You like your truck camper shell for Hunting?

wingmaster

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for never going without one. I don't sleep in it, but might if I put some effort to make it comfortable back there.

On my next truck I might go for the taller shell, on a few occasions I wish I had more space.

Macro

Lil-Rokslider
Have a F-150 with a Ranch camper shell, has tinted windows, had a rack added to the top to carry a canoe, etc. have slept in it on two trips to CO. I am 5"6.I will say it was a bit crowded, with all the gear. Last year used a pop up camper, very nice.

A few of my hunting buddies have them, I want one bad.

But for most of what I do besides hunting/fishing... They are a huge hassle, or impossible.

Highhuntin

Lil-Rokslider
I have had one on my last 2 trucks, I put a led light in with a switch for camping, they are not super secure but keep things dry and better then having gear within quick arms reach for thieves.

Eldoradotim

FNG
Classified Approved
Yep to all the above.

I think there's 3 kinds of trucks:
1) valley/flatlander/bro trucks - no topper but big lift, wheels, etc
2) legit "work trucks" that need to constantly have crap thrown in/ taken out of the bed - no topper
3) outdoorsman trucks - with a topper

Being a little bit funny obviously, but I've noticed any time I'm in the mountains almost all the trucks have shells, in the city not so much. I don't want my gear wet/frozen/snow covered/walking away.....do you?

Ordered a Snugtop right after I got my Ram (different camper shells look better on different brand trucks, btw) and won't have a truck without one. Back window locks/unlocks with truck locks, light strip on ceiling, very convenient.

I don't know OP's situation, but my truck is the family truckster the family sportsmobile and the family outdoors truck. Right now it's full of skis, a snowboard, a recovery strap, shovel, the dog kennel, etc.

To the poster about sleeping in short beds.... I'm 6'2" and I sleep in mine (stupid short bed, never again!), I just lower the tailgate and feet go there. It's silly but it works, obviously not in major weather, but in light rain/snow I just attach a tarp.

Maverick1

WKR
I had a pickup with a topper. Great for sleeping in. Kind of a pain for getting gear in and out of it though. Grew tired of crawling up into the bed to get something stuck near the front. Switched over to an SUV - best of both worlds - can lie down in it, easier to load gear into and out of - and it provides heat for the back!

Marble

WKR
I’ve been debating hard on getting a camper shell for my truck. One with side sliding windows so I can vent it out if needed. Figure I might not always make it back to my truck every night hunting, but sure would be nice to setup in my truck bed at night. Also good for securing gear that isn’t exceptionally expensive. Just wanted some “pros and cons” from guys that use them. Also if any in particular are more desirable, that including manufacturer and/or features. Primarily considering for elk and mule deer out of state hunting. Honestly looking to buy a used one.
If it hasn't been said...

Instead of the slider side windows, get the kind that open like a door. You can access the side, still create venting, and secure your valuables. Some make a window that opens like a door and has a slider.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Wildone

FNG
I have an ARE on mine and don’t have any issues with dust. I’ve alway had them for all the reasons stated above.

When I moved from a full size SUV to a a Crew cab pickup I figured on a cap. But when I mentioned it to most of my buddies they discouraged me and recommended a tonneau cover. I didn‘t think I would dig the cover so I bought a inexpensive roll up. Tuxedo I think is the brand. That was 2017 and it has worked out great. My friend who had caps in the past told me I would hate driving with it everyday. And since I dont have the space or desire to pull a cap off after using it that seemed to make sense. I will buy a new pickup this year and I will buy a tonneau but I would like to try a harder trifold. My roll up el cheapo tonneau has held up great and it does not leak. I dont sticker up my vehicle so no one really knows there might be equipment in the bed. Anything like binos , firearms stay locked in the crew cab with the alarm on. I dont have to sleep in the truck so my use is just coolers and a tub or two.

hiker270

WKR
I seem to have almost zero issues with dust on my basic leer. Seems I'm usually on excessively dusty roads in general too.
I have a Leer cap on my truck and dust really is a non issue also. I did install a Tailgate seal kit from RealTruck since I live on an unpaved dusty road.

One thing not mentioned.

You can now tell all your buddies:

"Sorry. Can't help ya move, I have that topper on and can barely fit more than a dining room set of chairs in it and it costs (insert number) to take off and reinstall for the seal and electric to work effectively"

Kind of like trailers.

Once people know you have one, saying no doesn't mean no to them.

RangerJim

FNG
I love mine, it’s on an 8 foot bed and I’ve kept camping gear in it year round with no problems. It is an older truck (04) and the canopy leaks a bit in heavy rain, but if I’m smart about how I pack it my stuff stays dry. If you have a long bed I would add an extra vote to the ones with more headroom. The look kinda dorky from the outside, but saves a bunch of pain when you’re loading in and out.

