You have 5 WY preference points. Where are you applying?

I'll have five points next year. I had intended to build points for an eventual application to a 12 point zone but I may burn them next year and start over accumulating points with a hunting friend. A Thorofare outfitter may have an opening for me in '24 and that would check a bucket list. Beyond the Thorofare, where would you go with 5?

OP
J
You’ll never catch up to the 12 point unit.
Maybe put in for the general tag in regular draw you would probably have a decent shot at it. If you want it for sure, pony if the extra money and pay to go into the special draw.

This could help narrowing it down.
I realize that I'll never catch the 12 point unit. That's why I'm willing to burn now and looking at other hunts. I'm willing to pay for the special draw but in that unit, the quota is very small and there is no perceptible increase in odds for the special.

Gotcha. You’ll be lucky if you can get the general tag with the five points. If you want to burn them, go onto the special you should draw.
If you’re wanting to look into more of the limited quota areas , you could use your five points on some type 4/5 cow permits.

OP
J
5 points will get you a shot at the random next year.

After that you'll be in the random the rest of your life. You'll never catch up to even the general draw, let alone any lq's

So do the thoroughfarI didn't think points matter in the random?

Nontyp

FNG
I burned 8pts in the Thoroughfare last yr with some good friends. All 4 of us killed 6x6 bulls and it is definitely a hunt everyone should do once. After getting home last yr and sharing the adventure with friends 2 buddies offered to split their 15 combined points and we 3 way averaged and drew again this yr. So now I get to hunt the Thoroughfare back to back years. I’m afraid of how long it will take to draw WY again on pts.

I would do the Thoroughfare if I were you, especially if the adventure rivals the kill

OP
J
I burned 8pts in the Thoroughfare last yr with some good friends. All 4 of us killed 6x6 bulls and it is definitely a hunt everyone should do once. After getting home last yr and sharing the adventure with friends 2 buddies offered to split their 15 combined points and we 3 way averaged and drew again this yr. So now I get to hunt the Thoroughfare back to back years. I’m afraid of how long it will take to draw WY again on pts.

I would do the Thoroughfare if I were you, especially if the adventure rivals the kill
Adventure>Kill. Did you hunt the rut or migration?

I think a general tag is your best bet at this point in time. I had more points than I needed for a general this year. I shared with another hunter that shared some intel with me since this will be my first time hunting in WY. It's been a great arrangement so far!

KHNC

WKR
It is a shame how hard it is to get a tag in WY now. I havent drawn a GEN tag since 2018. Even using Special.

wytx

WKR
If they implement the regions in 24 that Western side might get much harder to draw. 2775 tags for the Western Region of general licenses is what is proposed and many are trying to get that number reduced.
Might be plenty of licenses to go around but odds my go up.
Chance that the regions may get tweaked too at the comm. meeting next week.

Archer86

WKR
If they implement the regions in 24 that Western side might get much harder to draw. 2775 tags for the Western Region of general licenses is what is proposed and many are trying to get that number reduced.
Might be plenty of licenses to go around but odds my go up.
Chance that the regions may get tweaked too at the comm. meeting next week.
Yup i think this might be the most over looked thing in the elk regions by nr hunters and outfitters.
That western regions is going to be a few points above what a general took this year I would guess if it's implemented

Nontyp

FNG
We hunted the 3rd season around Oct 7th last yr. This yr we are going in for the opening rifle season.