Wyoming NR Special increase headed for the Gov's signature

sneaky

"DADDY"
Folks booking guides and going every year could care less about the bling...they are pissed now because they can't go every year..hence the change in the law...Teton county is the richest county in the richest country in the world majority of comes from NR...let that sink in. Even if one guy gets tired of all the bling there are at least 10 others willing to take his spot
Teton county types would outlaw hunting if they could.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
I don't think the outfitters are scumbags and as pointed out above, you almost $1300 short. Outfitters have a place for sure but when rules have to be changed to cater to them, it bothers me.

As to your suggestions, many of us on here already did those things to make it affordable at the previous regular pricing. While that regular isn't changing price, it is going to become a much more difficult tag to obtain. Cherish those tags when you draw them guys...
How's he $1300 short? He said an "extra $758". Pretty spot on when you add that extra $758 onto the already $1200 special tag now. Surprised that Wyoming hasn't added a $4k option that allows NR to hunt the wilderness areas without a chaperone. That may be on there next year.

Glass have full guy here…

Sorta hoping the economic downturn, along with a deflating western NR hunting bubble causes WY fish and game to eat a bunch of unsold nonresident special tags next year.

I’m sure that isn’t likely, but man it would be glorious if it happened.

I can’t say honestly that I will never buy a special tag again, but the odds are low and it would be an absolute last resort. Shit, I’d rather hunt a cow/B tag and save ~$1600-1700.

I can’t eat antler anyway.

Well I hate to see the increase but 90/10 will most likely not happen for a long time if ever now. They would have to increase resident permits so much to make up for the lost revenue if they cut these increased nonresident tags that the residents would be upset. WYOGA doesn't care about residents or nonresidents, they care about their bottom line. They are more corrupt than SFW in Utah. So why all you Wyoming residents might be happy about the increase just know 90-10 won't be happening, WYOGA just stuck it to me and you.

OP
W

wapitibob

WKR
How's he $1300 short? He said an "extra $758". Pretty spot on when you add that extra $758 onto the already $1200 special tag now. Surprised that Wyoming hasn't added a $4k option that allows NR to hunt the wilderness areas without a chaperone. That may be on there next year.

there is no $758, the increase is $682 for Elk
(576 to 1258, plus the 707)

Fatcamp

WKR
We absolutely love Wyoming and will continue to spend time there. Even if not hunting it's an amazing place.

OP
W

wapitibob

WKR
Glass have full guy here…

Sorta hoping the economic downturn, along with a deflating western NR hunting bubble causes WY fish and game to eat a bunch of unsold nonresident special tags next year.

They'll eat zero;
un issued move to the regular, combined with original quota, split 75/25, and drawn
then,
they go back and issue special gen licenses to bring nr up to the 7250 allotment.

there is no $758, the increase is $682 for Elk
(576 to 1258, plus the 707)
You guys are getting caught up in the minutiae. I didn’t know what the exact number was, I thought it was 758 but I knew it was ~$700. Point being with a little bit of effort the extra cost can still be covered by most DIY guys.

It’s certainly on the very outer edge of what I’m willing to fork over, and as I said above a last resort.

Considering the price, I’d rather take the reduced price cow tag and save the money/points.

They'll eat zero;
un issued move to the regular, combined with original quota, split 75/25, and drawn
then,
they go back and issue special gen licenses to bring nr up to the 7250 allotment.
Got it. Will certainly be interesting to watch how next years draw goes down!

CJ19

WKR
I haven't asked BHA if your claim is correct, and haven't seen a statement from BHA, but Buzz doesn't speak for BHA unless he's acting under the boards direction. He's free to express his own opinion and has said so many times.
As for Buzz and 90/10, that's a no brainer for any resident. 90/10 isn't going to happen without outfitter support and the nr side may have to get split to get there. Way too early for me to worry about it. If it gets traction it'll be legislative year 2025 and a 2026 implementation date. Plenty of time to get out if you choose to.
Are you aware of what a conflict of interest is? Its highly unethical yet all these people you defend are absolutely chalked full of them. Buzz advocating for tag restrictions in one meeting then walking out the door and begging money for causes and pushing policy for an organization that is supposed be beneificial to the same people he just fckd is a text book example.

