Wyoming over run with Elk

BigE

Lil-Rokslider
Wyoming Rancher over run with Elk

Summary of the link is a rancher is saying there are far too many elk in eastern Wyoming and G&F isn't managing the problem. There is a proposal for unlimited cow tags this year to help alleviate the problems.

Anyone know the background up there? Are the ranchers allowing access?

Wyoming Rancher over run with Elk

Summary of the link is a rancher is saying there are far too many elk in eastern Wyoming and G&F isn't managing the problem. There is a proposal for unlimited cow tags this year to help alleviate the problems.

Anyone know the background up there? Are the ranchers allowing access?

Go knock on a ranchers door in Texas to see if you can take care of those hog issues they constantly complain about. WY is Texas 2.0

wytx

WKR
Yep, there will have unlimited cow elk tags for this area and yes there are too many elk. Some limited access, mainly for locals.
This problem started years back with some LOs wanting to manage their elk for trophy quality bulls, didn't allow much hunting. Now elk are way over population and those same LOs don't like it, lol.

Hoping to have a pocket full of tags this Fall and get some filled.
These elk herd up early in season and travel the area till they find a sanctuary from hunters.

Thankfully being local we can get some access, same for hogs in Texas. Folks we know welcome us to hunt those pesky pigs for free.

wytx

WKR
Those unlimited tags are going to result in a trespass problem (coming from Wyo rancher friend)
This area already has a huge trespassing issue. When they changed from LQ to general elk it exploded and then deer season is open until Oct 31, lots of poachers out after pre rut bucks too.
Yep it will be a zoo but hopefully, maybe G&F can secure some HMA or Access yes lands to open up.
Anywhere near to public lands will get hammered, we deal with folks every year.

OP
BigE

BigE

Lil-Rokslider
These ranchers are holding the states wildlife hostage for transferrable bull elk tags.

Eventually they will get them. It's going to happen. Just wait and see.

And then, they still won't allow access. lol
Same story different day. I was curious what the ranchers preferred solution was going to be. Sounds like transferable LO tags that they can resell to a guide.

wapitibob

WKR
This will change nothing, access is the issue. There is no problem getting a tag now, giving a guy 10 more won't do a thing. LO's already have transferable Cow tags and they shot hundreds this winter. This is just a feel good exercise for the Dept hoping to show some LO's that they're "doing something." The Dept will have to dbl or triple the Access pmts to get any of these ranches on board and more likely, they'll lease hunting to an outfitter and you and I still won't be hunting there because we aren't gonna spend $3000 for a 2 day Cow hunt in some guys field.

Scoot

WKR
Wapitibob, I sure hope you're right. It sounds like it has the potential to impact general areas the same way montana's shoulder season has impacted the general hunts there. In the places I have hunted, it cut the numbers by about 1/4.

Last edited:
OP
BigE

BigE

Lil-Rokslider
What a problem. Boy. Almost like one post on this website that said “free access to X address” would solve their problem entirely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know right. Here's the answer to all those folks looking for the elk honey hole.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If it passes I bet those ranchers would gladly let someone come get rid of those pests at the low price of 2500 or so a cow.
No joke. If they REALLY wanted elk off their property just allow hunters on it for free, those elk will scatter. But the fact they don't tells you everything you need to know about their true motives.

Scoot

WKR
Wytx, if the problem is that real and the ranchers are looking for a solution (and not money), why don't they simply let hunters take care of the concern for them? Or... is the problem being brought up and talked about like it is to help ranchers create a money making opportunity for themselves?