You have 5 WY preference points. Where are you applying?

OP
J
Ill be hunting with yellowstone outfitters for the first time in 3 weeks. Hope to see some elk and hear some bugles. Have diy elk hunted and it was brutal. Hoping thid time is different.
Best of luck to you. I can't wait to hear about it.

Aviator

WKR
I’m considering Yellowstone outfitters for a future hunt would be interested in knowing how your hunts go this fall.

Can someone explain the type 9 tag for me for unit 60. Wyo game and fish is very confusing in terms of what it takes to draw the tag. I have 5 and my friend has 3 pts and we plan to apply as party, have a friend who is a resident and has horses. This year looks good for taking time off and we both are okay only hunting archery. Is it a guaranteed draw with a couple points or am I missing something? Could risk a general tag which would be ideal but I know we wont draw with an average of 4 points.

Can someone explain the type 9 tag for me for unit 60. Wyo game and fish is very confusing in terms of what it takes to draw the tag. I have 5 and my friend has 3 pts and we plan to apply as party, have a friend who is a resident and has horses. This year looks good for taking time off and we both are okay only hunting archery. Is it a guaranteed draw with a couple points or am I missing something? Could risk a general tag which would be ideal but I know we wont draw with an average of 4 points.

Have you gone to their website and looked at the draw odds? It is pretty simple for the unit and type 9 tag you are asking about. You will want to look at preference point draw odds for both the regular and the special draw’s plus the random draw odds. The preference draw odds, both regular and special, tell you at what point level each tag was issued for 2023. Keep in mind the 2024 draw may be significantly different with a much bigger distinction in cost for a special application. Good luck and welcome to Rokslide

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Have you gone to their website and looked at the draw odds? It is pretty simple for the unit and type 9 tag you are asking about. You will want to look at preference point draw odds for both the regular and the special draw’s plus the random draw odds. The preference draw odds, both regular and special, tell you at what point level each tag was issued for 2023. Keep in mind the 2024 draw may be significantly different with a much bigger distinction in cost for a special application. Good luck and welcome to Rokslide

Thanks for the response, so the first column of draw odds say quota of 1, 3 issued w/ preference points <5, 3 first choice applicants for a first choice success of 33.33%. Next column has quota of 0/zero issues, pref points <=4 with 11 first choice applicants with success of zero. So seems like < =4 points we wouldn’t, but I am confused about that first column more than anything.

GoHunt has 100% success at 5 points, 0 at 4 points.

Thanks for the response, so the first column of draw odds say quota of 1, 3 issued w/ preference points zero issues, pref points

It’s either a misprint for 3 issued or a party of 3 drew. My guess is it was a misprint which is why it lists 33 % draw for first choice apps. If you apply with a party of two knowing the regular quota is one in the regular pref pt draw then you really are not giving yourself much of a chance.

Thanks for the response, so the first column of draw odds say quota of 1, 3 issued w/ preference points zero issues, pref points

Your last bullet about GOHUNT. I use it all the time and think it is a great tool, but when draw odds for a unit with only a handful of tags and you have a system like Wy where they break up those tags for regular draw, special draw and random all it takes is one or two people really screwing up their draw odds because they apply and get the tags with a lot more points than what it has taken in the past.

Thanks for the response, so the first column of draw odds say quota of 1, 3 issued w/ preference points <5, 3 first choice applicants for a first choice success of 33.33%. Next column has quota of 0/zero issues, pref points <=4 with 11 first choice applicants with success of zero. So seems like < =4 points we wouldn’t, but I am confused about that first column more than anything.

Could have been party of 3 burnt some points (<5) or typo.
In 22 the 1 tag was drawn with 1 point.

Okay starting to make a little more sense; just when I startes to think I had Wyoming down! I appreciate the input. Now the question of if I should risk it in the general season or just commit to unit 60😬