Last edited:

Trial153

WKR
What economic downtown? If you not making money hand over fist right now you never will.

That said WY sucks with the abject extortion on non residents. That said they are used sucking on someone’s else tit for free. Last I checked they were in the top ten for sucking up federal dollars vs their federal input.

BarCO

Lil-Rokslider
What economic downtown? If you not making money hand over fist right now you never will.

That said WY sucks with the abject extortion on non residents. That said they are used sucking on someone’s else tit for free. Last I checked they were in the top ten for sucking up federal dollars vs their federal input.
Yes one of the biggest welfare states in country. They should be pretty thankful to states like California and Colorado take care of them and pay more into the system than they take out.

Last edited:
Can’t wait to pony up and draw deer and pronghorn tags in the special, if for no other reason than to take a tag from an outfitter. I may actually use an outfitter when I finally draw elk though. Simply because where I want to elk hunt, I will have to have one in Wyoming.

May have to switch from Peak back to Mountain House to afford it…

wytx

WKR

Stay home then.

pirogue

WKR
I’m glad all state’s guides and outfitters associations aren’t as tight in bed together with the commission like WYOGA is with WGFD.

The Wyoming change will hurt a little, what will hurt more is the continuous "keeping up with the Joneses" of other western states raising their prices, as well as the inevitable eventual shift to 90/10 for E/D/A.

But I can't convince my wife to move from my already shit weather scene in Nebraska to a 7.5 month winter and even more wind than we deal with. . . So I guess I'll keep using the regular draw and see how hard the draw odds get hammered!

Starting a side business currently with the main intent of setting aside more hunting funds so if that works out i won't care as much! In reality if you love to hunt, it's not very hard to come up with an extra $2000 per year. The question is just what your priorities are. I've got 3 kids and I've shoestring budgeted hunts since back when I was on "poverty wages" supporting a wife and kid fresh out of college. Personally there are many things I'll do without before I do without a trip west each year. But that's just me!

I know lots of people that say they wish they could elk hunt but it's "too expensive". Meanwhile they golf 3-4 times a week all summer, have a new pickup with payments, and go to the bar every week and run up $60+ in beer they could have bought for $18 at the gas station. . . It's not expensive, it's lack of priorities.

It sucks, but there are still plenty of affordable options in Wyoming, so I'll keep going and probably throw some extra aside for years I want to draw special!

Rich M

WKR
I know lots of people that say they wish they could elk hunt but it's "too expensive". Meanwhile they golf 3-4 times a week all summer, have a new pickup with payments, and go to the bar every week and run up $60+ in beer they could have bought for $18 at the gas station. . . It's not expensive, it's lack of priorities.

They would rather have a year of fun than a week or two - can totally emphasize. Don't discourage them or there will be even more demand on the limited resources we have. I love golfers, you rarely see em in the woods or on the water.

bmrfish

WKR
Oh man, I guess this is bad news, good news. Nothing ever stays the same and changes can have a complex of effects.
My family has hunted a Wyoming ranch since 2011. Annual brothers retreat. Used to be able to get a deer tag in the regular draw plus 2 buck antelope and up to 4 doe antelope as leftovers. Last year I couldn’t even draw a buck deer in the special and we mostly quit shooting antelope when they crashed. White tails collapsed from disease. Dang prairie rats even crashed a couple years ago from plague.
So I guess I should now be able to draw deer every year now again but I am gonna have to pay through the nose. I will be happy though to take a tag from the outfitters who hosed us.
As someone said, it is about priorities and golf is a stupida forkn game.
And our friends can still get their regular trespass fees every year which is a nice add on to the cattle business which is a dang tough way to make a living.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk