Your first deer rifle?

I started with some old wooden 20ga pump. Don't even know the manufacturer, but I actually hunted with that for probably 15 years until they opened up rifle cartridges in my state. Then I went high tech with a bergara hmr 308, 6-24x scope, and a titanium suppressor. It's heavy to sling around, but it's fun to point and shoot. Very little sound and very little recoil.

CJ_BG

FNG
Technically my first deer rifle was a cva scout in 243, but the first rifle I killed a deer with was a ruger american also in 243. I got that at 10 years old and have been hunting with it since. The only deer the cva has taken so far was a doe my youngest brother shot a few years ago. That ruger now wears an upgraded scope and some boyds laminate furniture, but everything else is how I got it for my birthday

CJ_BG

FNG
Have you had good luck on deer? My wife and I both picked up a tikka t3x compact in 243 for $425 a piece. But they are the 1:10 twist so I’m pretty sure the LRX won’t stabilize. I run coppers but thinking the 80 TTSX or the 85 TSX.
I shot a doe last year with the 80gr ttsx and have seen a number shot with either that or the 80gr gmx. Unless you hit the cns or larger bones they don't cause a ton of damage. Puts deer down with shoulder shots but even the one I shot last year with an impact velocity of about 3070 into the scapula left me a bit unimpressed. Wounding was basically 1.5 inches of permanent damage located only in the spine, I put a finishing shot into that doe but if I wasn't only 70yds from her she may have been dead when I got to her. I think moving forward when loading copper bullets it will either be hammers or the DRT stuff. I have a load in my brothers mossberg 243 with a 69gr absolute hammer going 3650, hopefully come November I can see what that does for him.

Stubee

FNG
My first deer rifle was my Model 788 in .308 Winchester. I bought it from a tiny dealer thru my friend “Woody” in late 1972, for $69.95 with a Universal 4X scope and mounts. I loved that rifle. I only bowhunted from 1963 to 1973, and first hunted with my rifle in the Jemez mountains with my friend Porfidio. I moved back to Michigan that December but was afraid of getting shot, so only bowhunted until 1976. I shot my first buck with it in 1978, and it proceeded to take a good number of public land bucks in that same swamp. I cold blued the underside of the barrel and refinished the stock after my last face plant dragging an 8 point out of that same swamp in 1992, and bought a S/S Model 700 in ‘06 to limit future damage.

That trusty and very accurate 788 is still mine, but it’s my grandson’s come deer season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk