You like your truck camper shell for Hunting?

This is an old thread, but I’ve got probably close to 100 nights in my truck so I figured id add my .02. I have a 6.5ft f150 leer standard height topper. I bought two cabela’s 72” cots and they fit great. I put a 4” memory foam pad on them and sleep like a baby.

Pros:

Hard sided, super secure, waterproof, incredibly mobile, simple, easy to set up (none), able to lock valuables away and keep them out of the weather, some of the best sleep I get is in my truck especially in light rain.

Cons:

Moisture build up in the cold (from breathing) especially if two are sleeping, headroom sucks - my next one will be a mid rise topper, I haven’t found a good way to heat it during winter/late season when it’s 0*. If you have a lot of gear you basically have to take it all out to go to bed which is a PIA. Not really insulated and airflow can sometimes even be felt. I may try to caulk some places in the bed and put up some reflective insulation this year to help with this.

I wouldn’t go less than 6.5ft bed if you’re a normal height person otherwise, like my 6’2 buddy, you aren’t going to be comfortable in your 5ft Tacoma bed lol

BFM

FNG
I put a diamondback lid on my ranger thinking I'd get a roof top tent. For the price I could find a used camper after looking at RTTs'
I've got a love hate with the DB lid. It is as secure as you can get. It would take a pry bar to get in my bed. The build is super, does not leak unless you really try, even in a car wash I might get a few drops.
Price is about half of a topper and sometimes I wish that route. On the 5 foot bed, I can't haul anything tall obviously with out taking it off.
I really like the smart cap brand
I just moved my diamondback HD from my old truck to my new one. Have had it about 5 years. It's definitely sturdy, I haul on top of it all the time, have put some heavy loaded pallets with no issue. Have slept under it quite a few times as well, have bedrug bed liner and 8' bed. Works well enough as long as you don't get claustrophobic. It's a pita if you need to remove it regularly but a couple times a year doesn't bother me. All my gear is safe and dry and I just tie down the coolers on top.

I absolutely loved mine, BUT it dogged my little 2.7L 4cyl engine in my tacoma. I had a sleeping setup in the back and lived in it for 6 months. I probably should have kept the setup, I also wish I had it.

BWlongbow

Lil-Rokslider
ARE Commerical grade with roof rack because it has internal metal supports. Can attach numerous items to metal supports inside the roof of the camper shell.

7mm-08

WKR
I have canopies on both my trucks. And, I wouldn't have a truck without one. Sleeping quarters, dry storage, security when away from the vehicle are my main reasons for advocating one.

If you’re noncommittal, get a Softopper and Decked storage system. Softopper will keep everything dry. Decked system will keep your valuables secure and be sleeping platform. Bulky things that are unlikely to be stolen can sit on top. Pretty sure those two items together are similar to a camper shell and can both be easily removed if necessary.

The decked system with a locked tailgate is probably more secure than a camp shell window that can easily be busted open.
This is exactly what I run and it’s great. Allows me to still do truck like chores and can fold back the topper in minutes

ReaptheHeat

Lil-Rokslider
This is exactly what I run and it’s great. Allows me to still do truck like chores and can fold back the topper in minutes
How does it hold up in the elements? How many years do you expect it to last? I live at 8k with no garage and the sun gets pretty intense (UV).

My other truck had a shell and it was a pain to haul firewood (5+ cords in the bed min a year). I currently don't have a shell and firewood hauling is so much easier. I would potentially want something to fold back and taking a hard topper off/on might be a b****.

How does it hold up in the elements? How many years do you expect it to last? I live at 8k with no garage and the sun gets pretty intense (UV).

My other truck had a shell and it was a pain to haul firewood (5+ cords in the bed min a year). I currently don't have a shell and firewood hauling is so much easier. I would potentially want something to fold back and taking a hard topper off/on might be a b****.
Mine is three years old and fabric is still 100%. I don’t have the UV issue you have and do keep it garaged. If you’re interested, join the Softopper FB group. I’m sure someone could address your specific concerns.

Zeke6951

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't have a truck without a topper. I know this is an old thread, but early on some mentioned how easy it would be for a thief or tweaker to break into the topper while your away. I leave my 3/4 ton Ram at trailheads for several days at a time. I never worry about anyone getting in. I have a locking tailgate and the hatch also locks. My main defense is I back my truck as close as possible to a big tree or something that blocks the tailgate and the hatch on the topper from opening.

robtattoo

WKR
I hated the idea, forever. Always said that it stopped a truck from being a truck, until a week's worth of clothing & camping gear got drenched in a 9 hour torrential downpour on a drive to Florida. I was wet the day I arrived & so freaking miserable, I went home. No way of drying anything at 90+% humidity.

I picked up a $75 Facebook special for my old truck & immediately swore is never not have one.

I ordered one for my new truck on the drive home from the Ford dealer.

44360.jpeg
20231029_124930.jpg

buffybr

FNG
I leave the shell on my PU most of the time. Things in the bed of the truck are more secure than the open bed, and they are out of the weather.

For solo trips and hunts, I have an army cot that fits on one side of the PU bed which also gives me a place to sit when cooking, and most of my gear fits out of the way under the cot.

I keep a 4x8 sheet of 3/4" plywood "floor" on the bed which helps insulate and provides a flat surface.

When I'm hunting I have a large and a smaller coolers on the opposite side of the bed from my cot. I also have small pieces of plywood on top of the coolers for a smooth surface to cook on, and to place my lantern on.

I have a Little Buddy heater for the coldest nights.

Opening morning antelope hunting in SE Montana.
qpLpVJDh.jpg

TSAMP

WKR
I hated the idea, forever. Always said that it stopped a truck from being a truck, until a week's worth of clothing & camping gear got drenched in a 9 hour torrential downpour on a drive to Florida. I was wet the day I arrived & so freaking miserable, I went home. No way of drying anything at 90+% humidity.

I picked up a $75 Facebook special for my old truck & immediately swore is never not have one.

I ordered one for my new truck on the drive home from the Ford dealer.

View attachment 681897
View attachment 681901
Tell me more about that new one. 6.5ft bed? That looks like the unicorn I've been searching for

Wyo_hntr

WKR
Love mine. Doubt I ever own a pickup without a mid-rise topper.

20231103_155719.jpg

Last edited:

robtattoo

WKR
Tell me more about that new one. 6.5ft bed? That looks like the unicorn I've been searching for
It took me an age to find one locally that I could afford!

It's a 2018 5l V8 SuperCrew with the 6.5 bed.

I found a ton of crew & single cabs, but the SC was impossible. I bought it with 80k on the clock for $30k & I'm not going to lie, it took me about 4 hours of arguing & talking to sales people before I got there. I walked away twice.

TSAMP

WKR
It took me an age to find one locally that I could afford!

It's a 2018 5l V8 SuperCrew with the 6.5 bed.

I found a ton of crew & single cabs, but the SC was impossible. I bought it with 80k on the clock for $30k & I'm not going to lie, it took me about 4 hours of arguing & talking to sales people before I got there. I walked away twice.
Nice, what's the details on the topper? I like the profile.

robtattoo

WKR
Nice, what's the details on the topper? I like the profile.
It's a Leer 180 (not the 180 XL, they have crap locking handles) as basic as can be. I did opt for the carpeted headliner & LED interior light though. I decided against the sliding front window, even though there one in the truck, just because they're a notorious leak point.
It comes as standard with half sliding windows with bug screens.
I can't remember the exact price, but I believe it was around $3200 including installation & it is totally worth it!