Zeiss "Lifetime" Warranty - refusal to stand behind its product

Summitdog

Lil-Rokslider
This is a forewarning to anyone who is considering buying Zeiss product(s), in part, because of the Transferable Limited Lifetime Warranty.

I have multiple Zeiss Diascopes and Victory line scopes. I have never needed to request warranty repair from Zeiss, which is a very good thing indeed. One of the oculars for an 85mm Disacope developed a small opaque “globule” on an internal lens. The globule was static indicating that it was not water. I tried a number of possible solutions, i.e., placing the ocular in a bowl of dry rice, storing it with desiccant, etc. Naturally these efforts were fruitless because the ocular is waterproof.

Because I have multiple Diascope bodies and eyepieces to choose from and Zeiss has a Limited Lifetime Warranty I wasn’t rushed to send in the ocular for warranty repair. The warranty states in relevant section:

Limited Lifetime Transferable Warranty

"ZEISS Sports Optics Optical Systems are warranted against defects in workmanship and materials for the life of the Product.

The Optical System means (a) all the components between and inclusive of the optic’s objective and ocular lens, and (b) any functional and mechanical operating system associated with the optical performance of the Optical System.

If a defect covered by this Warranty is found, ZEISS will, at its sole discretion, repair or replace the Product with a new or reconditioned ZEISS product of comparable specifications."

The response I received was surprising: “We have completed the inspection on your Vario-Okular 15x-45x/20-60x, Serial # *****40 and have determined that your optic is either beyond economic repair or not repairable.” And with that, Zeiss would not honor the lifetime warranty even though Zeiss did acknowledge that it was not due to consumer abuse or mistreatment.

I spoke to Joseph “Joe” Israel at Zeiss whose offer to resolve the matter was to sell me a used Vario-Okular at retail price but without a warranty. He went on to explain that "Lifetime" does not really mean "Lifetime" but rather what Zeiss holds to be a reasonable period of time.

Needless to say, I will no longer be purchasing or supporting Zeiss products. Swarovski’s warranty and repair department has handled all my warranty issues without pause or issue. (the range finder in a pair of Swarovski El Range stopped working. Even though the binoculars were beyond the five year warranty, Swarovski fixed the issue and at no charge. I was fully expecting to have to pay for the service and repairs because it was outside of the warranty. The point being, one manufacturer stands behind its products, even if outside of warranty coverage, and Zeiss refuses to stand behind its lifetime warranty.

Ya. That is some $hit service on premium products.

I have some Conquest HD binos that I hopefully never need to warranty or replace, but I guess I know where I won’t be going if I do.

Yeah, lifetime is lifetime. Pretty unacceptable for a company like Zeiss, that charges as much as it does for products, to be 1 that doesnt honor its warranty.

Sig rangefinders are the worst warranty around though. 5 years is from date fo manufacture. I had a kilo 1800bdx rf go south and was told the 5 year warranty expired 13 months after I bought it. Leupold has an equally bad RF warranty of 2 years, but its at least from date of purchase.

Last edited:

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
Many companies are like insurance companies for auto/home/etc.....rated # 1 until what you need actually costs them money then all the sudden you are fighting for the service/product you paid for.

Fcuk Zeiss and the horse they rode in on.

Good luck,

Eddie

P.S. I know Vortex is not top tier glass but their CS sure is top tier. I've sent it two binos that I bought used for service and received nothing but friendly CSRs that resolved my issue without any games or BS.

UncleBone

WKR
Thats some bad business. I am going to buy some new binos and maybe a spotting scope this summer, and I am thinking Maven. Near alpha quality, and a warranty as good as vortex, without the crazy price tags.

Dented

WKR
So much for the Zeiss scope I was looking at. For the high dollar stuff I'm interested in i want a warranty like my swarovski gear. Thanks for the heads up.

ATL

FNG
I had a similar experience in approximately 2013-2014, with Zeiss Optics. Over a riflescope that required warranty repair/replacement after approximately one year. The replacement scope I received back was of a lower quality with a standard duplex reticle. A major reason I purchased the original Zeiss scope was because of the BDC reticle they offered.

I sold the replacement Zeiss scope because it did not fit my requirements. I only own Nightforce now. SHV, NXS, ATACR. I will happily carry the slightly more weight because I have no more problems.

SloppyJ

WKR
I was really wanting a V4 for my 30-06. Guess I'll keep looking or just bite the bullet and get another NX8.

OP
Summitdog

Summitdog

Lil-Rokslider
Beendare,

Attached are several of the relevant communications.

Attachments

• 23.02.08- Re ZEISS Communication - service case - reason for distortion.pdf
    51 KB · Views: 289
  • '23.02.14 - ZEISS cost estimate -denial of claim.pdf
    103.9 KB · Views: 142
  • 23.03.03- Email Response to Zeiss_Redacted.pdf
    44.8 KB · Views: 140

WKR
I wouldn't buy from them either, but I do think they're interpreting their terrible warranty policy correctly:

Limited Lifetime Transferable Warranty

"ZEISS Sports Optics Optical Systems are warranted against defects in workmanship and materials (not against bad design features or wear and tear) for the life of the Product (whatever period they decide their product should last / not your lifetime).

The Optical System means (a) all the components between and inclusive of the optic’s objective and ocular lens, and (b) any functional and mechanical operating system associated with the optical performance of the Optical System.

If a defect covered by this Warranty is found, ZEISS will (setting up the legal obligation), at its sole discretion (just kidding, we do what we want!), repair or replace the Product with a new or reconditioned ZEISS product of comparable specifications."

My experience has been good. I sent in a V4 that would not hold zero, about a week after I sent it in they sent me a brand new scope the exact same as the one I sent. Scope was about 8 months old.

Sent in a V6 to test the parallax adjustment. They tested it and sent it back with a testing report. Joe called me and gave me a verbal explanation and asked me how I was adjusting my focus. Then gave me a different method than I was using. He then followed up a few weeks later to see how the scope was working!

Since this is an out-of-production model that Zeiss says it cannot repair, I'm curious as to the goodwill offer or any make-things-right offers Zeiss made.

Rob5589

WKR
"Lifetime" has always seemed ambiguous IMO. Most assume lifetime in the person form when companies like Zeiss are looking at the lifetime of the product. Which they apparently get to decide how long that is.

Sounds like a few insurance agents and insurance companies I have seen over the decades in this country.

They will love on you when you are paying them premiums, monthly or quarterly, but damn you once you file a legitimate claim. Almost like their phone goes dead or they don’t know how to read emails…

Best of luck with your situation, TheGrayRider.

WMag338

WKR
Dang I hate to hear this. I'm a huge fan of Zeiss optics. Never used their warranty before. Wish they would step up their customer service game.