You ever skip a year of hunting to do something else?

If there is a will, there is a way. Be fun to grab a flight and just make it work.

I'm deaf - no playing in bear country without someone and a dog or two watching over me.

This reminds me of one time hunting with my now good friend.
We were out hunting one day and it was about 10:30 am. Hunting was slow and I asked him how long he wanted to stay out. He replied " I will give it until 12:00 but then I should probably go because I am getting married at 3:00......"
We have been hunting together for 28 years since. 🤪 Got off track. The answer is no. We haven't missed a hunting season before or since that day.

Last edited:
Never skipped a season, but I've had to skip hunts. Mostly because time off is so limited and I am limited to 7 days off each month.

My wife wanted to chase freshwater coho with flies a couple years ago before kids so we flew out and did the lodge thing in late August instead of an August caribou hunt (still pulled off a goat and moose hunt that fall). My Mom's birthday is August 8th and she turns 60 this year. So I will be spending my sheep vacation days in the Midwest with her (still will get a moose/bear trip in Sept and Kodiak hunt in November so I'll live). I will miss any hunt for either of them women. I would be a fart in the wind without them.

Now to completely miss a hunting season to go overseas by choice or sit on a beach.......NO, NEVER!

I skipped my elk hunt last year because we had our third kid. Would have been tough to leave the wife at home with a 4 year old, 2 year old, and newborn. I'd imagine there will be other years where life circumstances cause me to skip a year.

Maybe skip portions of hunting season like out of state trips for the right circumstance... but skip an entire year absolutely not, will never do that.

Got into long range fishing and skipped a couple years of big game hunting outside my home state. Also hunts got real selective back when gas was north of $4 the first time. But that forced me to learn my local areas and appreciate the close by opportunities.

I also waterfowl hunt and typically wont buy into a club if many big game hunts are on the docket

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I pushed aside hunting for a few years while chasing Ironman triathlon dreams for a while. The tremendous amount of time spent training for 3 sports, swim/bike/run, is incredible. Literally occupied all of my spare time. Now that I'm back to heavy hunting, I train to stay in shape; not to be competitive in races.

I usually miss a few days of Turkey season every year when the Cobia show up, also miss a few days in the fall when the wahoo and yellowfin are running. I like to think of myself as a equal opportunity freezer filler...

never missed a whole year of hunting.had to miss out of state hunts and more expensive trips because of family/kids school etc.. their is always something to hunt close by if you really want to hunt reasonably.now im trying to catch back up at 50 its not as easy but still as much fun. family comes first then personal priorities.i try to incorporate my family whenever I can it makes things easier and doesn't make it all about me!!

This year was the only year I would say “skipped” bc I was only able to get out for 2 days while finishing up my masters. I’m in a heavy populated whitetail area so I still got three deer for the freezer in those 2 days but it is just not the same as taking a week or so off to just hunt and hang out in the woods. You don’t get that mental reset if that makes any sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took off ten years from hunting and fishing to Interview over fifty WW2 Veterans were in the same company in the war. Flights all around the US, several trips to Europe, national archives, personnel records center research, and hours spent documenting it all took up my time and money.

In the end I wrote a book about the men. I am not a writer but was fortunate to have the book published. Their unit history and personal accounts are forever preserved for their children and grandchildren, as well as those interested in history. I was racing time as the men were in their 80s when I started so I had to decide between my personal activities and interviews and research. I do not regret it as I considered it an honor to be a part of those heroes lives. But I jumped back into hunting full speed afterwards.
Is your book available to the public? I love history and even more so from that generation.

I’m taking it a little easier this year and next because I’m going to Christmas Island fly fishing for a week next spring. Still be hunting a bear, elk, and Coues’ deer this fall still. Next year will get a Utah General deer tag and whatever else I can scrounge up relatively close to home. Putting off spring bear until 2021.

Back