Winter Coyote Hunt

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
What caliber rifle did you go with? I’m putting together a new coyote/bobcat killer and I’m stuck between a .204 for saving hides or going with something a little larger that can poke out further and still not tear it apart.
I mostly run 223 and my brother shoots a 22-250

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
We just got stuck in a snowdrift on our way to our first stand. Back on the road again after a bunch of digging.

lennywd87

Lil-Rokslider
@Justin Crossley just wanted to say your article on the 6.5-06AI sold me for my next build! There anything you would’ve done different if you did another one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
We called one in to about 100 yards and I missed it. Should have been a layup so not sure what I did.

lennywd87

Lil-Rokslider
We called one in to about 100 yards and I missed it. Should have been a layup so not sure what I did.

Thermals? I had one at 50 quartering away after winding me the other night and my thermal calibrated as I took the shot and hit it about a foot back from where I shot.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Good action last night but my shooting was not so good. We ended up getting just the one. Missed a couple others and I hit one that was quite a ways out but it got back up and ran and I wasn't able to get it with a follow-up shot. Not sure if I was struggling just using the thermal or because I was wearing gloves but I definitely should have killed a couple more.

Photo using the scanner. Kinda cool and creepy at the same time.

IMG_22143.JPG

B23

WKR
Good action last night but my shooting was not so good. We ended up getting just the one. Missed a couple others and I hit one that was quite a ways out but it got back up and ran and I wasn't able to get it with a follow-up shot. Not sure if I was struggling just using the thermal or because I was wearing gloves but I definitely should have killed a couple more.

Photo using the scanner. Kinda cool and creepy at the same time.

View attachment 366174
Are you both using thermals and if so what's y'alls setup/s? Also, are you only night hunting or are you day hunting and switching back and forth between thermals and standard scope optics during the day.

For what it's worth, depending on what thermal y'all are using, I've been reading where some of the units are having issues with holding zero.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Enjoy following this. Good luck on the hunt. When you have up thawed fingers, can you detail your tripod setup?

I'm using the Vortex Radian Tripod and ballhead I reviewed last year. Vortex Radian Review

My brother is using Innorel RT90C tripod and RRS Anvil 30 head.

My tripod has been working very well but I would like to upgrade the head at some point to the RRS Anvil 30. I like the clamp on it better and the one lever for locking/unlocking the ballhead. The Vortex Radian Ballhead has three separate knobs not counting the knob for clamping.

Grumman

WKR
Justin what callers are you all using? I think I may have saw an X24 in one pic. I need to buy a caller coyotes are getting lousy in my neck of the woods.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Justin what callers are you all using? I think I may have saw an X24 in one pic. I need to buy a caller coyotes are getting lousy in my neck of the woods.

We have been using my brother's X24 and I also brought my Shockwave but we haven't used it on this trip yet.