Wyoming 90/10 for elk

Scoot

WKR
Residents of a particular state should have significant priority when it comes to hunting....period.
Last I checked, 80/20 offers a "significant priority" to residents. So does 90/10 and so does 70/30. What is the right proportion of tags that should go to residents vs nonresidents? If 90/10 is better than 80/20, then isn't 95/5 better than 90/10? ...and using the same rationale, isn't 100/0 even better still? When is enough enough? Obviously the answer is "never" for some...

Non Residents are definitely the enemies! Just kidding.

I live in Colorado, probably the friendliest non resident state. Sadly we do it just for money. Not for game management or providing a good experience. I laugh at other states that complain about NR hitting the woods. They have never seen a trail head during second or third rifle in Colorado.

I hunt all over the west. Like others have said. It's a vacation and an experience. I think that's what makes the experience fun. I can literally hunt in my backyard and yet I still travel. It's part of the experience. There are tons of issues with the changes all the states are doing. Main reason is it's influenced by money not management of game.

Wyoming I thought had the best system. They generate alot of money they provide ample opportunities and it's a good experience. Each state has different systems that all have flaws though. NM was great a few years ago. Now with the new split it's harder and harder to hunt there. Thus limiting people's exposure to the state. Good or bad...got me! Maybe the same for Wyoming now?

I think the idea of 20-30% split would be good. Currently Colorado is like 50% or more towards NR. So when my family in Wyoming or friends in MT complain I usually tell them to shut up. As Colorado is probably the only state that could survive with out NR resident hunters based on our population and economics. I think if all the states spread the love and actually start doing things for management reasons not bending over for outfitters who tend to run rackets anymore...and ranchers trying to get 10k for a bull tag it will actually be more productive for everyone. So you can't come to Colorado or Wyoming every year as a NR but having a chance ever couple years spread across the west should keep you going for each fall as long as you plan things out. I do that now...and again I can hunt deer elk and if I ever get a sheep tag in my backyard.

Hopefully that Appalachian herd of elk will continue to grow. That might hurt the west more then people realize and actually make states take management and opportunity seriously.

Btaylor

WKR
Re-read my statement... Things they Don't own. You do a great job with your land because you own it. You do the best you can because you know you will reap the benefits. The same goes for states and wildlife. Sure, your neighbor might shoot a couple of your deer but you receive the most benefit- just like elk and deer crossing the border from Wyoming to Colorado.

I understand your point of view just like I believe you understand mine. However I don't believe we will agree. Your line of thinking isn't going anywhere, right or wrong. The states will continue to own the wildlife. That is a well established law that isn't changing. I'm simply trying to steer the conversation in other, more productive directions that don't involve selling our federal lands or boycotting western states. There can be solid compromise if we keep level heads.
I am 100% not on board with selling any public land state or federal and I am not on board with boycotting western states. I do believe OTC and points systems have outlived their useful life if we as current generation hunters have any intent to ensure future generations an opportunity to enjoy the same pursuits we have had. I think the WY wilderness rule is absurd, it is argued that NR can use the land for everything except hunting because the state owns the critters. Eliminating the opportunity to pursue the critter eliminates the hunters ability to use their land. 100% agree there could and should be solid compromise but that cant and wont happen if all interested parties are not represented at the table.

Laramie

WKR
I am 100% not on board with selling any public land state or federal and I am not on board with boycotting western states. I do believe OTC and points systems have outlived their useful life if we as current generation hunters have any intent to ensure future generations an opportunity to enjoy the same pursuits we have had. I think the WY wilderness rule is absurd, it is argued that NR can use the land for everything except hunting because the state owns the critters. Eliminating the opportunity to pursue the critter eliminates the hunters ability to use their land. 100% agree there could and should be solid compromise but that cant and wont happen if all interested parties are not represented at the table.
The wilderness law is ridiculous... but it has absolutely nothing to do with the 90/10 conversation. While I agree with you regarding the long term perspective with points, I don't believe they are going away anytime soon. There is just too much money involved. I personally think 85/5/5/5 if split 85% resident, 5% outfitter, 5% random, and 5% preference point could work longer term. I hate the 5% handout to outfitters but it is becoming obvious they carry too much weight to not get their piece of the pie. Residents get more tags, non-residents don't lose as much as they could, and they would have a decent shot at drawing a random tag yearly. I doubt it happens but it seems feasible.

Fatcamp

WKR
The wilderness law is ridiculous... but it has absolutely nothing to do with the 90/10 conversation. While I agree with you regarding the long term perspective with points, I don't believe they are going away anytime soon. There is just too much money involved. I personally think 85/5/5/5 if split 85% resident, 5% outfitter, 5% random, and 5% preference point could work longer term. I hate the 5% handout to outfitters but it is becoming obvious they carry too much weight to not get their piece of the pie. Residents get more tags, non-residents don't lose as much as they could, and they would have a decent shot at drawing a random tag yearly. I doubt it happens but it seems feasible.

Weeellll, 90/10 primarily is coming from the resident/guide coop which is the same group that brought you the wilderness rule.

