Winter Coyote Hunt

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I just got to my brother's (@dirtytough) house in ND late last night. We are going to spend the week chasing coyotes. Unfortunately we are expecting high winds for the next 24 hours but we are going full send anyway.

The drive out here from WA sucked! I left Western WA at 9 pm Wednesday night and finally to his house at 10:30 PM last night.

20220105_222748.jpg

Anyway, I figured it would be fun to share our experiences this week so hit the watch button if you would like to follow along and I'll do my best to post updates.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
It will be a great chance for some gear testing. I'm going to be wearing my Hoffman Pacs that I'm reviewing in the footwear forum. Give it a look if you're interested.

Also going to be a great test for the Kifaru Coyote pack I rigged up.

20211227_080939.jpg

lennywd87

Lil-Rokslider
I just got to my brother's (@dirtytough) house in ND late last night. We are going to spend the week chasing coyotes. Unfortunately we are expecting high winds for the next 24 hours but we are going full send anyway.

The drive out here from WA sucked! I left Western WA at 9 pm Wednesday night and finally to his house at 10:30 PM last night.

View attachment 365229

Anyway, I figured it would be fun to share our experiences this week so hit the watch button if you would like to follow along and I'll do my best to post updates.

What’s the count at now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
What’s the count at now?

Unfortunately our count is still zero. We've been fighting high winds, a big snow drift we had to dig out of, and we kept running into other hunters. It's currently blowing 20-30 still with no sign of letting up today.

We did call in a few but they kept getting our wind while still pretty far away. Hopefully we can get lucky during the day and get one or two out of some thick cover.

lennywd87

Lil-Rokslider
Unfortunately our count is still zero. We've been fighting high winds, a big snow drift we had to dig out of, and we kept running into other hunters. It's currently blowing 20-30 still with no sign of letting up today.

We did call in a few but they kept getting our wind while still pretty far away. Hopefully we can get lucky during the day and get one or two out of some thick cover.

I’m aware of the conditions, I’m north of you in Watford City. I’d set a man 100y or so down wind of the guy running the call. Did either of you scout your spots prior or are you flying by the seat of your pants? What direction from Dickinson are you focused on hunting? I commend you in being out in this. I’m sure it’s a rude awakening from the west coast climate. Layers are key!

Last edited:

lennywd87

Lil-Rokslider
@Justin Crossley

I’d get adjacent to any land with cattle on it in public access. They will be there as a need for an open water source. Farmers will be fighting to keep water tanks open for cattle and the yotes will be taking advantage as well. If you’re not already I’d be working north of Dickinson siting farmsteads.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the advice Lenny. My brother lives here and hunts coyotes once in a while so he had some spots picked out for us to hunt.

We have been working thick cover most the day but haven't called any coyotes in since last night. We've hunted near cattle, in steep draws, in river bottoms, and everything else we could think of.

We did call this bobcat out of it's den and Branden killed it at 45 yards with my shotgun!

20220108_151842.jpg

lennywd87

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the advice Lenny. My brother lives here and hunts coyotes once in a while so he had some spots picked out for us to hunt.

We have been working thick cover most the day but haven't called any coyotes in since last night. We've hunted near cattle, in steep draws, in river bottoms, and everything else we could think of.

We did call this bobcat out of it's den and Branden killed it at 45 yards with my shotgun!

View attachment 365593

@Justin Crossley That’s worth the work right there in my opinion! Very nice! Tell your brother I’m envious!

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
imagejpeg_2(3).jpg

Some of the gear I am really happy or impressed with.

Hoffman Pac Boots
Kuiu Super Down Burner Parka
Kryptek Yeti Overwhites
Sitka Puffy Pants (no longer made unfortunately)
Sitka Incinerator Flip Mitt

We are heading out again in a few hours to get back after the coyotes.