You like your truck camper shell for Hunting?

Dwight2180

Lil-Rokslider
I've had one for a good 15 years and a deckd for about 4. When I first got the shell, I built a 2pc bunk that was easy to slide in & out. Spent lots of nights on that thing. Now the deckd is the sleeping platform. I don't have a dust problem with my Century. I have the side sliders and flip out. The flip out side windows are pretty handy. I keep hunting or fishing gear of some sort in the bed year round.

Love mine. Sleep in it on trips and don’t have to worry about expensive hunting and fishing gear getting stolen out of the bed of my truck. Also nice not to have a bed full of snow as well.

One thing I love about mine, I have sliding side windows, but one of them the whole thing can be flipped out and opens like the rear window. Very convenient when having a bed full of stuff and needing to reach something up closer to the cab.

Piggybacking off the majority of people commenting, they are a great addition from securing gear, keeping things out of the elements, and even sleeping in them. I'm in my late 30's but it seems like once a couple of my friends got them on their trucks, the rest of saw the benefits firsthand and ended up jumping on board. On the dust factor, it seems to be hit or miss. Some suck a lot of dust while other don't and there are too many combinations to say for sure it's one brand truck or camper shell that is the problem.

I have a leer on my Tacoma for all the crap I have in the back of it between hunting, fishing, and forestry work. Haven’t taken it off since I put it on. Keeps everything dry all the time.

The one thing I’d say with bigger trucks is get a canopy with side Hatches or buy a bed sled so you can access stuff easier. Build a shelf and put plywood on top to use as a sleeping setup.

I don’t like and will never have a soft topper due to the fact that bears can trash them faster than an unopened bag of potato chips. Hard for them to open up a hard canopy when it’s locked. Watched 2 soft toppers get destroyed last year and haven’t had a problem with mine except for claw marks where bears tried to open the hatch.

Love/hate for me with a canopy.
Every truck I have ever owned had one at one time or another.
Seems like when I have it on, I want it off and vice versa.
Pro is keeping things dry (if the windows don't leak).
Con is limited height for gear.

I think security is a myth. Breaking out the rear window or jimmying the lock is probably the easiest thing a dirtbag could do to gain access. Easier than getting in to the truck anyway.

MTtrout

WKR
Camper shells are one of the first things I buy for new trucks. They do suck dust but you can mitigate that with not much effort. I highly recommend getting one with a roof liner. Really helps with condensation. I also recommend getting utility side windows that also have sliders. Makes loading and shuffling stuff around much easier and also nice to have the ability to open things up while camping and hosing/blowing out stuff out

CCH

WKR
Every time I get a new truck, I try to go without a topper. It never lasts. They are just too handy for outdoorsy stuff, especially hunting. Protection, security, shelter -- pros definitely outweigh any cons for me. Can't wait until my latest one comes in.

Shraggs

WKR
For hunting it’s a must for me for gear. First year I’ve used it for camping and for truck camping set ups going to be difficult to go back.

If you have a lighter aluminum topper pretty easy to add sone insulation.

Attachments

• CF343C09-B79E-448C-B3D0-632E5C2C8619.jpeg
    CF343C09-B79E-448C-B3D0-632E5C2C8619.jpeg
    289 KB · Views: 138

HoytHntr4

WKR
When I was younger I swore I would never have a topper on my truck. Put an ARE on mine a couple of years ago and will never go without one now. Awesome for keeping gear secure and dry. I keep a platform I built in the back of mine for sleeping on, makes for having a super mobile camp while hunting. I also tinted the windows on mine really dark so that you cannot easily see what I have locked up inside

MTtrout

WKR
I think security is a myth. Breaking out the rear window or jimmying the lock is probably the easiest thing a dirtbag could do to gain access. Easier than getting in to the truck anyway.
If someone really wants to break in to your vehicle, they will. What’s the other option for hauling lots of gear?

I do wish it was easier to remove if I wanted to get a couple bucket loads of mulch or something.

If someone really wants to break in to your vehicle, they will. What’s the other option for hauling lots of gear?

I do wish it was easier to remove if I wanted to get a couple bucket loads of mulch or something.

Trucks have alarms that can sound. Makes breaking a window a bit more calculated. A cheap flimsy piece of glass on a canopy is easy.
I am not saying don't get a canopy- I am just saying don't think it will "secure" your stuff.

Montucky

WKR
I’m an 8ft truck bed kinda guy. Had a topper on my old truck but ended up selling it & the truck separately. Bought my new truck that also has an 8ft bed, immediately put a Truxedo aluminum tonneau cover on it cause I thought I would haul wood & my 4wheeler more often than I do now. Currently my tonneau cover is falling apart from UV exposure after 3yrs & I find myself searching hard for a color matched 8ft topper & give the “ol canopy” option a second chance…… I’m loving the input on this thread already

CCH

WKR
Nothing is truly secure. I have had the rear window on a truck topper bashed in and tools stolen, but it was at an extended stay hotel while our house was being finished. Wasn't exactly a great parking spot. However, a topper sure beats an open bed.

CaliWoodsman

Lil-Rokslider
Might be a dumb question but those of you that sleep in your camper shell - is your bed longer than you? I’m 6’4” wondering if I could comfortably sleep diagonally in my F-150 short bed.

I can't imagine not having one on my truck, and also can't imagine not having the ez topper lift installed as well. If it was available when I bought mine I would've went with smartcap instead of ARE

I have had a leer on every truck since 94. Before I retired , I slept in it about 90 days a year. In the winter they provide cover for my dogs and boat while I am goose hunting.

I made a rack to slide it off when I'm not using it. That way I can use my slide in camper or wood racks during the summer.

Dos XX

WKR
Decked and ARE MX which is above cab level by 6 or 7 inches, which gains back part of the 13 inches I lost with the decked.