Would you buy this scope?

N2TRKYS

WKR
I like higher magnification. I’ve never once had any trouble getting on target with them, but all my rifles fit me and point correctly.

I can shoot 600 yards with a fixed 6x, but do it better with higher magnification.

Not right now.

1. Not enough magnification for me.

2. You guys dropped the ball getting the stock out. Couldn’t imagine this would be any different.

To be fair, I think this is getting shopped out, just trying to get someone to do it.

I have the same sentiments, but I think this will be coming from a brand.

If it's an "exclusive" and only available from one place, I'll be a lot more hesitant unless they are shipping within 48 hrs, assuming positive reviews.

And once I got used to it, 10x has been fine for me shooting groundhogs to 400, so a max of 10-12x doesn't bother me at all anymore for most of what I'd be doing with a hunting scope.

ElPollo

WKR
If I picked a zoom level or reticle based on needing a follow up shot, I'd spend more time learning how to shoot and less time telling everybody else what they needed.
I actually said high zoom levels make it slower to get on target, harder to spot your impacts, and slower to get on target for follow-up shots. Which part do you disagree with and why?

Hondo64d

Lil-Rokslider
All:

It’s a serious question from Ryan. This is not just a feeler post. No presale or other nonsense.

If a 3-12x40’ish mil/mil scope was offered that was consistently reliable and durable, was tested heavily, had multiple reticles that were truly usable/visible from 3-12x, a good/great eyebox and DOF, low profile zero stop elevation and capped windage; and was under $1,500- would you buy it?
Yes.

John

grizz19

Lil-Rokslider
I guess your only supposed to comment on here if you like low mag scopes and are interested in this one 🤷🏻‍♂️😆

Personally never had an issue getting on target with scopes up to 18x. I’ve watched a pig react to impact from a 7 rem mag at 250 yards at 15x. Maybe recoil affects some people more than others.

Dave0317

WKR
I guess your only supposed to comment on here if you like low mag scopes and are interested in this one 🤷🏻‍♂️😆

Personally never had an issue getting on target with scopes up to 18x. I’ve watched a pig react to impact from a 7 rem mag at 250 yards at 15x. Maybe recoil affects some people more than others.
You can comment on anything, anywhere, but the OP asked who was interested in a scope with a specific set of specs that don’t exist in the current market. So suggesting something different (and that already exists) is of course going to be met with discussion on the pros and cons of those choices. Make the post, then be ready to discuss why you are right and why the OPs idea of making a new and different scope is not ideal.

If scopes with high top end mag, large zoom ratio, and small eye box work well for you, keep doing what you are doing. You are in luck, lots of them are already out there.

N2TRKYS

WKR
You can comment on anything, anywhere, but the OP asked who was interested in a scope with a specific set of specs that don’t exist in the current market. So suggesting something different (and that already exists) is of course going to be met with discussion on the pros and cons of those choices. Make the post, then be ready to discuss why you are right and why the OPs idea of making a new and different scope is not ideal.

If scopes with high top end mag, large zoom ratio, and small eye box work well for you, keep doing what you are doing. You are in luck, lots of them are already out there.
Who makes high magnification scopes that are 20 ounces, meets the drop test, returns to zero, with good glass, and are less than $1500?

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
Who makes high magnification scopes that are 20 ounces, meets the drop test, returns to zero, with good glass, and are less than $1500?
Plenty of 15x or higher options that meet all characteristics EXCEPT the weight. The most bare bones option in existance (3-15 swfa) is still 24oz.

Realize there are not any options even at 12x top end that meet all the goals. High magnification brings a weight penalty, so at this stage it is kind of wishful thinking to ask for 15x and higher.

The described scope seems feasible. Stretching the specs (mag range, zoom ratio, objective size) will quickly make it not feasible

N2TRKYS

WKR
Plenty of 15x or higher options that meet all characteristics EXCEPT the weight.
Not according to the guy I quoted. He’s said a few times that folks asking for higher magnification under these new scope specs already had plenty of options. I would be interested in one of those higher magnification scopes that met the new scope specs. That’s why I asked him who makes them.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
If thats not a challenge, I dont know what is…great danes arent that small!
Large male great danes are taller at the shoulder and weigh significantly more than the average coues deer. Folks don't realize the scale until you get one on the ground. They are much closer in size and weight to a large dog than they are to a mule deer or non-coues whitetail deer.

