Wyoming residents want first chance at leftover big game tags

Btaylor

WKR
I’d imagine WYGF would rather take in NR fees than resident fees for these leftover tags that the residents didn’t originally want. Maybe the way to do it is how Idaho did and allow the residents to buy a second buck tag at the non resident rate? Offer the leftovers to the residents for the non resident rate and everyone is happy; WYGF gets no cut in funding and residents get their tags.
And do it on one draw cycle. There is no reason for westren state regs to be so dang convoluted or preference point based. Set the unit allocation, 80/20, 3 choices, draw and all remaining tags go in a left over pool at NR pricing.

cgasner1

WKR
Kinda funny how we have all seen a huge growth in residence in our states and it seems just one state keeps complaining and trying to change things. I still can’t wrap my head around after 3 hunt choices you didn’t draw and they have left over tags. We don’t have left over tags for antelope in Montana and after our first choice your not drawing so some years we don’t antelope hunt it’s a way of life some people in other states may have to get use to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holy crap, when does a "leftover" tag become, well a " leftover" tag ? Here's how it works .
First- contact every man, woman, and child in the state by all communication modalities email, text ,phone, snail mail, newspapers, telegraph, smoke signal and candy gram. Make sure everyone is set on their tags. When that step has been met move on to step 2
Second -simple math formula , (234-564)4×67÷27 (76-79)%3×5 (21+4 (4×3)3)=$$$ and then and only then, after this criteria has been met we will then let the non-residents at the "leftover " tags. Its just that simple

Reactions: OMB

BuzzH

WKR
Kinda funny how we have all seen a huge growth in residence in our states and it seems just one state keeps complaining and trying to change things. I still can’t wrap my head around after 3 hunt choices you didn’t draw and they have left over tags. We don’t have left over tags for antelope in Montana and after our first choice your not drawing so some years we don’t antelope hunt it’s a way of life some people in other states may have to get use to.

There used to be a lot of leftover licenses for pronghorn in Montana...most of them in 700, and both buck and doe tags.

Probably haven't lived in Montana long enough to know.

You probably didn't know about the region wide OTC doe pronghorn tags either I'm guessing.

cgasner1

WKR
There used to be a lot of leftover licenses for pronghorn in Montana...most of them in 700, and both buck and doe tags.

Probably haven't lived in Montana long enough to know.

You probably didn't know about the region wide OTC doe pronghorn tags either I'm guessing.

Use to be doesn’t mean anything it’s a 30% ish draw last year how do we fix that so people can pull it on a 12th choice this year?

BuzzH

WKR
Use to be doesn’t mean anything it’s a 30% ish draw last year how do we fix that so people can pull it on a 12th choice this year?

Not going 15 rounds on this, I'm just telling you what some residents are thinking and why.

The way you fix it in Montana is to get the fwp to start managing biologically instead of socially. Wouldn't be 30% draw odds if pronghorn weren't pounded flat and not allowed to recover.

tdhanses

WKR
Not going 15 rounds on this, I'm just telling you what some residents are thinking and why.

The way you fix it in Montana is to get the fwp to start managing biologically instead of socially. Wouldn't be 30% draw odds if pronghorn weren't pounded flat and not allowed to recover.
But… make sure the residents each get 6 tags at the same time 😆

cgasner1

WKR
I use to be able to hunt most of my state on a second choice archery tag now I have to pick a single unit and they are first choice only for elk how do we fix this

cgasner1

WKR
Maybe Wyoming should switch it so the residents apply in Jan they can have 10 choices. Then after that is drawn out we see what is left and put out a list and that’s what the non residents get to apply for?

fatlander

WKR
Admittedly, by proponents of the change, there’s less antelope than there used to be. This change has nothing to do with actual conservation and restoration of the species. If the residents of Wyoming were asking for less tags across the board, to help the population rebound, I’d send my support and even a donation to the cause. That’s not the case here and that’s a problem.

Hunting, much like freedom, is nothing more than one generation away from being history. Selfishness will be our demise.

Maybe Wyoming should switch it so the residents apply in Jan they can have 10 choices. Then after that is drawn out we see what is left and put out a list and that’s what the non residents get to apply for?

I like the way you think.

manitou1

WKR
Buzz. Just curious. What is the reason the unit you used to draw second choice is now less than 50% odds? Is it due to tag cuts or just more people applying?
I can remember the “good ol days”😁 of driving to WY and picking up a buck tag and up to 4 doe tags if we wanted at the local Hardware Hanks. Now that unit takes 3-4 points as a NR and doe tag odds are about 25%. There were a few tag cuts but also a major spike in NR apps. I feel WY antelope is one of the most popular and most publicized hunts for many when starting to hunt out west.
I do agree residents should have preference to their tags though. I just can’t imagine a resident not being able to pickup an antelope tag with 3 choices in the initial draw. It might not be in their preferred unit but surely there are tags to be had.
We need to keep in mind that if your second and third choice areas all go to first choice applicants, then you stand zero chance of drawing in the second and third choice, which is the norm here now. Very few units don't meet quotas with the first choice, leaving tags for second or much less, third choice draws... and the few that don't are very poor units.

manitou1

WKR
Would I be off in suggesting more than 3 choices in the initial draw for residents? Why a second draw with 3 more chances? Just give residents 6 chances in the first draw.

Or, why not a 4 th choice like NM, where you agree to take any leftover tag….
Second or third choices mean nothing if the quotas are met in the first choice draw, which is pretty much the norm in public accessable areas.

BuzzH

WKR
Admittedly, by proponents of the change, there’s less antelope than there used to be. This change has nothing to do with actual conservation and restoration of the species. If the residents of Wyoming were asking for less tags across the board, to help the population rebound, I’d send my support and even a donation to the cause. That’s not the case here and that’s a problem.

Hunting, much like freedom, is nothing more than one generation away from being history. Selfishness will be our demise.

Call and talk to the local biologist in Laramie and ask him about the recent conversation we had about doing something about pronghorn populations.

I had a chat with my commissioner as well, and he/we agreed the current tag cuts are not deep enough...

I'll be looking for your support.

cgasner1

WKR
I like the way you think.

Your new here you should understand a lot of us do really appreciate the buzz fights like he does but we also get very sick of this I’m better than you because I love here stuff. Few years ago he posted pictures up of all his left over tags that he bought so non residents could buy them that he was going to use for paper to start his fires at home to stay warm. Then you get the well if you don’t like it move here which a bunch of people did. Now with decreasing antelope numbers you can’t get tags. The increase in population from all the preaching probably didn’t help this draw odds. If you can’t figure out how to pull a tag that’s been a left over with 3 choices I’d be happy to help since apparently numbers are hard. If it comes down to needing something to start a fire those days are probably over I’d recommend a new paper. End of the day your state wants the money from those tags and the tags filled. It goes back to that management thing they aren’t issuing them because it’s socially cool

cgasner1

WKR

Fwp is managing it biologically that’s why the draw is so late. They fly and survey the animals and adjust the tags according for the animals on the landscape I may be a transplant of only 15 years but sounds like you have been gone to long

BuzzH

WKR
Fwp is managing it biologically that’s why the draw is so late. They fly and survey the animals and adjust the tags according for the animals on the landscape I may be a transplant of only 15 years but sounds like you have been gone to long

No, I hunt Montana every year, native OTC license.

Pronghorn have been grossly mismanaged in Montana...ask anyone that hunted it in the 80's-early 2000's.

I would post pictures but you probably wouldn't believe it....

cgasner1

WKR
No, I hunt Montana every year, native OTC license.

Pronghorn have been grossly mismanaged in Montana...ask anyone that hunted it in the 80's-early 2000's.

I would post pictures but you probably wouldn't believe it....

The current date is April 8th 2022 the landscape of Montana has changed quite significantly since the 80s. Those pictures you have could be a subdivision by now. I’d be curious to hear how we all get tags but the herd numbers grow seems like to grow the herd people have to go without like in our 700 tag and the odds dropping to 30%

BuzzH

WKR
On second thought, if you don't know what it was like, you can't understand the potential.

One of the biggest problems Montana faces is that guys move to Montana (don't blame them), and think they have it good. I've heard people make some outlandish claims, like there never were a lot of elk in the Bob Marshall, mule deer have bad genetics in Montana, and the FWP manages pronghorn correctly.

Most don't realize that Montana used to allow hunters to kill 2 buck mule deer a year. All through the 80's up to 6 buck whitetails a year, or that grizzly hunting was allowed into the 90's.

Pronghorn numbers were off the charts in the 80's-mid 90's....up to 4 per hunter. Even after the season closed, it didn't even look they had been hunted.

I checked some old regs, Montana was offering 17K pronghorn buck tags in the 700's, each applicant could buy 2 doe/fawn tags if they drew a buck tag, another OTC for any area, region specific for Regions 4-7. So total of 4.

To call what pronghorn hunting is today good, and with proper management happening, is just not factual. Its a joke and herds will never improve with the current level of harvest.

I doubt 6 guys could kill this many pronghorn in a day even if the tags were available to do it...we had 18 by open day evening.

18ant.JPG

Another one day deal, 3 bucks 15" or better 5 bucks and 5 does.

buzzant11.JPG

BuzzH

WKR
The current date is April 8th 2022 the landscape of Montana has changed quite significantly since the 80s. Those pictures you have could be a subdivision by now. I’d be curious to hear how we all get tags but the herd numbers grow seems like to grow the herd people have to go without like in our 700 tag and the odds dropping to 30%

Eastern Montana where we hunted pronghorn hasn't changed a bit...but it makes for a good story/excuse for the FWP. Was through the exact country we hunted in 2020 enroute to a breaks bull hunt, and the nearest town is smaller now than when we hunted it.

What didn't change is the local moose lodge putting on a hunters dinner the night before opening day, which was good to see.