I like your 85/15 idea, but those folks smell blood in the water and are gonna full court press 90/5/5. Oh, well. Not only am I going to relocate to Wyoming shortly, I'm gonna be a guide! 🤡

HOT ROD

WKR
Dude… we pay the fkn bills! We pretty much fund Wyoming Fish and Game. And what happened to do unto others as you would have done unto you. One word: Greed
All U NR are wondering why us residents really do not care if the outfitters get there share look no farther than this right here^^^^^^^. Here is a NR who thinks Wyoming owes him and as a NR he has stated that region G and H should be limited quota for deer for us residents mind U he is a Pennsylvania resident...

HOT ROD

WKR
Federal/Public land equals every opportunity for you to enjoy, as we all own it. Camp, hike, bike, watch wildlife, recreate to your hearts content. Its yours, you paid for it with your federal tax dollars.

State owned wildlife...equals no one is entitled to a tag period, especially if you dont live in that particular state. Residents of a particular state should have significant priority when it comes to hunting....period. Leftover tags should be for residents....period.

I believe WY is doing it right, even if it means I will never get a tag to hunt in Wyoming unless Im a resident there. Frankly.....every state everywhere needs to go to this model if we want an outdoor future.
This is absolutely spot on every state should be taken care of its residents first... Sum people think that NR pay the fkn bills but they are totally wrong... Rumor has it WG&F are looking to do away with point sharing in the near future...

CoStick

WKR
WY is smart, their state budget is funded mostly by federal dollars and they retain ownership of their wildlife. Entitlement at its finest.

WY is smart, their state budget is funded mostly by federal dollars and they retain ownership of their wildlife. Entitlement at its finest.
There is certainly plenty of precedent with using federal funding as the stick to keep states in line.

If the TF goes too far off the deep end, there could easily be backlash on the federal level.

I was curious how the ESA worked to dictate state management of wildlife. Posted a in GD wondering that…

https://www.rokslide.com/forums/thr...-legal-authority-does-the-esa-operate.267595/

I see no reason why similar action couldn’t be taken to fight things like the wilderness law or outfitter set asides.

I’d rather just see the TF work to make wildlife better for all of us, NR, resident and outfitters alike.

If you would like to submit your input to the TF!

Careful not to trigger hotrod
I’ve crossed paths with him before. His mentality is on the caveman level. Scroll on by. Guys like him are why I put a Wyoming license plate on my truck while it’s parked at base camp all week.

amassi

WKR
I’ve crossed paths with him before. His mentality is on the caveman level. Scroll on by. Guys like him are why I put a Wyoming license plate on my truck while it’s parked at base camp all week.
Do you just stop at wal mart and steal a local plate? Kidding

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

fatlander

WKR
As flyguy pointed out above, it’s really going to be to everyone’s detriment.

You’re going to start to see a whole lot of middle class folks that like to hunt who buy a small home in Wyoming, live there for a year to gain residency while renting their other home. Have residency for not only themself but the wife and all the kids. Then after that first year spend most of their time in another state while short term renting the Wyoming house and short term renting their original house. Homeschool the kids.

I know the law says you have to live at least 180 days in Wyoming. They’ll live there just enough to enjoy hunting/fishing/skiiing which will put them close enough to the 180 days without raising any eyebrows.

It’s almost to the point of being more economically friendly than trying to hunt one elk tag a year as an out of stater. I’m not the only guy in the world thinking about this right now. If I could easily access tags as a nonresident, the thought wouldn’t have even crossed my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tdhanses

WKR

You’re going to start to see a whole lot of middle class folks that like to hunt who buy a small home in Wyoming, live there for a year to gain residency while renting their other home. Have residency for not only themself but the wife and all the kids. Then after that first year spend most of their time in another state while short term renting the Wyoming house and short term renting their original house. Homeschool the kids.

I know the law says you have to live at least 180 days in Wyoming. They’ll live there just enough to enjoy hunting/fishing/skiiing which will put them close enough to the 180 days without raising any eyebrows.

It’s almost to the point of being more economically friendly than trying to hunt one elk tag a year as an out of stater. I’m not the only guy in the world thinking about this right now. If I could easily access tags as a nonresident, the thought wouldn’t have even crossed my mind.

Plus no income tax on top of that.

CoStick

WKR
Sorry but your wrong
Colorado is a nanny state, it provides more revenue to the federal government than it receives. WY is the opposite, a welfare state. CO certainly appreciates the revenue NR bring but with growing population and winter sports, CPW could survive without, but I can’t see why NR wouldn’t be allowed to hunt here.

Fatcamp

WKR

Just wait until half of them become guides. Ole Sy ain't gonna like that.

If the state put a 2% tax for wildlife tomorrow it would get voted into law in a sec. And in that legislation it banned NR hunting no one would even read it or care. And thus no more! Dont test the whackos in Denver and Boulder.
They're not all whackos met some decent people in in both places your gonna need non residents dollars to help pay for your new furry four legged
Elk control and livestock damage reimbursement fund..
Grizzlies will be next it's already being worked on language is being drafted support being recruited ballot intiative being considered