Why cant people accept the fact that some people dont need a drop tested scope?

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Your missing the point if it's used it could be broke and causing the shift. I fully understand the rifle set up they use. But a used scope is another variable why wouldn't you want to know its in normal working order? To eliminate that variable.
"All tests state where the scope came from, IE new purchase by Ryan, user sent it, etc. All are a data point for a reader to take into account. There is no end all be all. If a user sent in scope was tested and you feel it may have been previously damaged and YOU really want that scope tested in new conditions then test it yourself or send it in for testing, take personal accountability for the data YOU want."

MT_Wyatt

WKR
PSA: I think with all of the emotional attachment to the brand Leupold in particluar, it might be time to call for a Rokslide-wide truce of sorts on the matter. I was contemplating starting a thread in optics asking for this same thing.

I'm not saying don't post stuff to help people asking about Luepold, because I think that's worthwhile, just like @pods8 (Rugged Stitching) did above with the tests. But I think it's high time that those "for" and those "against" Leupold in general just agree to disagree. It's been well documented. Those swooping in to save the internet in "defending" Luepold by attacking drop test protocols etc is the first place where it needs to stop - we get it. And I think the "every L scope will fail" post in response to this (true or not) also needs to be curtailed - we also get it. Niether side is going to convince each other.

I really think this would clean up a lot of threads.

fwafwow

WKR
Your missing the point if it's used it could be broke and causing the shift. I fully understand the rifle set up they use. But a used scope is another variable why wouldn't you want to know its in normal working order? To eliminate that variable.
This is (IMHO) a good point that has been raised and addressed in other threads. A couple of responses have been made. First, no scope manufacturer (to my knowledge) is willing to provide new scopes for the test (or even a single scope). Second, even if a manufacturer did provide a scope, some would point it it might have been tweaked or otherwise build differently from the retail version in order to pass the tests. Third, the tests are limited by what is available (source of scope), the time of the testers, and by budget. As far as I know, all of the scopes are being provided by RS and/or RS members. And even a "new" scope provided by a member isn't technically KNOWN to be "new" since I could have messed it up and said it was new.

Not directed at you @Archer86, but plenty of people (and scope makers) have taken issue with the methodology of the tests (in addition to many who take issue with even the concept of any test being needed). But for those who get past the issue of whether the tests are needed, or at least helptul, not many of those who point out limitations in the methodology have offered constructive ways of improvement - or at least realistic ones (given the time and cost constraints).

Macintosh

WKR
…or outlined how I stand to lose even if the test “fails” some scopes that may have passed had they been new or the test closer to truly standardized. From my seat a “false failure” is the only possible downside to the test not being perfectly scientific on these evals, so what is the risk to me if I DONT buy a scope that might have passed the eval but didnt, and instead buy one that did pass the eval?

Wrench

WKR
Every scope that broke was gonna break on the next shot....the shot before it broke.

I prefer to have the odds in my favor.....and to NEVER deal with Swarovski warranty service again.

Archer86

WKR
This is (IMHO) a good point that has been raised and addressed in other threads. A couple of responses have been made. First, no scope manufacturer (to my knowledge) is willing to provide new scopes for the test (or even a single scope). Second, even if a manufacturer did provide a scope, some would point it it might have been tweaked or otherwise build differently from the retail version in order to pass the tests. Third, the tests are limited by what is available (source of scope), the time of the testers, and by budget. As far as I know, all of the scopes are being provided by RS and/or RS members. And even a "new" scope provided by a member isn't technically KNOWN to be "new" since I could have messed it up and said it was new.

Not directed at you @Archer86, but plenty of people (and scope makers) have taken issue with the methodology of the tests (in addition to many who take issue with even the concept of any test being needed). But for those who get past the issue of whether the tests are needed, or at least helptul, not many of those who point out limitations in the methodology have offered constructive ways of improvement - or at least realistic ones (given the time and cost constraints).
It's really doesn't seam that hard to test scopes in normally everyday use before it is drop tested all you have to do is change around the sequence drop test last or after so many miles in a truck and shots fired of the test. Eliminate a variable.

It's funny to me that you pointed out some would be worried that the manufacture would tweak a factory scope to pass the test but those same guys are not concern a used scope being sent in isn't damaged?

To each there own any used scope test I take with a grain of salt and that's just how I approach it

wyosam

WKR
…or outlined how I stand to lose even if the test “fails” some scopes that may have passed had they been new or the test closer to truly standardized. From my seat a “false failure” is the only possible downside to the test not being perfectly scientific on these evals, so what is the risk to me if I DONT buy a scope that might have passed the eval but didnt, and instead buy one that did pass the eval?

