Wyo Special Apps are down in #’s

sasquatch

WKR
I don’t know where the line is drawn. I just know it ain’t near 2k a year for any premium experience in life!! Are you happy? MANY MANY MANY more people can pay 2k than can just move!’

When we (most of society) go back to driving 20year old vehicles, staying in one house our whole lives, never leaving our home state hardly just hunting local ducks/deer, and never taking family vacations and going to Disney world or the beach etc etc 2-3 times a year (the way I grew up) then we can talk about 2k elk tags.

My great grandpa always said “I’m tired of hearing about the good old days. People don’t know WTH they talking about! The good days are Now! Yea bread was a nickel when I was coming up, the problem was you did not have a nickel or credit to borrow it”

I can’t believe you are arguing about a 2k price of (JUST THE SPECIAL OPTION) yet moving your family to a state that is quite miserable for the majority of the year, all to gain extra days to elk hunt. I’m not so sure it can get more ironic than that.

Good luck to you sir, I’m no longer stooping down to this ridiculous cry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RunNGunSC

FNG
I just don’t think out pricing people is the right approach. odds get longer with higher participation. That should be the discouraging factor. If you don’t like the odds don’t participate. I want to see other passionate and dedicated hunters, not rich guys who just bought a new rifle and want a cool social media picture taken by the guide that did everything but pull the trigger.

Wyo_hntr

WKR
I just don’t think out pricing people is the right approach. odds get longer with higher participation. That should be the discouraging factor. If you don’t like the odds don’t participate. I want to see other passionate and dedicated hunters, not rich guys who just bought a new rifle and want a cool social media picture taken by the guide that did everything but pull the trigger.
If you can't afford 288 for a tag, you can't affordto drive to Wyoming.Screenshot_20240215_051940_Chrome.jpg

RunNGunSC

FNG
But that isn’t the price for all. You’ve just said the rich folk get these. The peasants can have the other tags. Thats the European model not the NA model. I’m not complaining, just pointing out the facts.

Jethro

WKR
just pointing out the facts
What facts?

Facts actually disprove your claim. Applications across the west are at or near all time highs. Draw odds at all time lows. Hunter participation, in the west, at all time highs.

Where and who are the people that have been priced out? We're not close to that point, and its been said for at least the 12-15 years I've been hunting the west. Don't tell me its only rich folks hunting the west. I'm personally evidence to the contrary. Yes some folks can't afford to travel to hunt. Some folks can't afford to do a lot of things.

MTN BUM

Lil-Rokslider
Im not sure why we talk about elk tag prices in a vacuum. The price of everything has gone up. Look at inflation. A gallon of gas used to be $2. Now its $4. Elk tags used to be half the price. Now they are not. Its the economy.

RunNGunSC

FNG
allowing preference based on price is my point. No one should cut the line. Price the tags based on what’s needed to fund wildlife management and public lands, then provide everyone an equal chance for the same price. The fact is you give people with more means preference and I think that is privatizing a public resource. I didn’t say anything else. I feel the same way about the high number of auction tags in UT and the outfitter pool in NM.

TBarron

WKR
My dad once told me son you can either be rich or a hunter but you cannot be both. I ponied up and paid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archer86

WKR
For such a small state you would think that all these guys claiming there are tons of people moving to wyoming to hunt you would think we would have triple the resident hunters I strong belive that is just a rokslide thing and it's probabaly just a small amount of those moving here that actually hunt.

The bigger problem I see with price does anyone think other states are watching? They see it working in wyoming what's going to stop colorado from doing the same when they eliminate otc for nr? Or any. Other state for that matter

sasquatch

WKR
allowing preference based on price is my point. No one should cut the line. Price the tags based on what’s needed to fund wildlife management and public lands, then provide everyone an equal chance for the same price. The fact is you give people with more means preference and I think that is privatizing a public resource. I didn’t say anything else. I feel the same way about the high number of auction tags in UT and the outfitter pool in NM.

