You have one shot, one broadhead….

Bump79

WKR
Noob learner here - nobody likes the Trophy Take Shuttle T-Lock? Why not?
I used to love them. The quality after Dan Evans sold trophy taker really went downhill.

The ferrule bends soo easy and makes them more or less disposable. They still fly amazing (if they are straight). The blades are dull, made of some low quality stainless and aren't tough or hold an edge well.

If you want a reasonable priced head the Grim Reaper, QAD, Magnus, RAD or G5 Striker are far superior quality. If they made the Shuttle T with a titanium ferrule and hardened AEB-L blades.. I'd definitely buy them.

sneaky

"DADDY"
WacEm has killed a pile of elk over the years, easy to tune as well

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I’d take the shot with 125 grain vector md3. They are 1.25” diameter 3 blade that fly awesome and are super durable with great edge retention. I’ve killed at least 4 times (deer and hogs) with these since they came out this fall and every time I’m amazed how big the holes are. I can sharpen up on my diamond plates after. Annihilator XL 125 grain would be my backup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mslater

FNG
I used to love them. The quality after Dan Evans sold trophy taker really went downhill.

The ferrule bends soo easy and makes them more or less disposable. They still fly amazing (if they are straight). The blades are dull, made of some low quality stainless and aren't tough or hold an edge well.

If you want a reasonable priced head the Grim Reaper, QAD, Magnus, RAD or G5 Striker are far superior quality. If they made the Shuttle T with a titanium ferrule and hardened AEB-L blades.. I'd definitely buy them.
Awesome - thanks for the input and recommendation.

DuckDogDr

WKR
Zwikey Delta 175 - got a complete pass through on a caribou at 35 yards with my Hoyt Satori recurve (65lbs).. broadhead through the fletching and landed 20 yards on the opposite side

This combo also worked well on pigs in Texas.
There are about 23 that succumbed to that combo. 50% complete penetration through other side but arrow would lodge in the body cavity.
Th others arrow would bury about 8” deep but result was same .. all piled up within 50-60 yards

Last edited:
I completed the last 5 animals of an archery super slam with original US made 1.5 "diameter 3-blade NAP Spitfire expandable 100 grain heads. When it was all on the line for a Dall sheep, a Polar bear, a Tule elk, a Mt Caribou and a Central Canada Barren Ground caribou the Spitfire proved accurate, sharp and tough enough for the task.

Also shot a quite a few other animals with them including a Canada moose, many Black bears, a few Coues bucks, since I started shooting them in 2017.

That said I'll likely be shooting a VAP fixed head (or a Zwickey Delta) for an upcoming Australian buffalo hunt. I've ordered the VAP heads, some heavier shafts and components but they are not in yet.

But I plan to go back to Spitfires on my 4mm 472 gr arrows after the buffalo hunt.

Specifically for Elk - if you had to choose one broadhead for one shot, what are you taking? I say that because I feel like some broadheads might not be as effective for resharpening as others, yet more lethal initially.
I have used the Iron will heads now for 2 seasons they leave amazing holes and do very well with bone. Best Fixed heads I have ever shot for Accuracy, Durability and ability.

CentennialState

Lil-Rokslider
I have used the Iron will heads now for 2 seasons they leave amazing holes and do very well with bone. Best Fixed heads I have ever shot for Accuracy, Durability and ability.
Have you shot fixed 3 blades as well, and can you comment on the penetration comparatively?

Man, there's a ton of good broadheads that I'd trust on elk. Killed my first bull with a Simmons Land(?) Shark (2" cut).
Right now, I favor edge retention and durability. If I had to pick ONE head for one shot on a lifetime bull, it would be an IW Wide cut in whatever grain tunes to my arrow. Or a Sevr 2.0. Or a G5 Mega Meat. Or a Cutthroat 3 blade. Or a Magnus Black Hornet. Or... well, you get the picture.

Elk97

WKR
Tooth XL. I used to use Exodus and have nothing bad to say about them (elk in pic was taken with one) but the TOTA hits where my field points do everytime and they are super tough.

Its dependent on bow set-up, arrow set up, distance, wind, practice, etc. For me right now, at random distance etc, it’s a rage trypan.

johnw

FNG
Cutthroat 3
How have your blood trails been with these on elk? I grabbed a pack along with a few other brands and have been testing over the past 2 months. Really like the cutthroats -- quiet and group well -- have killed several elk with IW's but looking for something that will produce a better blood trail.