You ever skip a year of hunting to do something else?

boom

WKR
Hunting costs me a big chunk of my disposable income. I go in eyes wide open. Wife is on board and we budget for it all.

I’ve been thinking of crossing something off the bucket list. Picking a foreign country, shipping my motorcycle to it and riding around the vast area solo. Crossing borders into another country? Yes!

Outfitting a motorcycle isn’t for the feint of heart. I’m lucky if I don’t torpedo this years hunting budget. Haha.

Some of you all are blessed owning farms and stuff with deer and turkey. Me? No, it’s a major event. Anyone forgo hunting temporarily to chase other adventures?

NoWiser

WKR
I'm skipping a hunting trip this year to spend a week fishing Kodiak Island with a few close family members/friends. It's been a bucket list item for me for years now and, with a baby on the way, the Alaska trip worked out much better than a hunting trip for my schedule.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I skipped 7 years of hunting to pursue other goals, I had a great time but hunting is what drew me back.

I’ve taken a few years off from it here- but only because

I drew tags in Afghanistan and Iraq in 03,04 and hunted them those years and then again in 05. in 06 and 09 I blew off iraq entirely and was able to draw my preferred K/G pass tag in Afghanistan both years and really put all my focus on those opportunities. Then 2017 I blew off to get shoulder surgery which was a pretty swee adventure too hey!!

Oregon

WKR
I’ve taken a few years off from it here- but only because

I drew tags in Afghanistan and Iraq in 03,04 and hunted them those years and then again in 05. in 06 and 09 I blew off iraq entirely and was able to draw my preferred K/G pass tag in Afghanistan both years and really put all my focus on those opportunities. Then 2017 I blew off to get shoulder surgery which was a pretty swee adventure too hey!!

Wish I could hit like button more!

Yes, life & family happens that is #1, sometimes you don't have the choice, you need to learn that you can't always have it your way. Missed some years being in Africa, this year missing out on Turkey hunting. Oh well.

NV HUNTER

WKR
7 years. From the time my daughter was 12-18. She is a very talented softball player. She wanted to play travel ball (club ball). End goal was to earn a scholarship and play college softball. She did it and now i get to hunt a little more, but i enjoy traveling to see her play as well. In a couple years it will all be over and i will have plenty of time to hunt.

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
I missed about a week of muzzloader season a few years ago for my brother's wedding in florida, other than that when i was in college and worked at wal mart i couldnt get off work thanksgiving week and missed the majority of hunting season for a couple years but would still manage to go to camp for a weekend or so here n there.

I've blown off a lot of hunting seasons...my dad always gives me crap about it, he spends the full month in moose camp, 10 miles in the backcountry, then heads down to E. Oregon/ ID for muley/elk rifle season....each and every year.
Between kids and work, many seasons just seem to slip through my fingers, but that's the priority right now...ten more years, it might be a different story (I'm 40).
....and I NEVER miss my salmon fishin'...:D

Fatcamp

WKR
My wife and I have been gaining higher levels of education. Missed a lot of stuff. Wrote papers on the drive and have done homework about anywhere imaginable. These degrees will allow us quite a bit of freedom in the years to come.

bozeman

WKR
I plan a trip every 'other' year for this reason. Don't want to miss the vacations with the kiddos while they are growing up, so a hunting trip one year and a trip to the beach for a week and then the next year its two trips with the kiddos/wife...…….if the Lord allows me to live, I'll hunt/fish when they are on their own.....

I've missed the 7 years of hunting to be a guide. Wouldn't trade it for the world, but certainly do miss filling my own freezer with a moose every year.

87TT

WKR
Took a cruise to the West Pacific in '72' but that was it. Joined the Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club. May have cut back some when the kids were little or was working some but never missed a whole season.