What’s your ideal hunting truck?

Ludo

FNG
I’m looking at selling my 4Runner (gets roughly 12mpg) and buying a new truck to use daily, but also as a hunting rig. I’m a Ford guy, but open to other brands. I know I want a 6’ bed, 4x4.. but do I go 1/2 ton? 3/4 ton? Diesel/gas? I apply in every western state, so this truck will rack up a LOT of miles. What do you all suggest?
Also, do you guys prefer drawer systems, camper shell, etc? I won’t be towing much in the near future, but those 6.7 Powerstroke F250’s are tempting.
Currently deciding between:
1. Keeping my 2020 4Runner (it’s regeared, on 34’s, winch, Gobi rack, etc).
2. Buying new F150 Powerboost, getting camper shell and decked drawer system.
3. Buying new F250 Powerstroke, getting camper shell and decked drawer system.

Last edited:
The 6.7 Powerstrokes are very nice.

Nicely optioned 4 door short bed F250.

I'm guessing you don't really need a "truck", so I'd say bedslide and cap. A few buddies sre set up like that and I love it.

I need an open bed a lot in my daily life, so a camper shell isn't an option for me. Sometimes you gotta make compromises!

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I have spent many, many nights in my GMC Yukon XL. Hunting, fishing or just camping. More than enough room for me, my GSP and gear. When I set up camp for a few days, I put most of my gear in the front seats or set up around camp fire.

TheHammer

WKR
I’m pretty in love with my 19 f150. Granted it’s had about every bolt touched on it and I have a crap ton of cash piled into it. I’d say you need to ask what you need out of the truck? How much pavement vs off-road/rough round/trails you need it to handle. I recently put a canvas topper on it and it serves its purpose, can easily be removed and reinstalled in minutes by oneself vs a fiberglass unit. But due to the theft threads on here it has me thinking I need to build something in the bed for security while I leave it at the trail head.

Much like you I put in all over the west for tags and have 1-2 big trips a year plus visiting various friends ranches here in TX.

I went from a '95 S10 ZR2 to a '01 1500 to a '15 1500 then a '11 2500 Yukon XL to a.... (wait)

If money weren't an issue I would 1000% go get a 3/4 Ton Suburban/Yukon XL DIESEL conversion from Duramax Specialities-- not the new 1500 Diesels but a former 6.0 gas that is fully gutted.

I loved my 2011 2500 Yukon XL and it was a beast but the 6.0 gas gets 10-12mpg whether you are crawling or going 80 and whether you are loaded down towing or bare. I didn't miss the truck bed at all, and had an easy place to camp if needed. I had a pakmule on back and if I needed more room I could've put on a rooftop set up... Inside from the back of the front seat all the way to the tailgate there is actually more room than an Excursion.

After two kids and lots of miles I opted to go a different direction--- lots of research and a visit to Tandem Off-Road led me into a Toyota Sequoia (gen2). I found a gem 2018 SR5 leather option with 40/20/40 middle row (now 40/0/40 poor mans captains). The middle seats fold flat, the rear window rolls down, the 5.7 engine is AWESOME as is the entire 4x4 system--- completely capable, added a roof rack, some ditch lights (damn tx hogs / deer) and the PakMule and shes ready for any hunting trip in the lower 48.... And I'm running 18+MPG... so an 80% increase from my 2500XL.

Dented

WKR
1 ton crew cab with the back seat removed, add a sleeping platform. Diamondback cover with a 4 wheeler on top. Gear in the bed. Gas. 4x4.

OP
L

Ludo

FNG
I've had diesel single rear wheel 3500s, crew 1500s, and just moved to a Ram Power Wagon with a topper. If that handles your towing needs there is very little better with the factory winch, lockers, and sway bar disconnect.I’ve
I've had diesel single rear wheel 3500s, crew 1500s, and just moved to a Ram Power Wagon with a topper. If that handles your towing needs there is very little better with the factory winch, lockers, and sway bar disconnect.
I’ve had a few people point me in that direction. I’ll need to take a closer look at it.

