Why cant people accept the fact that some people dont need a drop tested scope?

ssimo

Lil-Rokslider
Correct you don't now what you are speaking about.

We are not friends.

You are wrong about people here waiting to

You may feel free to not respond and put me on ignore. Thank you kindly.

You see? A totally non personal topic gives birth to personal attacks. Why? Why would you care about me knowing or not what i am talking about?

Lol, being a psychiatrist i meet a lot of aggressive and angry people every day, since you are a fellow hunter (maybe), feel free to PM me for a free advice!

We are great friends actually Reburn, don't break my hearth like this <3

I would never put you on ignore

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
You see? A totally non personal topic gives birth to personal attacks. Why? Why would you care about me knowing or not what i am talking about?

Lol, being a psychiatrist i meet a lot of aggressive and angry people every day, since you are a fellow hunter (maybe), feel free to PM me for a free advice!

We are great friends actually Reburn, don't break my hearth like this <3

I would never put you on ignore

I didn't personally attack you. I'm not even remotey angry. Thanks for your offer but I like the way I'm screwed up just fine.

Please do some research and tell me what one of the most reccomeneded scopes on this forum is.

ssimo

Lil-Rokslider
Serious question.
So if I drop my scope how form does it and it holds zero but I dont video it or take pictures is that data or an opinion? Since I can't quanitify it with proof who gets to make that call?
It is obviously just a report for others and an experience for you. From one or more reports other people can develope an opinion, from your experience you can develope an opinion. Pretty easy. A proof of a fact is a totally different thing, my dear friend.

ssimo

Lil-Rokslider
I didn't personally attack you. I'm not even remotey angry. Thanks for your offer but I like the way I'm screwed up just fine.

Please do some research and tell me what one of the most reccomeneded scopes on this forum is.
Ok, now we are talking like reasonable people. Glad to see it.

I don't care about forum consensus about scopes enough to do a research on this.. when i wanted some opinions i asked here in the past and the people here where great! I mean, most of them, then there are always the weird guys here and there

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I can only give my reasoning why I’m not conducting drop tests on my scopes. An individual scope may pass the tests, but that ninth drop might be the last one it’s going to put up with before it fails. I really appreciate those willing to punish scopes, or offer up their own for punishment. The two vx6HD 2-12s on my twin tikkas were recently replaced with credo 2.5-15s based in large part on how well they did on the drop tests. That being said, one of the vx6’s has been dead reliable for the 3.5 years it was on my primary hunting rifle. That one never came off the rifle, and once it was broke in and loads settled on, it never moved. Zero was reset frequently, between the hunting load zero and lead core practice/steel/target zero. Repeatable changes (always 3clicks left and 1 up going from copper to lead and opposite the other direction). About 700 rounds on the rifle when I pulled that scope. It bounced around Wyoming for a year or so back and forth to the range, then rode in a soft case in my gun safe with all the others with a few blankets stuffed in to take up dead space for the moved to Alaska (up the alcan in a semi trailer). The other one always seemed reliable, though that rifle got switched between barrels a lot and played with a lot more different loads so I don’t have anyway to really know if it held zero consistently.

I switched for two reasons- durability. For my use case, I hadn’t personally seen a reason for this, but feeling how my flat bottom jet boat rides on wind chop made me concerned- it’s a beating in a gun boot. The other was wanting adjustable parallax with a lower end under 3.

I do suspect that if I dialed more, I’d have given up on the leupolds sooner. Shooting fairly flat cartridges inside 600 (then 300 hinder after I moved to AK) doesn’t test dialing much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep, hitting 3 foot chop will beat the crap out of stuff (and people). I think that ride is likely much harder on it than nine 36 inch drops.

fwafwow

WKR
I'm sure that each "side" always thinks that the other is the one that first resorts to snarky and passive aggressive posts. Regardless of who fires the first shot, things go downhill quickly from there. We are past that point.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved

Hear, I can piss everyone off.

