Winter Coyote Hunt

Grumman

WKR
Thanks those are the two I have been trying to decide from. Which would be your pick now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
We got a couple more tonight. Should have had at least four total but I am not shooting the thermal very well. I'm going to make a couple adjustments tomorrow and see if I can get back on track.

We made only five stands before the wind picked up and called dogs in on the first three. Stand one, I missed one and Branden killed one.

20220110_191957.jpg

Stand two we had a single come in but he never came closer than about 400 yards and he circled until he caught our wind.

Stand three we had a single trotting in early. Then another two coyotes started following his path down the ridge toward us. It took about 10 minutes or so and we had the lead dog and the second one working towards the Foxpro at about 100 yards. When they stopped we counted 1, 2, 3, and both dogs were hit and tumbling all over. Branden's went down for good and mine jumped back up and started to run off. My shot was straight on so I either hit low or to one side. We got both hits on video with the thermal and mine looked good from what we could see but obviously I didn't center him up. I am pretty disappointed in myself.

Branden's 2nd dog.

20220110_210844.jpg

We made two more stands but the wind was picking up and we didn't have any takers so we packed it up and headed home.

We are expecting high winds tomorrow so we may take the night off.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks those are the two I have been trying to decide from. Which would be your pick now?

The X24 plays a higher quality sound from my understanding but I can't hear the difference. It's also a bit more compact compared to the Shockwave.

The Shockwave has the ability to mix two sounds which I like to do. The decoy also mounts to it which is simpler than using a standalone with the X24. The Shockwave allows you to point the two speakers in different directions vs the X24 only having a single speaker.

I would buy the Shockwave personally but either one will work well for serious predator hunters.

Jealous, sounds like my kind of fun! Shooting off of tripod, with a thermal is not as easy at it looks (unless they are broadside at 40-50 yards). What bullets are you shooting out of that 223?

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Jealous, sounds like my kind of fun! Shooting off of tripod, with a thermal is not as easy at it looks (unless they are broadside at 40-50 yards). What bullets are you shooting out of that 223?
My load is 40 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips, 27.5 grains of Benchmark, CCI small rifle primers, in Remington brass. Velocity is 3580 fps with a 22" barreled AR15.

Nice! You may want try a slower expanding bullet for your next night time calling trip. I learned that I struggle to make that perfect center of the chest/right behind the shoulder shot with a thermal/tripod set up @ unknown distances (hard to tell if they are quartering some or not -usually are). I lost ~20 last december/january shooting different vmax bullets (embarrassing to say that). Switched to a spt this year and I am not having those issues. Still have to make some follow up shots (because I'm still an average shot), but they aren't at running dogs (more flopping/spinning).

I have never had this issue in the daytime, with a normal scope.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Nice! You may want try a slower expanding bullet for your next night time calling trip. I learned that I struggle to make that perfect center of the chest/right behind the shoulder shot with a thermal/tripod set up @ unknown distances (hard to tell if they are quartering some or not -usually are). I lost ~20 last december/january shooting different vmax bullets (embarrassing to say that). Switched to a spt this year and I am not having those issues. Still have to make some follow up shots (because I'm still an average shot), but they aren't at running dogs (more flopping/spinning).

I have never had this issue in the daytime, with a normal scope.
I was thinking about that possibility for sure.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
How do you like your Kryptek Overwhites?
I bought them during their sale for about $80 I think and I'm pretty impressed. They are sized decent for me and fit over my Sitka puffy pants, and my Kuiu Burner parka. So far the zippers have worked well. The jacket has pit zips and zippered access for your pockets on your inner jacket.

The pants have full length zippers so they are easy to get on over your boots. I used Firstlite suspenders to keep them up and I recommend that.

The gaiters are simple but effective at keeping snow out and reducing the how baggy the pants are at the bottom.

Johnson27

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks Justin. I've been trying to find a good snow camo and they caught my eye. I really like Kryptek and have plenty of it already. Too bad I missed the sale.

lennywd87

Lil-Rokslider
If I was doing it now I would build a 6.5 SAUM.

I already have the long action with the 06 bolt face so the mag is a no go. I was more so wondering if you were happy with the twist you went with. I was thinking 1/8. I’m drawn to the abundance of brass available in 06. I was eyeing a 6.5 Sherman LA as well. Glad to see you are downing dogs. I just sent my scope in for warranty or I’d be out up north as well.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
M
I already have the long action with the 06 bolt face so the mag is a no go. I was more so wondering if you were happy with the twist you went with. I was thinking 1/8. I’m drawn to the abundance of brass available in 06. I was eyeing a 6.5 Sherman LA as well. Glad to see you are downing dogs. I just sent my scope in for warranty or I’d be out up north as well.

My two new ones have 1/8 twist barrels and that's what I recommend.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
We had a decent night last night but it was Branden's turn to struggle killing them. I was able to kill four.

Stand one we had two coming in but they were heading for our wind and got behind a hill. As soon as the lead dog showed itself Branden shot but missed.

Next stand we called in five dogs but the wind was pretty bad and they winded us before getting in range. Should have skipped that spot but it we were there so we gave it a shot.

After that we had three blanks and were starting to get tired. Probably around midnight or so.

On the sixth stand things started going our way. The moon was finally hidden by the clouds so it didn't look like daytime. We hiked out about 300 yards over a rise, into graze land. We thought we could see a coyote mousing way out to our right so we quietly set up and hit the Foxpro. Nothing from that direction but after a few minutes we had 5 hard-charging dogs running in directly in front of us. When they hit about the 100 yard mark Branden switched the sound and the lead dog stopped. I couldn't see the others in my scope so I smoked him. Unfortunately Branden was just getting settled on another and it spooked at the shot. He fired just as it was taking off and missed.

imagejpeg_0(15).jpg

On the next stand we were back in more rolling graze land. We had coyotes howling and yapping from everywhere it seemed like. Finally, after 15 minutes or so we had one working a creek bottom towards us. When it popped out I was able to smoke it. We hit the pup distress and after a minute I saw another coyote running the ridge to our left and behind us. The wind was blowing that way so I didn't expect a shot. Somehow it didn't wind us and popped out directly behind us up a steep hill. I quickly shifted positions and shot that one.

imagejpeg_1(6).jpg

Our next stand was basically right off the side of the road overlooking a creek drainage. Again we had coyotes yipping and howling from all over. None seemed to want to come in though. It took a while but eventually I heard a howl/bark on the ridge behind and to my right. Here we go again. I spun around and see a dog way up on the ridge. The shot angle was really steep and it kept moving every time I got it in the scope. It disappeared and after a sound switch on the Foxpro it came back over for another look. I quickly took aim and stoned it at 252 yards. (According to onX)

imagejpeg_1(7).jpg

Our last stand (now about 6 am) was in farmland alongside a gravel road. We had two dogs come in from our left and set up for the shot. When they hit about 200 yards we counted 1, 2, 3 and both shot. I hit my coyote but not solid and it trotted off without giving me a good follow-up. Branden thought he missed and his ran off. We are going to check his scope for zero before we go out again incase his zero shifted.

We are on our way back for some sleep now.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Thermal conditions sucked and the wind was higher than we like so we only did a couple of stands before calling it a night. No coyotes on either stand. Hopefully we can get out one more night before I head home.