You have 5 WY preference points. Where are you applying?

5 points, I’d go general unless someone was sharing points with me.

Last edited:

Zim

FNG
I’d also just do general. Shared my 8 this year with two others and drew regular gen at 5.33 happy to jump off the treadmill & just hunt.

Tman24

Lil-Rokslider
As a guy who didn’t draw any tags this year, I’d say go for the general if you want to hunt.

OP
J
As luck would have it, I called to book a hunt in the distant future in the Thorofare (outtfitter otherwise booked through '28) but had a cancelation for a lone hunter in '24. I'm booked and will burn my points. Unfortunately, the outfitter requires that I enter the special drawing even though I have (at least based on this year's statistics) enough points to draw in the general. The outfitter anticipates a large increase in general applications due to sharp increase in special drawing license fees. Not a big deal to me. Bucket list item about to be punched. I'm pumped ...

Any bull size ? Then lots of options

Best chance at a big bull? Then gotta figure out what kind of hunting you want. ATV - flat - mtns - hike - horses … ?

Narrow down and re-ask for more specific answers to help your search

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
J

Best chance at a big bull? Then gotta figure out what kind of hunting you want. ATV - flat - mtns - hike - horses … ?

Sent from my iPhone using

Too late - going to Thorofare.

Are you doing your own application or is the outfitter submitting for you? If he is submitting and wanting you to do the special he may be using your points to pool with their other hunters in a group application, some of which may not have as many points as you. Maybe some have more. A friend of mine booked and hunted with an outfitter a couple years ago and his outfitter did this and also convinced him to do the special even though he had 3 more points than what it would likely take. He logged into his account to see his app was a party app with others who had less points than him. I personally wouldn’t have a problem with it if the outfitter told him what he was doing up front. It all worked out for my friend, he killed a rag horn and was happy.

OP
J
Are you doing your own application or is the outfitter submitting for you? If he is submitting and wanting you to do the special he may be using your points to pool with their other hunters in a group application, some of which may not have as many points as you. Maybe some have more. A friend of mine booked and hunted with an outfitter a couple years ago and his outfitter did this and also convinced him to do the special even though he had 3 more points than what it would likely take. He logged into his account to see his app was a party app with others who had less points than him. I personally wouldn’t have a problem with it if the outfitter told him what he was doing up front. It all worked out for my friend, he killed a rag horn and was happy.

Own application.

wytx

WKR
Good luck on that draw and hunt.

Interesting that your outfitter is requiring you apply in the Special.

Archer86

WKR
Good luck on that draw and hunt.

Interesting that your outfitter is requiring you apply in the Special.
It might have to do with the fact that the commision approved the nr elk regions and they're worried about point creep being a killer in the western part of the state next year