You like your truck camper shell for Hunting?

Latebloomer

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been debating hard on getting a camper shell for my truck. One with side sliding windows so I can vent it out if needed. Figure I might not always make it back to my truck every night hunting, but sure would be nice to setup in my truck bed at night. Also good for securing gear that isn’t exceptionally expensive. Just wanted some “pros and cons” from guys that use them. Also if any in particular are more desirable, that including manufacturer and/or features. Primarily considering for elk and mule deer out of state hunting. Honestly looking to buy a used one.

Last edited:

fmyth

WKR
I have a simple ARE fiberglass shell on my truck. I have never camped in it but it is invaluable for keeping my gear out of site and out of the elements. After owning it for 3 years I can say I would never have a truck without a shell. Now when I stop to fill up w gas I can go inside to use the bathroom without worrying about someone grabbing my chainsaw or gas can out of the bed.

If you’re noncommittal, get a Softopper and Decked storage system. Softopper will keep everything dry. Decked system will keep your valuables secure and be sleeping platform. Bulky things that are unlikely to be stolen can sit on top. Pretty sure those two items together are similar to a camper shell and can both be easily removed if necessary.

The decked system with a locked tailgate is probably more secure than a camp shell window that can easily be busted open.

There are definitely pros and cons to them. I have one for my full size truck. If you need to use your bed for hauling things like a quad or motorcycles, they are a pain. I take mine off in the early spring for such activities and then put it back on when I’m done hauling firewood for the year.They keep your stuff dry, but as mentioned above, suck dust like crazy. If you take it off, you need a place to store it. Buy a used one, if you don’t like it, you won’t be out 1500 bucks. Keep in mind the heights of the cabs have changed over the last decade or so, so the older shells might fit length and width but look goofy with the height.

Seeknelk

WKR
Absolutely love having one. But yeah, keeps options for sleeping open. Especially in griz country. I can sleep instead of wonder " what that noise was".🤣
Ifound a used one that I couldn't pass up ,but really ,really want to upsize to one with the Gramps style raised roof. A few more inches of headroom would be amazing!

Seeknelk

WKR
I seem to have almost zero issues with dust on my basic leer. Seems I'm usually on excessively dusty roads in general too.

cnelk

WKR
I really like my topper. Wouldn’t be without one.
Keeps all my gear secure and dry. Built a partial bunk so I can sleep in in. Store stuff under bunk even more secure with a locked tailgate.

I installed hooks on the sides to be able to strap stuff on top if needed.

Spent many a night in it.

82A20CB7-2C14-43B5-AD56-EBB5382742EA.jpeg

Last edited:
I am getting 20-30 nights a year in mine easily and it is well worth it.,..but sucks dust in and pita to take on and off. I just did an mx hauler for the bike.

Depending on how flexible and skinny you are can do a top rack for sleeping and bottom rack for coolers. Use it for stealth camping regularly when I am skiing or doing early morning / late night flights and don't want to do 3hrs of driving after landing at midnight.

One of my best investment, also bought used. I have an extra tall one that allows for a sleeping platform and tons of storage underneath. Multi day trips out west- no hotel bill. Truck camp hunting is so easy and fast- pull over and your bed is already made. Gear is lockable. Can’t imagine not using one now.

Valumpessa

Lil-Rokslider
Do it! I'm on my 4th truck now and every one has had a locking canopy (currently a Tundra with Snugtop). Could not imagine life without one as others have said. For family camping trips you can stuff it to the brim and keep everything dry and secure. During hunting season I'll throw in a cot and sleep back there as needed. Great place for the wet/muddy dog to ride too.

I recently built some oversized saw horses that make it easy to slide the canopy off temporarily and haul big stuff. Makes for great versatility.

Love my high roof ARE topper! It does a great job keeping dust out. I hunt a bunch of seasons each fall and just keep my whole outfit packed and ready to hunt back there from October through December.

OP
L

Latebloomer

Lil-Rokslider
Absolutely love having one. But yeah, keeps options for sleeping open. Especially in griz country. I can sleep instead of wonder " what that noise was".🤣
Ifound a used one that I couldn't pass up ,but really ,really want to upsize to one with the Gramps style raised roof. A few more inches of headroom would be amazing!
You’re only saying what we’re all, always thinking 😉

TSAMP

WKR
Find a used one. Be patient. Don't buy a soft top. You'll learn like most others it's worth it.

Pro tip : if you see an ad with one, reach out even if it doesn't fit your model. Many times folks will have multiples, or they deal with toppers regularly and will be able to source the one you want.

This has worked for me and friends multiple times. I now have a "topper guy"