Lots of guys carry them out on their shoulder a take smaller bucks back to camp whole, with guts out and hide on to protect the meat; if it's not too hot and the hike is short enough. As per this buck below that I packed down the hill to an ATV for an injured friend. This deer was killed at 550 yards with the same fixed 6 SWFA, on the same ridgeline, a few days after the previous buck was killed.

spike coues.jpg

4th_point

WKR
The issue of how well you can see is more related to reticle design than magnification. If the reticle is useable at lower magnification (6-10), higher magnification does nothing positive for you unless you are shooting past 1000 yards. How many people should even be trying something like that on game? Certainly not me.

The reticle isn't the issue.

There are a lot of people, especially at Rokslide for some reason, who judge other's equipment needs based on their own perception and previous experience. I was guilty of that for many years, especially hunting in areas with similar terrain, soil, and veg.

There are places here in OR where you can see deer antlers well at dang near a mile with good 8x binocs (green wheat fields) or at least get an idea of structure based on the beams depending on the resolution of the system.

But travel a bit east to the high desert and you may struggle to see elk antlers at 600-800 with the same 8-10x binocs and definitely have a hard time with deer antlers at 400-500 due to the coloration of the soil, rock, and veg. They simply blend in, and almost vanish. More magnification helps, or certain contrast or color cast in the optic.

Also factor in low light, glare, or dirty air!

You may say that a riflescope is not for viewing, and that is true. However, when you flop down on the dirt to shoot you may need to quickly get on the one single buck that you picked out in your spotting scope.

If you can barely see antlers with 8x or 10x binocs, how will a 6x scope do better? The deer might be browsing, moving, and not sitting around waiting to be shot! If there are multiple bucks, you need to locate the desired buck quick or they may crest a ridge and be gone.

I have better than 20/20 vision and had a heck of a time keep track of a buck at ~500 with Swaro 8x42. My 10x SWFA was certainly no better.

The reticle was not the issue.

ElPollo

WKR
The reticle isn't the issue.

There are a lot of people, especially at Rokslide for some reason, who judge other's equipment needs based on their own perception and previous experience. I was guilty of that for many years, especially hunting in areas with similar terrain, soil, and veg.

There are places here in OR where you can see deer antlers well at dang near a mile with good 8x binocs (green wheat fields) or at least get an idea of structure based on the beams depending on the resolution of the system.

But travel a bit east to the high desert and you may struggle to see elk antlers at 600-800 with the same 8-10x binocs and definitely have a hard time with deer antlers at 400-500 due to the coloration of the soil, rock, and veg. They simply blend in, and almost vanish. More magnification helps, or certain contrast or color cast in the optic.

Also factor in low light, glare, or dirty air!

You may say that a riflescope is not for viewing, and that is true. However, when you flop down on the dirt to shoot you may need to quickly get on the one single buck that you picked out in your spotting scope.

If you can barely see antlers with 8x or 10x binocs, how will a 6x scope do better? The deer might be browsing, moving, and not sitting around waiting to be shot! If there are multiple bucks, you need to locate the desired buck quick or they may crest a ridge and be gone.

I have better than 20/20 vision and had a heck of a time keep track of a buck at ~500 with Swaro 8x42. My 10x SWFA was certainly no better.

The reticle was not the issue.
I will agree there are some occasions where more magnification can be helpful. However, it does not change the fact that increased magnification negatively affects your time to acquire a target and your ability to spot your impacts. There is no free lunch available. Everything you change about a scope has both positive and negative impacts.

I am not saying you or others haven’t had that experience you describe. I’ve just had and watched a lot of other people have way more trouble finding their target because of too much magnification from their rifle scope.

I am also not by any means saying that you shouldn’t have the option to buy or use high magnification scopes or fine reticles. Those things already exist from multiple manufacturers at multiple price points and aren’t going away. I was discussing the merits of the scope Ryan is proposing and why I think it’s worth him getting it made, and why I’d give him my money for it.