Worst thing to ever happen to elk hunting

Elktaco

Lil-Rokslider
I live out East and I will say hunting Idaho is like a dream come true compared to hunting back here.

Ultraheight

Lil-Rokslider
I don't agree that there is decreased hunter numbers.

But I do realize it is public land made public to be enjoyed by all. Just a personal beef with technology is all.

There are more elk hunters in western states, yes, but it's a statistical fact that hunter numbers in the United States are decreasing. It's been widely written up in all the outdoor magazines and is easy to track through licenses sold per year by state.

Onx isn't your problem so much as the invention of satellite imagery (publicly accessible since the 1990s), matched with 3D features and accessibility of USGS Quadrangle topos (since like 1930). Land ownership records are not hard to pull manually either (since forever). People will always find the honey holes, you just have to get more creative

Ya have completely missed it. The very worst thing to happen to elk hunting is dudes painting their face and then getting on YouTube and acting like a fool. Make painting your face illegal and you would eliminate the a ton of folks on the mountains. Its the only reason for a boat load of new hunters.😀😀😀
Except John Dudley. He can wear face paint because he is a badass.

Some phones and apps allow you to remove the metadata. There's also some free/open source programs for removing metadata. Lastly, some websites, like Facebook, remove the metadata at the time of upload.

Great post by the way. People can find the exact location a picture was taken if the metadata is still in the image file. Heck, there's even apps to identify specific mountain peaks from an image file.
That’s right. Sine it’s owned by Facebook, Instagram also removes metadata when you post. I find the metadata useful to myself because I can see exactly where I took a picture, and if it’s a secret spot I either turn it off, or better yet, I don’t share the picture.

I also have been able to find numerous spots from posts/hunting shows from hearing the general area and a seeing a couple major landmarks, just by looking at OnX and Google Earth. It’s unlikely I will hunt those spots, but it is fun to find them.

wyosam

WKR
Tags sold in CO go to the state’s general fund, not conservation. The CPW budget exists independent of license sales. Now, in TN, by contrast, the state game agency’s budget exists exclusively off license sales (if no licenses were sold, they would lose their funding), but that’s the exception. All of these NR tags are funding state welfare programs as much as they are funding conservation. If NRs stop buying tags, the state will just raise taxes elsewhere for funding. So, while the NR hunters contributes to the economy, for the individual resident hunter, there is little direct benefit to the actual quality of the hunting experience from NRs buying tags marked up 1000%. As much as fat dudes taking up 4 parking spaces at the grocery store with their “rigs” and setting up shanty town camps in the backcountry are annoying, I don’t have a problem with them, but the idea that they are the backbone of state conservation money is misleading and argument that quickly falls apart.

WY Game and Fish is funded off license sales and other sportsman dollars.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Poser

WKR
WY Game and Fish is funded off license sales and other sportsman dollars.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That would seem ideal. I’m guessing that at the time that state game agencies were initial formed, they weren’t anywhere close to being Financially solvent where CPW would probably be better funded if they were set up this way.

On a similar note, ski resorts pay a % of their gross revenue in rent to the Forrest service. This is hundreds of millions of dollars of revenue annually, however, it goes to the dept of revenue General fund and not for FS funding or anything to do with conservation.

trevvamos

Lil-Rokslider
Taking camera crews into the woods giving major clues to states/units/wilderness areas is the worst IMO. It’s in every “industry” my buddy who is a big surfer complains about the same things I do about social media and YouTube blowing up his surfing spots. It all comes down to men needing attention and social media friends/likes and it’s disgusting really.

This man. I hiked back to a drainage that I have killed bulls in the past... only to find a crew of 2 pro staff hunters with 3 camera crew from a well known “camo company” shooting b roll. It’s really disgusting

CorbLand

WKR
It’s really all been going down hill since we started carrying clubs around and grunting at each other. Shit, if we want to get technical the invention of a formal language and mathematics is what has made everything possible. Get rid of those, solves all our problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gapmaster

WKR
It’s really all been going down hill since we started carrying clubs around and grunting at each other. Shit, if we want to get technical the invention of a formal language and mathematics is what has made everything possible. Get rid of those, solves all our problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think it was when they put the alphabet in math that started it...

Gerbdog

WKR
My heart sank this year when i walked out of the treeline carrying out the last load of meat and was instantly greeted by... i kid you not.... 7 hunters getting ready to pack in.... they all had those hungry dog eyes on me and of course.... instantly.... "well hey where did you get that elk" ..... only so much you can fudge when your busted carrying meat out of the woods... Woulda gone the long way around... and that was the plan.... but plans change when your dead tired and weighed down with meat. Maybe wont have a spot to hunt next year unless I wanna call other hunters over to help carry meat out..... that's a bright spot?

*zap*

WKR
I do not elk hunt, just whitetail and small game/waterfowl. Pretty much all public land.....People ask me where I hunt and its standard to reply 'none of your business'.

Fatcamp

WKR
I do not elk hunt, just whitetail and small game/waterfowl. Pretty much all public land.....People ask me where I hunt and its standard to reply 'none of your business'.

Well, I'm nice enough to at least name a county. Not the county I hunt in, but one that has deer in it.

Tags sold in CO go to the state’s general fund, not conservation. The CPW budget exists independent of license sales. Now, in TN, by contrast, the state game agency’s budget exists exclusively off license sales (if no licenses were sold, they would lose their funding), but that’s the exception. All of these NR tags are funding state welfare programs as much as they are funding conservation. If NRs stop buying tags, the state will just raise taxes elsewhere for funding. So, while the NR hunters contributes to the economy, for the individual resident hunter, there is little direct benefit to the actual quality of the hunting experience from NRs buying tags marked up 1000%. As much as fat dudes taking up 4 parking spaces at the grocery store with their “rigs” and setting up shanty town camps in the backcountry are annoying, I don’t have a problem with them, but the idea that they are the backbone of state conservation money is misleading and argument that quickly falls apart.

Your wrong on that