Why used prices on here so high?

jtivat

Lil-Rokslider
I have wondered if people do not realize items go on sale. There were some KUIU items for sale here used for more than new on sale. But I figure if someone pays it then it was worth it to them.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Don’t forget that by the time you add in tax and shipping the price for new is a pretty decent chunk over MSRP.

Let’s use you’re example from your original post…

$270 for boots MSRP. Most places will charge $10-$15 for shipping. You’ll also pay whatever sales tax percentage in your area. If you go in person to a store you’ll spend money in fuel there and back.

You’re going to be out at least $300 for the “$270 boots” most likely more.

I’d say paying $240 shipped to your door for a pair of $300+ boots is a really fine deal.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I have wondered if people do not realize items go on sale. There were some KUIU items for sale here used for more than new on sale. But I figure if someone pays it then it was worth it to them.
I have wondered if people do not realize that KUIU is constantly out of stock in common sizes and colors. When it pops up available in the classifieds here, for less than new, they are happy to buy it.

Reactions: Fry
OP
Fry

Fry

FNG
When you realize how bad you got taken by the outdoor marketing machine, you try to Salvage your embarrassment by getting most of your money back.
Now i understand and will be more charitable to the victims! Too funny and too true!

OP
Fry

Fry

FNG
Lots of folks screamed and screamed that everyone needed to put shipping and PP fees into the asking price. Well........there you go. And shipping these days is definitely not cheap. I got some shipping estimates on a tripod I was selling, and the cheapest was $47. No one wants to pay that, so I just kept it. Good thing too.....my other tripod just broke.
Ah thats a good point. I havent bought from a store or directly from a manufacturer in a while. But clicking around I see most dont have a free shipping option anymore.

OP
Fry

Fry

FNG
Oh man the variety of responses are I realize what makes this forum so enjoyable.

I get polite “consider this” posts to post that I can only imagine have someone red in the face with calluses on there thumbs mashing away…

Vandy321

WKR
Cmon fellas-new guy does have a point tho....how many items do you see that are used-well because regardless of the condition, it’s still USED, as in no warranty or ability to return-with asking prices darn near new! Then it gets bumped to the top to death, last price drop, etc....
If only some sellers would take a moment and see what CURRENT street prices are for new, and price it accordingly for their used item. I’ve been interested in more than a few times, and while looking up the item to read more about it, see it’s being sold used for more than new-this just clogs up the classifieds. But-I don’t let it bother me, because they will eventually figure it out.
An old timer once told me that my used car is worth what someone was willing to pay-NOT the sentimental price tag I’ve applied to it.
I personally stick to a 60% of retail guideline for selling used equipment. Even if it “never left my pack” 😜
Thats incorrect, there are most certainly warranties that transfer on used items. High end glass for example.

svivian

WKR
Shipping prices have gotten out of hand i feel like. Last night I went to order some Tac Vanes and their adhering kit to try them out so about $50 and then shipping was going to be over $11 added on.... needless to say i did not end up ordering any.

Team4LongGun

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thats incorrect, there are most certainly warranties that transfer on used items. High end glass for example.

Wasn’t speaking in absolutes, nor did I mention a particular piece of gear. In general was what I was referring to. The “majority” of gear does not.

But don’t care to argue over word play, it’s a waste of time for me. You win 👍

jtivat

Lil-Rokslider
I have wondered if people do not realize that KUIU is constantly out of stock in common sizes and colors. When it pops up available in the classifieds here, for less than new, they are happy to buy it.
Like I said if they feel it is worth it then great, I have no issue. My Issue is when I do see a good deal it is never in XXL! lol

WCB

WKR
So a guy wears a pair of boots on a couple of 2 mile hikes. Decides...nope not for me. You want him to sell them for $20?

Also, what is the first thing you do if you buy an expensive item at a garage sale for next to nothing...you brag about how great of a find you just made and how dumb the person selling it was. "They could have got $200 for this autographed picture and I got it for $2....what a moron."

CorbLand

WKR
Also, what is the first thing you do if you buy an expensive item at a garage sale for next to nothing...you brag about how great of a find you just made and how dumb the person selling it was. "They could have got $200 for this autographed picture and I got it for $2....what a moron."
Get out of here with logic. We all know that the only thing that matters is how much money I make when I sell things and how much I save when I buy things. Everyone else is just a greedy bastard.

So a guy wears a pair of boots on a couple of 2 mile hikes. Decides...nope not for me. You want him to sell them for $20?

I don’t think anyone has that expectation. At least I certainly don’t. I just have to laugh when something is posted for more than recent or current sale price, or more than leo/mil discount.

zacattack

WKR
People are willing to pay in most cases.

It’s also not a garage sale for the most part. There’s no way for a lot of us to try stuff on in the store so we have to risk it and buy online. Then try it and sometimes the return window is gone or there are no returns. So, a lot of stuff here is practically new.

CorbLand

WKR
I don’t think anyone has that expectation. At least I certainly don’t. I just have to laugh when something is posted for more than recent or current sale price, or more than leo/mil discount.
Not everyone is going to watch every store to make sure that the item they are selling is not on sale somewhere else. Not everyone has access to LEO/Military discounts. There is a local store here that puts Sitka on sale every Christmas. Should I expect you to know that and price yours accordingly? The answer is no, I shouldn't. I watch pricing at many places, and purchase from the place that gives me the best value. Have I asked sellers if they would be willing to match or go below a place that has a current sale? Yes, but no where do I expect them to.

Sale prices and special deals should not be the base line for pricing. There is no market that is more free than the classifieds of a forum. You can literally buy and sell things at your discretion.

Last edited: