You have one shot, one broadhead….

QAD Exodus and don't worry too much about sharpening.. The blades are readily available and take about 15 seconds to swap out.. They are super tough and can take a beating (Bones, gristle, etc)..

G5 Dead Meat for me! I've killed my last 3 bulls with one and they are awesome, I was shooting Trypans prior to that but don't like the collars when busting brush all day. I've had zero issues with the Dead Meat and they are super durable as well, I've been able to reuse 3 of them after killing elk with them and you can't even tell which head was used and which was new.

This one went though a 4 point buck last fall.
View attachment 505880

This one went through my bull this fall. Might even be the same one for all I know.
View attachment 505881
What are you seeing penetration wise with these? I have never shot expandables but am considering making this year the year to try, and this is my top choice at this point.

We are pretty spoiled these days, a lot of great heads.

Right now it would be GK xl, then iron will, then exodus, then kudu, but there is a long list of heads that wouldn’t give me pause.

Have a couple packs of 200gr Valkyrie blood eagles for my wife to shoot, and they are amazing too. Now vector put out a couple great looking options… the list is long.

I killed 9 or 10 with standard 100gr muzzy back in the day without issue, and about everything is better than them. I don’t think I ever got one back I could use again, but they killed stuff well

nphunter

WKR
What are you seeing penetration wise with these? I have never shot expandables but am considering making this year the year to try, and this is my top choice at this point.
This years bull was a pass through that took a while to find. It was a super steep downhill and I hit upper 1/3 of the body and passed through just below mid body. Decent sized body on the bull. He was about 45 yards and he ran about 50 yards down hill.

208650AB-7749-4D39-86D1-13D2A19FC683.jpeg

Last year the arrow popped out the back side and made a nasty hole but didn’t pass through. Pretty much a perfect placement on the arrow. Also a 60 yard shot.

016FAA15-61C9-4A7F-91BF-6E94DFF111EE.jpeg
This is the offside under the skin. Made a big hole but didn’t come out unless it shoved back in when the bull fell on it. You can see the head. He only went like 30 yards.
14EC2880-0AF2-49ED-8795-EDAD125056B6.jpeg

This was the biggest bull I’ve killed. Big body and he spun when I shot, I was below him and the arrow went in through his chest in front of his leg and buried in his off side shoulder. This was a 35 yard shot, bull went about 90 yards.
CC555B2E-9C81-481D-AE97-BF44DB2E40C2.jpeg

I’m shooting a 500gr arrow, 278fps also. I’ve blown through a bull with a trypan also but I’m not a fan of the collars. I’ve had blades deploy dragging my bow through brush. I’ve never had that issue with these.

sivart

WKR
This years bull was a pass through that took a while to find. It was a super steep downhill and I hit upper 1/3 of the body and passed through just below mid body. Decent sized body on the bull. He was about 45 yards and he ran about 50 yards down hill.

View attachment 510353

Last year the arrow popped out the back side and made a nasty hole but didn’t pass through. Pretty much a perfect placement on the arrow. Also a 60 yard shot.

View attachment 510355
This is the offside under the skin. Made a big hole but didn’t come out unless it shoved back in when the bull fell on it. You can see the head. He only went like 30 yards.
View attachment 510362

This was the biggest bull I’ve killed. Big body and he spun when I shot, I was below him and the arrow went in through his chest in front of his leg and buried in his off side shoulder. This was a 35 yard shot, bull went about 90 yards.
View attachment 510366

I’m shooting a 500gr arrow, 278fps also. I’ve blown through a bull with a trypan also but I’m not a fan of the collars. I’ve had blades deploy dragging my bow through brush. I’ve never had that issue with these.
Very surprised that you like the deadmeat retention clips. I could never get them to hold the blades well, and blades always came loose in the quiver. I've had really good luck w/ the rage hypodermic. Gonna try the NCs this year.

nphunter

WKR
Very surprised that you like the deadmeat retention clips. I could never get them to hold the blades well, and blades always came loose in the quiver. I've had really good luck w/ the rage hypodermic. Gonna try the NCs this year.
I’ve never had a single 1 come loose. Had issues with Rage Trypans, I’ve put on hundreds of miles with them in my quiver too? I’m running a tight spot and it doesn’t push on the blades from the front which might make a difference.

cuttingedge

Lil-Rokslider
This is interesting. Seeing a lot of love for the Exodus. The G5 Dead Meat looks pretty impressive too.

I don't have any experience with elk yet, but I have killed many, many whitetails with numerous types of broadheads over the years, fixed and expandable. I know elk are in a different league.

Felix40

WKR
Muzzy trocars and NAP spitfires have been my go to. There’s a good chance I will only use spitfires this year.

SloppyJ

WKR
Exodus all the way.

I won't shoot mechanicals any longer. Last year I wanted to try a grim reaper and on opening day right at daylight I let go on a buck I had been watching for 2 months. Had 6 deer around me and it was a tough just to be able to draw back and I was amped up and pouring sweat. I let it go a little high and it looked like it just bounced off. My heart sank because I knew I stuck him in the shoulder but I had a little more hope that my 80lb draw and 500gr arrow would put in more work than that. Spent hours looking and only found 1 drop of blood about 50yds away from where I found my arrow. Swore them off that day.

Ranger313

FNG
Tooth of the arrow 125 XL or at-least that’s what I’m planning on taking on my first elk hunt. Durable and easy to resharpen.

TheViking

WKR
Tooth of the arrow 125 XL or at-least that’s what I’m planning on taking on my first elk hunt. Durable and easy to resharpen.

What’s your bow and arrow setup?

That’s a big head, with steep angles, you’re gonna need some oomph behind it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hinkraka