How much does it take to fund then. Tell us

If you can't afford 288 for a tag, you can't affordto drive to Wyoming.View attachment 673811
Shhh…

God willing that’s what I’ll be paying this year to hunt elk.😜

Hunting on a tag that costs less than 1/4th that of the special general tag I drew two years ago, and hunt when the unit is closed to general tag hunters early Oct, with the trade off of not being able to shoot bulls?

I’ll take that trade every day. I hope the influencers keep posting those instabull pictures and getting everyone riled up about anters. I’ll keep hunting elk.😉

I don’t know where the line is drawn. I just know it ain’t near 2k a year for any premium experience in life!! Are you happy? MANY MANY MANY more people can pay 2k than can just move!’

When we (most of society) go back to driving 20year old vehicles, staying in one house our whole lives, never leaving our home state hardly just hunting local ducks/deer, and never taking family vacations and going to Disney world or the beach etc etc 2-3 times a year (the way I grew up) then we can talk about 2k elk tags.

My great grandpa always said “I’m tired of hearing about the good old days. People don’t know WTH they talking about! The good days are Now! Yea bread was a nickel when I was coming up, the problem was you did not have a nickel or credit to borrow it”

I can’t believe you are arguing about a 2k price of (JUST THE SPECIAL OPTION) yet moving your family to a state that is quite miserable for the majority of the year, all to gain extra days to elk hunt. I’m not so sure it can get more ironic than that.

Good luck to you sir, I’m no longer stooping down to this ridiculous cry.

Jesus man.

Again my decision to likely move to a western state in a few years is influenced by a lot more than just hunting.

I find Ohio absolutely miserable from late June until early September due to the humidity. Wife and I are weirdos, we’d rather have snow and cold. We’ve hated not having real winter weather this year. One person’s miserable is another persons preferred weather. I’d also like mountains and public lands nearby, and not just for hunting. I’d admit, moving just for hunting would probably be stupid. Lots of reasons to move. Politics, recreation, economics, culture all play a roll. We’re not dead set on Wyoming, but it’s certainly on the short list and hunting opportunity doesn’t hurt its chances.

Regardless this thread isn’t about that. If the only thing going on in the western hunting world was a 2k special elk tag, I probably wouldn’t worry. But there is an overall trend to try and price people out to increase opportunity for those with higher means, and further ensure that politically connected outfitters are getting business.

This trend is antithetical to the North American model. I don’t think we’ve shot over the Overton window just yet. But I’m worried the trend is getting there.

Throwing your hands up and saying “it’s just economics, sell it what it should cost!” or “I can afford it and it helps me, so why not!?” Is incredibly shortsighted and ignorant to our wildlife model and conservation history.

Backyard

WKR
Nope. Because NR hunters won't stop hunting western states. There will always be more demand than supply, even if prices continue to rise. But what I said was that nobody is making anyone come to the west to hunt, when they can stay home and hunt for cheap.

Yep yer right! I can hunt elk in Mn. $288 if I get picked in the lottery for 1 of the 17 total tags. I wonder what the chances in Georgia are? Or maybe Vermont?

Archer86

WKR
Yep yer right! I can hunt elk in Mn. $288 if I get picked in the lottery for 1 of the 17 total tags. I wonder what the chances in Georgia are? Or maybe Vermont?

That sounds like the states you listed problems not the problem of states that offer more then enough elk opportunities for nr hunters if you dont hunt elk every year as a nr and you want to then you are not planning correctly

Sounds like maybe the residents of states that don't have elk or low numbers of elk should be lobbying for those states to increase elk habitat and herd numbers

Im not sure why we talk about elk tag prices in a vacuum. The price of everything has gone up. Look at inflation. A gallon of gas used to be $2. Now its $4. Elk tags used to be half the price. Now they are not. Its the economy.

Has resident tag price followed the pace of inflation?