Zeiss "Lifetime" Warranty - refusal to stand behind its product

Kirk185

FNG
This is a forewarning to anyone who is considering buying Zeiss product(s), in part, because of the Transferable Limited Lifetime Warranty.

I have multiple Zeiss Diascopes and Victory line scopes. I have never needed to request warranty repair from Zeiss, which is a very good thing indeed. One of the oculars for an 85mm Disacope developed a small opaque “globule” on an internal lens. The globule was static indicating that it was not water. I tried a number of possible solutions, i.e., placing the ocular in a bowl of dry rice, storing it with desiccant, etc. Naturally these efforts were fruitless because the ocular is waterproof.

Because I have multiple Diascope bodies and eyepieces to choose from and Zeiss has a Limited Lifetime Warranty I wasn’t rushed to send in the ocular for warranty repair. The warranty states in relevant section:

Limited Lifetime Transferable Warranty

"ZEISS Sports Optics Optical Systems are warranted against defects in workmanship and materials for the life of the Product.

The Optical System means (a) all the components between and inclusive of the optic’s objective and ocular lens, and (b) any functional and mechanical operating system associated with the optical performance of the Optical System.

If a defect covered by this Warranty is found, ZEISS will, at its sole discretion, repair or replace the Product with a new or reconditioned ZEISS product of comparable specifications."

The response I received was surprising: “We have completed the inspection on your Vario-Okular 15x-45x/20-60x, Serial # *****40 and have determined that your optic is either beyond economic repair or not repairable.” And with that, Zeiss would not honor the lifetime warranty even though Zeiss did acknowledge that it was not due to consumer abuse or mistreatment.

I spoke to Joseph “Joe” Israel at Zeiss whose offer to resolve the matter was to sell me a used Vario-Okular at retail price but without a warranty. He went on to explain that "Lifetime" does not really mean "Lifetime" but rather what Zeiss holds to be a reasonable period of time.

Needless to say, I will no longer be purchasing or supporting Zeiss products. Swarovski’s warranty and repair department has handled all my warranty issues without pause or issue. (the range finder in a pair of Swarovski El Range stopped working. Even though the binoculars were beyond the five year warranty, Swarovski fixed the issue and at no charge. I was fully expecting to have to pay for the service and repairs because it was outside of the warranty. The point being, one manufacturer stands behind its products, even if outside of warranty coverage, and Zeiss refuses to stand behind its lifetime warranty.
Similar experience with servicing a 3x9 scope that lost nitrogen. Zeiss claimed the tube was bent which make no sense since it would have lost charge shortly after mounting... not years later. I don't hold alot of weight on warranty when making purchases.

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Sad when a company like Zeiss has a lesser Warranty than Burris
You do have to keep in mind that Burris has a lot larger margins in their product. They're probably building product for 10 cents on the dollar. Similar to say Hyundai and Porsche. One offers a 10 yr warranty, and Porsche is about the least maintenance car in the world, always on top. Just saying different products

Last edited:
Sad when a company like Zeiss has a lesser Warranty than Burris
Before everyone jumps I the rage train…I’d still like to know how old the piece of glass in question is.

I get being frustrated by the lack of clarity regarding their policy and hopefully they get it together or I probably won’t buy there stuff.

However, if this unit is 25+ years old…It might change the conversation. OP still hasn’t disclosed this info.

nobody

WKR
Before everyone jumps I the rage train…I’d still like to know how old the piece of glass in question is.

I get being frustrated by the lack of clarity regarding their policy and hopefully they get it together or I probably won’t buy there stuff.

However, if this unit is 25+ years old…It might change the conversation. OP still hasn’t disclosed this info.
Post #138 he said it was 25 years old

Beendare

WKR
I was seriously looking at buying a set of the Victories......Swaro will get my $$$

I just ordered the NL’s

Swaro had replaced my 25yr old SLCs with a brand new pair for $175- thats a warranty

Last edited:

nobody

WKR
Seems like the conversation should be is 25 years too old to make a warranty claim and expect a manufacturer to fix something I broke for free.
The problem is that Zeiss doesn't assign a lifetime or lifespan to their products. If they feel the useful life of their spotter is 10 years, then just tell us it's 10 years and this whole issue goes away. Then at least we know that when we spend $3500 on their spotter, and it can play into our decision making.
I think if Zeiss offered something like a 15-25 year warranty up front, I dont think that would affect their sales very much. It also wouldnt be deceptive, people tend to get on board with honesty up front. The problem is, they call it lifetime. You cant move the goalposts to something that isnt written, anywhere.
As @TheBootBowhunting said above in post #107, our issue is with their deceptive marketing. If Zeiss' Lifetime Warranty means anything different from Swaro's, or Vortex's, or Leupold's lifetime warranties, they need to spell it out. Because to the lay-person, lifetime=forever. That's the biggest issue and why we all have been following this saga unfold.

Sorry, not trying to come across as argumentative. Tone doesn't translate well in internet land haha

The problem is that Zeiss doesn't assign a lifetime or lifespan to their products. If they feel the useful life of their spotter is 10 years, then just tell us it's 10 years and this whole issue goes away. Then at least we know that when we spend $3500 on their spotter, and it can play into our decision making.

As @TheBootBowhunting said above in post #107, our issue is with their deceptive marketing. If Zeiss' Lifetime Warranty means anything different from Swaro's, or Vortex's, or Leupold's lifetime warranties, they need to spell it out. Because to the lay-person, lifetime=forever. That's the biggest issue and why we all have been following this saga unfold.

Sorry, not trying to come across as argumentative. Tone doesn't translate well in internet land haha
I hear ya.

I agree they need to clarify their warranty/guarantee. Period.

I just don’t think a 20+ year old optic isn’t the hill I’d die on…

I was really wanting a V4 for my 30-06. Guess I'll keep looking or just bite the bullet and get another NX8.
I don't know man. We sell a ton of scopes here at Red Hawk, and we've never had issues with Zeiss warranty like the OP was stating. We've also sold a boat load of the V4's and none ever come back for warranty or defects. I would still say that V4 is hands down the best bang for your buck. Don't get me wrong, the NX8 is a great optic too, but I still think that V4 is hard to beat.

This is definitely a crappy issue, and an even crappier response from Zeiss, but it may be worth trying to escalate with Zeiss warranty? We sell a bunch of optics here at Red Hawk and sometimes items come back that we have to send to warranty, and we've never had bad issues like that with Zeiss before. Maybe you just caught a bad customer service rep? Just my 2 cents

SloppyJ

WKR
I don't know man. We sell a ton of scopes here at Red Hawk, and we've never had issues with Zeiss warranty like the OP was stating. We've also sold a boat load of the V4's and none ever come back for warranty or defects. I would still say that V4 is hands down the best bang for your buck. Don't get me wrong, the NX8 is a great optic too, but I still think that V4 is hard to beat.
I think I've decided to try one. I love my NX8 but let's be honest, I don't think it's twice the scope as the price suggests. Thanks for the feedback and I'll give you a shout when I'm ready to purchase.

I think I've decided to try one. I love my NX8 but let's be honest, I don't think it's twice the scope as the price suggests. Thanks for the feedback and I'll give you a shout when I'm ready to purchase.
Yeah, I love the NX8's but the price on V4 is a little easier to explain to the wife lol

This is definitely a crappy issue, and an even crappier response from Zeiss, but it may be worth trying to escalate with Zeiss warranty? We sell a bunch of optics here at Red Hawk and sometimes items come back that we have to send to warranty, and we've never had bad issues like that with Zeiss before. Maybe you just caught a bad customer service rep? Just my 2 cents
As I am sure you are aware, forums like this cannot exist without paid advertisers. Your response could have stood alone without you using the name of your company. If you use the name of your company when the post could have stood alone without it, you are advertising. You have done it in two of your recent posts. I like your company and your prices, but trying to pull this crap, is sleazy, and I won't do business with a sleazy company. Don't play naive either. That crap won't fly.

Trial153

WKR
This quite possibly the stupidest thread in a long time.
Bitching that company isn’t replacing a scope that you used for 25 years is a freaking a joke.
Then to make it even dumber is the amount of tag alongs saying they cancelled the company from their buying list.

JGRaider

WKR
This quite possibly the stupidest thread in a long time.
Bitching that company isn’t replacing a scope that you used for 25 years is a freaking a joke.
Then to make it even dumber is the amount of tag alongs saying they cancelled the company from their buying list.
An even bigger joke is that people can't seem to comprehend what the written word says and actually means. "Lifetime" isn't an ambiguous term, as it is very direct and distinct........unless your Zeiss.

If anyone is wanting to get rid of any Zeiss binoculars or more specifically spotting scopes because of their trash warranty, PM me. I will trade you a vortex product of equal value.
And everybody knows Vortex has the best warranty in the business.