The main thing you give up as near as I can tell is weight. Seems light and durable don’t go together currently, I think it is probably achievable to a degree, but something else likely has to be given up. Scopes that pass the drop tests tend to be north of 20 oz, generally 22 and up. The Credo 3-9 that did well but failed was as good as it gets at 17oz. I’d love to see the accupoint 3-9 tested as it’s 14ish I think (though not enough to buy one to send for testing).

Not a risk so much, just an acceptance of trade offs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drenalin

WKR
It's really doesn't seam that hard to test scopes in normally everyday use before it is drop tested all you have to do is change around the sequence drop test last or after so many miles in a truck and shots fired of the test. Eliminate a variable.
I'm not looking to get sucked into this back-and-forth by either side, but Form has pointed out at least once that scopes that pass all portions of the drop test do not exhibit loss of zero issues during the ride-along portion of the eval. Whereas scopes that don't pass all portions of the drop test do tend to show issues during the ride-along portion of the eval. Assuming that's true, and I don't have any reason to believe he's being disingenuous in that statement or any other portion of these evals, then to me he could pretty much stop after he drops them, as the drops themselves - whether an actual drop seems relevant to you or I or not - tend to indicate potential issues in the long-term, rather than simply being a test of whether the scope can survive a 36-inch fall.

Please bear in mind that in the above paragraph I am simply sharing information that has been shared in other places on this forum. I am not an evangelist for or against the scope evals, nor am I saying you or anyone else is wrong. I think people can look at the information themselves and choose to accept it, deny it, apply it, ignore it, or any combination thereof.

fwafwow

WKR
Addressed above by the highly esteemed @Drenalin. But this is a constructive suggestion - just not one that I personally agree with.
It's funny to me that you pointed out some would be worried that the manufacture would tweak a factory scope to pass the test but those same guys are not concern a used scope being sent in isn't damaged?
I didn't say, and didn't mean to suggest, that the same people would hold those two views. And if anyone is concerned about anything, they can just use the results as a data point. Or not.
To each there own any used scope test I take with a grain of salt and that's just how I approach it
I think many are in agreement on this point.

Last edited:

freddyG

WKR
Unless the scope has been tampered with by disassembly, I don’t think testing a used scope really makes any difference. There are Nightforce scopes with six digit round counts still going, so if a scope breaks with regular use, its junk anyway.

JGRaider

WKR

Vast numbers of hunters/shooters don't need a group of self proclaimed experts on the internet to test their gear, mount riflescopes, do load development, or reload ammo for them. They are perfectly capable of doing it without any outside help. I'd guess optics makers/sellers probably feel the same way.

fwafwow

WKR
Vast numbers of hunters/shooters don't need a group of self proclaimed experts on the internet to test their gear, mount riflescopes, do load development, or reload ammo for them. They are perfectly capable of doing it without any outside help. I'd guess optics makers/sellers probably feel the same way.
I’m not sure how your post is responsive to mine, but I think your point of view is known.

If it was used and broke spontaneously before being sent in for the test..that is not a scope I would want to consider personally.

The drops tests are good at identifying rugged scopes that tend to work extremely well. They are probably not as good for teasing out the “tweeners”..scopes that might work ok for awhile and for most guys under most situations.

Not everyone needs or wants rugged durability..probably because they already own something they like and get their feeling hurt when they realize there are better options out there. For someone purchasing a new scope I can’t imagine why they wouldn’t appreciate the information in the drop tests.

Archer86

WKR
If it was used and broke spontaneously before being sent in for the test..that is not a scope I would want to consider personally.

The drops tests are good at identifying rugged scopes that tend to work extremely well. They are probably not as good for teasing out the “tweeners”..scopes that might work ok for awhile and for most guys under most situations.

Not everyone needs or wants rugged durability..probably because they already own something they like and get their feeling hurt when they realize there are better options out there. For someone purchasing a new scope I can’t imagine why they wouldn’t appreciate the information in the drop tests.
Testing a Used scope is another variable regardless how you FEEL about it doesn't matter its a uncontrollable variable that Could likely influence the out come of the evaluation.

Testing a Used scope is another variable regardless how you FEEL about it doesn't matter it’s an uncontrollable variable that Could likely influence the out come of the evaluation.
Sure. And that information is posted in the drop evals for the reader to factor in. Just because all of my scopes are currently “used” doesnt mean I expect less from them.

Would you still feel confident in your personal scope if you saw that it failed the drop test, but someone sent in a used model?

A well built scope SHOULD pass the drop eval new, used, abused…

Again if a scope fails, no amount of excuses or reasons are going to make me feel good about buying that model.

Obviously you are free to make your own personal conclusions about the information presented in the drop evals..