Marshfly

WKR
I’ve had a few people point me in that direction. I’ll need to take a closer look at it.
I bought this one used so I wouldn't lose too much if it wasn't for me. I absolutely love it. Comfy, tons of power, fun to drive, and will get anywhere. Mileage sucks but that's anything gas with decent size tires (I put 37s on mine...)

Attachments

• 70624195725__BBB23D05-F15E-4FF8-AFE6-570FB940611E.jpeg
    70624195725__BBB23D05-F15E-4FF8-AFE6-570FB940611E.jpeg
    349.3 KB · Views: 212
I’d say a mid sized truck of TRD pro, zr2, tremor type option if I could comfortably fit everything for 2 guys for a full week elk hunt in it but I can’t. So half ton of your preferred flavor it is. For me that’s an ecoboost f150. I’m pretty basic, just put full skid plates on a run of the mill XLT 4x4 w/ lockers and that’s plenty good for me. A tremor or raptor is probably more better but I just don’t need it.

Unless “hunting rig” means towing a camper, then a 3/4 or 1 ton might make more sense.

I think it depends on where you plan to take it in the woods or if you have an ATV/UTV for tight forest service roads and trails.

I took my ‘19 RAM crew with air bags and 34s to WY last fall. The fella hunting with us had a mildly tricked Tacoma TRD with steel bumpers/winch front and back, lockers, adjustable suspension, etc…. I was able to go everywhere he could go until it snowed and thawed and left ice on the steepest 2 tracks. I didn’t have chains or a winch in case SHTF. He had both and the size of his Tacoma made it much more compact and nimble when it got slick. I wasn’t willing to slide into a tree in my ride, and chains probably would’ve just given me a false sense of confidence that would’ve gotten me in trouble.

So, if you don’t have an ATV/UTV, and you plan on going deep off-road, I would probably stick with your 4Runner or look at trading on a Tacoma. The ‘24 can be had with a 6’ bed and the top end motor is a 4 cyl turbo hybrid with 365hp and 485 torque. Throw in the normal Tacoma mods and you’d have one hell of a capable and nimble ride.

If you do have a ATV/UTV, go with a 1500 or larger ride that meets your needs. I love my RAM and with 34s it gets up to 22mpg on flattish stuff and averages around 16-17 on mixed driving. The Ford and GM guys love their trucks too, so you’ll just need to drive them all and see which one delivers the options and value you desire.

The ecodiesels in all brands are a good option in the 1500 configuration if you regularly do some light to medium pulling (boat, camper). They deliver a better driving experience in these scenarios and better than average mpg. If you don’t pull often, go with a gasser.

If money wasn’t an option, and I wasn’t buying an ATV/UTV, and even though I would absolutely love to get a new TRX, I would still likely go with a new Tacoma and trick it out. The size is ideal for deep off-roading duties, and it’s powerful enough to pull a small hunting camper or enclosed trailer.

SPEDRAY

FNG
If you are off roading, you don't want a diesel. Take it from somebody that takes his 4 door, 1 ton, long bed diesel everywhere. Diesels are only good if you are towing heavy , every weekend. They are so front heavy, loud and expensive. Will it do it, absolutely, is it fun, no. Get a 3/4 ton gasser. Load it up with a winch, lockers, and a good set of 4: quick cam, v bar chains and you will be able to drive up anything. I love a topper if you are sleeping in the bed, but would pass on the decked drawers with the topper. It takes up a lot of height and is hard to sit up in then. If not sleeping in the bed, I like a hard sided, folding tonneau cover with home built pullout drawers. I have had soft covers blow off in 80 mph winds.

As mentioned, if you don’t tow heavy frequently, don’t get a diesel. It’s not worth it. How heavy will you haul/tow? F250 with the 7.3 gas is a beast. Will tow alot and have power to spare. It doesn’t get good mileage though. If you go the F150 route, gat the 5.0 V8. Anything with a turbo will eventually give you problems.