture and have not had a loss of loft at all that could be noticed. The first trip I used one on was 31-34° alternating snow and rain/ice and it did get wet, but held loft fine.

I have hundreds of nights in them- mostly in snow with a stove. Their wet every morning from both condensation in the tent, and from body moisture and have not had a loss of loft at all that could be noticed. The first trip I used one on was 31-34° alternating snow and rain/ice and it did get wet, but held loft fine.
Awesome, thanks! Any experience drying out wet clothes in the bag?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Awesome, thanks! Any experience drying out wet clothes in the bag?

I have done it, not to the “rewarming drill” level, but damp clothes no issues. However, I only do that as a last resort. I am pretty psychotic about keeping my sleep system clean and will not wear dirty clothes in it- I have a pair of base layer bottom and LS top that I only sleep in.

crich

WKR
These look comfortable but also bulky and heavy.
I look at sleep systems within my gear list the same way some look at having a lightweight rifle in order to put a heavy reliable scope on. Ill cut weight on everything I can so I can have more comfort and sleep better.

I agree. I posted my sleep system weight a few posts back. At 3lbs, 6oz for an XL 10 degree sleep system (30”x80”) that feels like I’m sleeping in a bed - I’ll take it. I’ve seriously never had a foot box in a bag or quilt this big and roomy.

I hate being confined/constricted and can’t sleep if I feel claustrophobic. I actually have a neurological issue and even medication won’t help. I spent 25+ years as a firefighter, so I learned to deal with it, working half my time on a rescue truck doing confined space rescues.

When a good nights sleep is being compromised in the backcountry, I’ll gladly pack another 1.5lbs to be comfortable and rested.

Antares

WKR
I’m a little confused. “Bivy” is in the name but these just look like pad/bag/quilt combos. Is anyone putting these in something like a Borah Bivy?

I’m thinking of something like a 25 degree, synthetic Zenbivy + Borah bivy + Seek Eolus. Does that sound like a weird setup? It would be for Kodiak in the fall.

Billogna

Lil-Rokslider
I have done it, not to the “rewarming drill” level, but damp clothes no issues. However, I only do that as a last resort. I am pretty psychotic about keeping my sleep system clean and will not wear dirty clothes in it- I have a pair of base layer bottom and LS top that I only sleep in.
So we're all just going to ignore that Form has "mountain jammies"??

sneaky

"DADDY"
I received my Zenbivy bed this weekend and got to try it out last night.

First thoughts are that this could be the answer to my restless legs issues. I slept great and could move around without any issue. It was around 30 degrees and I even got too warm in it. I was able to stick both legs out of the quilt and cooled off quickly. I got the 10 degree XL version and while it’s huge, I was still warm … almost too warm, but again, was super easy to “vent” and dump out the heat. I’ve never been in a sleep system with this much room and it was awesome.

I‘m definitely paying a weight penalty for the 30x80 inch XL size and it comes in at 3lbs 6 oz on my scale for the quilt, flat sheet with insulated hood, stuff sack, and compression straps. Zenbivy lists out the weights of everything individually and I added it up - 3lbs 7 oz. I’d give them an A+ for truth in advertising of their weights.

I ordered the 10 liter stuff sack and 10 liter size compression straps based on the website diagram and recommendation. It was like trying to stuff a bowling ball into a marble sack, but it did fit. I’m going to exchange the stuff sack and compression straps for the 15 liter size so I’m not wrestling with it to get it all packed up.

Here‘s a picture of it next too a 32 ounce Nalgene bottle:

View attachment 538294

It’s pretty large, but does fit snugly in the bottom of my pack where I keep my other sleeping bag. Can’t wait to get it back out on a trip up to Canada next week to fish. I really want this to work for me. Thank you to all for your suggestions!
I stopped using stuff sacks, more aggravation than they're worth. Lot quicker to just stuff it into the bottom of your pack and go. Doesn't leave odd voids in your pack either either like stuff sacks do.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I stopped using stuff sacks, more aggravation than they're worth. Lot quicker to just stuff it into the bottom of your pack and go. Doesn't leave odd voids in your pack either either like stuff sacks do.

Great point! That‘s exactly what I’m going to do! I’ve been trying to fit objects in my pack like a Tetris game and it’s super frustrating. I returned the Zenbivy stuff sack and compression straps. I also have a Kifaru stuff sack if needed that this would fit in easily and still have space to compress to the shape of the bottom of my pack.

yycyak

Lil-Rokslider
I'm too chicken-s**t to do this.

My nightmare is having my down sleeping bag/quilt somehow get wet, and then a snowstorm rolls in...

I know for sure I'm falling victim to the "We pack for our fears" thing, but I just can't shake the paranoia. A dry sleeping bag can save your life in the mountains. So I run a drybag.

Definitely adds weight, and not as efficient (voids in pack.)

Cooter49

FNG
I have been looking into the Zenbivy too. I don't like sleeping bags, I have been hesitant to get a quilt. I'm glade I found this forum. All I was finding was from backpacker and they have great things to say about it. I wanted to see if any hunters of used it thanks guys.

thedutchtouch

Lil-Rokslider
I looked at the zenbivy systems pretty hard but ultimately went with the Big Agnes Lost Ranger 3n1. It's been good so far but hasn't gotten cold enough yet for me to test the temp limits much yet. Definitely should have gone with the ultralight version, but found a smoking deal on the regular 0 degree and couldn't justify the extra expense at the time. It's definitely not light, at a claimed 3 lb 12 oz (don't currently have a scale good enough to verify, my guess is it's a few oz heavier as BA seems to under-report weight sometimes) and the bulk issue is here as well, but in the same range as the zenbivy systems and I like how I can use half of it in warmer months, I don't believe this is an option with the zenbivys?