Worst thing to ever happen to elk hunting

MeatBuck

WKR
If someone whent down to the county courthouse for three hours to research tax maps, and someone spent three hours swinging a sledgehammer to earn $30 to pay for OnX, would you still say the fellow at the courthouse has “worked harder” for and is therefore more entitled to that same information?
Would you say your dad worked harder than your mom did giving birth to you?

From all I can decipher, MeatBuck is just upset that it appears as though others have not had to go through the same process (work?) he did to find "his" spot (as erroneous as it is to declare anyone has "a spot" on public land). Is that the jist of it?

It reminds me of the traditional bowhunters who would spend hours and days complaining about how "easy" compound hunters have it, even though they have the same choice, but just choose the "harder" route.

I just don't get the logic. The technology is available to you, but you choose to not use it. Okay, that's great. But you forfeit the right to complain about it when you make that choice. Nobody took the option away from you. You did yourself.

MeatBuck

WKR
I think that's called capitalism - providing a service for a fee...

You act as if they do nothing at OnX or the other providers. LOL As if somehow all that technology just magically appears. The folks at OnX are being paid for the WORK they do. I can't do it, so I pay them to do it. I couldn't have produced those paper BLM maps either, so I paid BLM to do it.

and I have news for you. Nobody has their own hunting locations on public land. I think that's a false starting point you launched from.
You could do exactly what they did to find the info they are now selling you. That’s the whole point. It was free info for those willing to go out and get it.
Those who weren’t willing didn’t gain any advantage.
Now every idiot with 30$ gets that advantage that took some guys years to get lined up and figured out.
Think of it like this. You are experienced back country hunter, gained most of not all your knowledge of an area by being there, hiking, glassing, patterning animals, cutting trails etc. You know the land like the back of your hand because you learned it.
Now along comes a $30 app that buys any individual willing to pay that fee 70% of the knowledge you gained with your sweat equity.

All the info that app makers put into one place and are charging for was info that was already out there for free.
Why make it so easy for those guys (who were never willing to source out the info or put boots on the ground) to gain that advantage?

Bottom line is $$$. Guys willing to sell out every honey hole they ever had for profits and “likes”.

I feel the same way about guiding on public lands. Why do u get to profit off the resources of the public lands while the average hunter/tax payer is now stuck competing with your clients to find game?

MeatBuck

WKR
From all I can decipher, MeatBuck is just upset that it appears as though others have not had to go through the same process (work?) he did to find "his" spot (as erroneous as it is to declare anyone has "a spot" on public land). Is that the jist of it?
My original response was for the op. Everything after that was for the trolls.

You could do exactly what they did to find the info they are now selling you. That’s the whole point. It was free info for those willing to go out and get it.
Those who weren’t willing didn’t gain any advantage.
Now every idiot with 30$ gets that advantage that took some guys years to get lined up and figured out.
Think of it like this. You are experienced back country hunter, gained most of not all your knowledge of an area by being there, hiking, glassing, patterning animals, cutting trails etc. You know the land like the back of your hand because you learned it.
Now along comes a $30 app that buys any individual willing to pay that fee 70% of the knowledge you gained with your sweat equity.

All the info that app makers put into one place and are charging for was info that was already out there for free.
Why make it so easy for those guys (who were never willing to source out the info or put boots on the ground) to gain that advantage?

Bottom line is $$$. Guys willing to sell out every honey hole they ever had for profits and “likes”.

I feel the same way about guiding on public lands. Why do u get to profit off the resources of the public lands while the average hunter/tax payer is now stuck competing with your clients to find game?
I could find the info, but there is no way I could put it in my phone. I think that's what you're paying for.

As far as "getting the info..." someone had to spend some time and money to get it into the county tax maps, did they not?

You're just choosing one point in the process at which to stop.

fwafwow

WKR
I thought that this thread was heated when it still involved the OP. (He appears to have bailed on this days ago.). I just went through a couple of days of arguing on here with a guy or two and I don't feel any better about myself, other than I'm glad it's over.

My original response was for the op. Everything after that was for the trolls.
It really makes no difference to me. I have no guilt in paying professionals for their time and expertise, whether they be the surveyors and cartographers who brought me my BLM maps, or the OnX staff who put them on my phone. I couldn't have done either myself, so I paid for them.

Gotta go. I'm off to hire an electrician. I'll ask for everyone's forgiveness in advance. :D

Last edited:

MeatBuck

WKR
Lastly I’m more than willing to share my knowledge and experience of an area with others, permitted they’ve put forth as much effort as I have to figure out the area but aren’t having any success. Those guys are few and far between and are seen on trail not just online.

