Lesson #2 from a 56 year old self taught DIY'r - take care of the feet! If you are new to elk hunting, read this!!

ELKhunter60

Lil-Rokslider
I live in Michigan and began doing some DIY elk hunts about 25 years ago. Back then there was not as much information available at your fingertips about hunting out west - but I read magazines, watched videos and did what I could to learn. Starting out my main focuses was on calls, broadheads and elk decoys. I come from humble beginnings and had to watch my nickels - especially when I was raising kids so boots were always something I knew I needed, but bought 1/2 based on what was on sale and 1/2 on what felt good when I tried it on. For the first 10 years of my elk hunting adventures I ALWAYS got blisters and even lost a few toe nails. We used to joke that we were going to drill a hole in our toenails and make a necklace out of them only to be worn in at elk camp.......:)
I finally began to realize just how important taking care of your feet are when I found myself ending a trip 1 day early due to my feet hurting so bad. It was time to get this figured out!

When I got home I ended up spending a lot of time researching boots, trying various ones on, and figuring out I needed wide boots a 1/2 size bigger than I had been getting. I bought some good boots in early spring and started breaking them in slowly at first and then wore them more and more until they were somewhat broke in. I also read about the importance of sock liners. Sock lines are said to help with blisters so I bought 3 pair.

The next elk season I went in deep and steep for a solid week. I was lucky enough to harvest a 6x6 bull that year and put 50 heavy miles on that week. My feet were a little soar after that week but no blisters!!! I've kept using the same boots and sock liners ever since and have not gotten one blister or lost one toe nail.

Somebody once wrote in an article that our boots are like the tires on our truck - if you don't have the right ones, your not always going to go where you want to go. They were right! Now when I talk to guys who want to try elk hunting, one of the first things I talk about is feet. Take care of them! Get good boots early! Break them in wayyy ahead of time! Worry about feet BEFORE broadheads or elk decoys.

Thanks for reading!

Great point! My wife thinks I’m a boot junky. She thinks camo is important, I buy one or two good pieces in solid but wear through a pair or two of good boots every two years.

I agree. I started life with so so boots and lived with hurting through heat and cold. A common break-in practice was to soak them with your feet in them and wear them till they dried.

In the early 80s, I bought a pair of whites custom made to fit my feet. I'm still wearing them with no discomfort. Periodically I replace the tread or repair what stitches wear out as needed.

I bought a second pair 10 years ago and alternate them so with heavy use they have time to dry out. For the sake of sanity and healthy feet, I think it is important to buy the best you can afford and maintain them. Your feet will appreciate your attention.