They also make ones that replace your tailgate completely and have a door for easier access.

dubllung4

FNG
My next truck will have a Flated. Not really any cheaper than a fiberglass but much easier. I've got a very nice Leer on my truck now and hate taking it on and off.

taskswap

WKR
I used to hunt with an F-150 with a Decked system and a Bestop Supertop. I liked the soft top because I could still use the bed for big items like moving furniture or bikes. Some folks have commented that hard tops are better and they are, in almost every way - except I moved big stuff a LOT. I'm a DIY guy and I was always getting into some project or another, so the soft top worked for me.

And the Decked system was very secure. If you have a locking tailgate you don't even need to buy the locks for it because there's no way to get into it without opening the tailgate. If you're going to sleep back there, there are corner storage compartments you can put things in as well to keep your bed area clear (like straps and rope).

As far as actually camping back there goes, that didn't last long for me. I know plenty of guys do it but there are some drawbacks too. Tailgates (and toppers) are designed to be opened from the outside, so you need to think about how you're going to close it all up and operate it from within. There's not going to be a lot of headroom, maybe not even enough to sit up depending on how you do it. And if you need to run into town your camp comes with you.

For me that last bit was the biggest, during hunting season I hunt in an area with a lot of others and if you aren't there it's easy to lose your spot. That doesn't happen if you set up a tent, and with a tent you have a lot more head room and floor space. Plus with a tent it's easy to add a stove or propane heater - you can do that in a truck but space is very tight and safety is an issue. For my money, I'd get some kind of topper (and maybe a Decked) but not set it up to sleep in. Gear, coolers, game, firewood - load all that up and set up a tent when you're there. Just my personal opinion, everybody likes a different approach.

One thing I'll say about Decked, it has some down-sides too. I think the toolboxes aren't as good as they make them out to me - they're well made but have angles on the bottom so you can never store as much in them as you'd think. Getting one makes sense, but I made the mistake of getting enough to fill all the drawers, thinking I'd be better organized, and that just ate up a ton of space. I only ended up keeping one in the truck. I eventually sold it (changed trucks) and will say it held its value really well. I think I got about 70% back on what I spent...

colersu22

WKR
I got a canopy a few years ago for my truck used from a car dealer after looking on Craigslist and OfferUp for 6 months or so. It is a pretty much fully loaded ARE with led strip lights, folding window to clean the truck window, sliding glass for the rear window, has the electric lock wired into the truck door locks and the vent side windows. The pop out vent side windows is the only thing I would change but I picked it up for $500 and it was the correct color.

I typically put mine on when turkey starts and take it off when deer/elk season is over or I tag out. I bout a harbor freight hoist and use that set up in my garage so it’s a easy process and I can do it solo now vs having help taking it on and off.

Attachments

• 78EAE99D-C9D4-45F7-A9AF-6C48F85D2052.jpeg
    78EAE99D-C9D4-45F7-A9AF-6C48F85D2052.jpeg
    239 KB · Views: 108
  • 15610350-7273-45C4-97D1-90A569C86450.jpeg
    15610350-7273-45C4-97D1-90A569C86450.jpeg
    224.2 KB · Views: 108
I sleep in my topper frequently. Tote and cooler get stacked on one side with my cot of the other. It's a major part of my mobile strategy.

summs

Lil-Rokslider
I love my camper shell for hunting/winter time. I dislike it for summer and fishing. I don't have the room to take it on and off, if you do, wire in a easy disconnect. However, I will never own a truck without a cap, hopefully one day just own some place to take it on and off when desired.

In reality, when traveling to and fro hunting, having my bow/gun case in the back, extra clothes, tree stand, cooler etc, and I want to stop at a wawa or grab something to eat. It's locked up and safe from the elements and prying eyes.

I have camped in mine, napped in it, cooked food in it over a pocket rocket stove during a rainstorm. But I have to plan to do 'truck' things. Move a couch, fridge, pickup old xmas trees. I have to plan that to make sure it fits. When I duck hunt I have to leave the back open to have my kayak stick out.

Im young and dont mind climbing in to grab things, but If I was buying a new cap, Id buy one with no side windows, but locking solid panels that can open over the wheel wells.

I’ve been debating hard on getting a camper shell for my truck. One with side sliding windows so I can vent it out if needed. Figure I might not always make it back to my truck every night hunting, but sure would be nice to setup in my truck bed at night. Also good for securing gear that isn’t exceptionally expensive. Just wanted some “pros and cons” from guys that use them. Also if any in particular are more desirable, that including manufacturer and/or features. Primarily considering for elk and mule deer out of state hunting. Honestly looking to buy a used one.
I have a soft topper, think it's better than a hard shell cuz I can accordian it down out of the way to get to my freezer or if I need it open. I built bed/drawer on one side and can still get my chest freezer in it. It's hard to beat when you're traveling. Drive til you're tired and climb in the back, no messing with tents.

Dwight2180

Lil-Rokslider
Windoors....that's what they're called. I will add that my shell is fiberglass with carpet lined interior. I think it helps a little with heat, but definitely helps with sound sleeping in rain over an aluminum shell with no liner.