MeatBuck

WKR
I thought that this thread was heated when it still involved the OP. (He appears to have bailed on this days ago.). I just went through a couple of days of arguing on here with a guy or two and I don't feel any better about myself, other than I'm glad it's over.
I read the op and responded. Didn’t care to read the in between but apparently I stepped into an internet trolling match. I’m out. Y’all take my words the way you want. I’m standing behind them regardless.
And only one guy has admitted to not following what I’m saying and he goes by newtosavage.

I read the op and responded. Didn’t care to read the in between but apparently I stepped into an internet trolling match. I’m out. Y’all take my words the way you want. I’m standing behind them regardless.
And only one guy is admitted to not following what I’m saying and he goes by newtosavage.
You were never going to be convinced otherwise. I think many of us just disagree with your perspective on the issue. No need to call people names.

AG8

Lil-Rokslider
Would you say your dad worked harder than your mom did giving birth to you?
Yeah, I sort of felt you were losing more and more credibility every time you posted again. Thanks for making it easier to disregard your entire line of opinion. The rest of this is a good discussion though...

MeatBuck

WKR
You were never going to be convinced otherwise. I think many of us just disagree with your perspective on the issue. No need to call people names.
If u take offense to any of my words you need to get a grip. I simply shared my thoughts on the topic and the trolls stepped in. Yes trolls. Look at this thread, it’s so heavily trolled that there should be a bridge over it.

So, you’re upset at these new groups of hunters looked on a map and found “your” area, then they show up to the area not knowing how to hunt it - and bumble around and push animals around the area because they don’t know how to hunt it.

Then tell me how are they supposed to learn? In fact, why don’t you enlighten us all on how you showed up and hunted the areas 100% perfect from day one?

I get it, it’s frustrating having someone show up to a spot you’re hunting... but it’s public land. You can piss and moan about it all day long, but every person commenting on here has been the new guy, or a new guy to an area pushing animals around because they didn’t know how to hunt it. Even the high and mighty had humble beginnings, and it’s funny to see how quickly all that is forgotten.

So what... someone’s in your spot - if you know it even somewhat decently, you should have a fairly good idea of where they’re headed and where the animals are gonna go. If you don’t, then that’s on you.

So, you’re upset at these new groups of hunters looked on a map and found “your” area, then they show up to the area not knowing how to hunt it - and bumble around and push animals around the area because they don’t know how to hunt it.

Then tell me how are they supposed to learn? In fact, why don’t you enlighten us all on how you showed up and hunted the areas 100% perfect from day one?

I get it, it’s frustrating having someone show up to a spot you’re hunting... but it’s public land. You can piss and moan about it all day long, but every person commenting on here has been the new guy, or a new guy to an area pushing animals around because they didn’t know how to hunt it. Even the high and mighty had humble beginnings, and it’s funny to see how quickly all that is forgotten.

So what... someone’s in your spot - if you know it even somewhat decently, you should have a fairly good idea of where they’re headed and where the animals are gonna go. If you don’t, then that’s on you.
Nah man, you got it all wrong. Every one of my spots on public land was pristine, unhunted and unknown to modern man before I set foot there. No human had ever hunted it before. The deer were so confused at my presence that they started walking toward me at the scent of salt on my sweaty skin (so earned by all the hard work I performed to get there). I shot the first animal in self defense after practically being licked to death. I had to find that spot by walking up drainages and setting stones on top of rocks as markers to find my way back to my house. There were no roads and none of those...what do you call them?... "horseless carriages" to carry me around.

What a great spot that was until the 2nd guy showed up and ruined it all...

Sincerely,

The first Native American to cross the land bridge.

Last edited:

Randle

WKR
Some times people hunt into a "spot" , it is PUBLIC land. I have hunted into lots of spots that Id like to think are mine , oh until someone else hunts into it, I then hunt smarter or move on.

Nah man, you got it all wrong. Every one of my spots on public land was pristine, unhunted and unknown to modern man before I set foot there. No human had ever hunted it before. The deer were so confused at my presence that they started walking toward me at the scent of salt on my sweaty skin (so earned by all the hard work I performed to get there). I shot the first animal in self defense after practically being licked to death. I had to find that spot by walking up drainages and setting stones on top of rocks as markers to find my way back to my house. There were no roads and none of those...what do you call them?... "horseless carriages" to carry me around.

What a great spot that was until the 2nd white man showed up and ruined it all...

Sincerely,

The first Native American to cross the land bridge.

It’s just funny how quick people are to complain when everyone on this thread has done the same thing probably more than once... and for those of you who didn’t have to learn a new area - get this - YOU WERE SHOWN THE AREA BY SOMEONE ELSE WHO DID ALL THE HARD WORK - whether that’s your granddad, dad, uncle, best friend - you got a handout.

I understand not blasting spots on open forums, but it’s hypocritical to blast someone doing the exact same thing you did finding “your” spot.