I'm out on this poo storm.

ssimo

Lil-Rokslider
I'm sure that each "side" always thinks that the other is the one that first resorts to snarky and passive aggressive posts. Regardless of who fires the first shot, things go downhill quickly from there. We are past that point.
That's true. Forums should be place where people talk about their passion without aggressions or personal attacks. Unfortunately it's not always the case. Sorry if i didn't ignore the provocation, let's use the amazing ignore function and go on!

Back to the topic! ;)

View attachment 660493
My hope with these photos is to show some Scopes that don't pass a drop test do just fine in the field... Look at the country, not babied. Rifle is a 35 Whelen Ackley Improved, each of these animals taken with a 200, 225 or 250 gr Barnes X, TSX or TTSX.

^^^Above^^^

Nov 2022 VX3HD CDS
Buck, zeroed at 100 yds, dialed for 230 yd shot. Could have held vs dial at that range, but dialed shot hit where aimed. First time with a dial scope, had to try it don't you know.

View attachment 660494
2022, Same set up 210 yds. Hard angle, exited left rear qtr.

View attachment 660498
2022, Same set up 220 yds.

These three animals were taken on consecutive days with consecutive shots, no re zero. Riding in an ATV to and from the hunt site, gun cased.

View attachment 660506

Leupold VX-2, 255 yds, sighted 2.5" high at 100 (mpbr sight-in). One shot on the trot moving right to left. Went 20 yards into a pile up.

After driving 225 MI in the back of an SUV in a case, being hauled 3 mi in to camp on an old logging Road stacked on top of all the other camp equipment using a game cart. Then hiked through the High country anywhere from a few miles to 10 miles a day. Gun set down multiple times daily, cased and uncased every night and morning in a tent at camp, subjected to miles and miles on a sling on my shoulder.

Every other picture below is from 120 yards to 341 yd. Same rifle same VX-2, same hauling into hunting camp, hunting the same unit. The rifle gets hauled out every year the same way, put in the safe, a couple shots to confirm zero the next time it is shot while playing with the latest and greatest load I'm trying to develop in the off season.

View attachment 660510

View attachment 660511
View attachment 660515
View attachment 660516
View attachment 660518
View attachment 660519

Those are some great animals and obviously represent good kill shots. But, respectfully, they don't really show whether or not your scope held zero. Without having a mark that shows your point of aim and measuring from there to the point of impact, all we really can tell is you most likely hit within 8 inches or so of where you were aiming. Again, I'm not trying to trash what look like great memorable hunts, nor am I claiming you didn't hit where you aimed, I'm just trying to explain what data can and can't be analyzed from seeing pictures of dead critters vs a test on paper with exact points of aim and impact.

So if you are trying to show that even though a certain scope might not perfectly hold zero, it can still be used somewhat effectively (or in your case very effectively) to kill animals, then I think you've shown it well. However if you are trying to show that a certain scope reliably holds zero, then I don't think showing successful kills really gives quantifiable evidence of that.

And I guess this reply isn't specifically aimed at you, you just posted a good example. Many times I've seen replies in scope threads of "I know my XYZ doesn't have any problems because I've killed so many critters with it."

I'm glad your VX2s and VX3s are serving you well, and if I ever ended up in the right place at the right time I'd join you and your Leupolds on a hunt in a heartbeat.

JGRaider

WKR
Those are some great animals and obviously represent good kill shots. But, respectfully, they don't really show whether or not your scope held zero. Without having a mark that shows your point of aim and measuring from there to the point of impact, all we really can tell is you most likely hit within 8 inches or so of where you were aiming. Again, I'm not trying to trash what look like great memorable hunts, nor am I claiming you didn't hit where you aimed, I'm just trying to explain what data can and can't be analyzed from seeing pictures of dead critters vs a test on paper with exact points of aim and impact.

So if you are trying to show that even though a certain scope might not perfectly hold zero, it can still be used somewhat effectively (or in your case very effectively) to kill animals, then I think you've shown it well. However if you are trying to show that a certain scope reliably holds zero, then I don't think showing successful kills really gives quantifiable evidence of that.

And I guess this reply isn't specifically aimed at you, you just posted a good example. Many times I've seen replies in scope threads of "I know my XYZ doesn't have any problems because I've killed so many critters with it."

I'm glad your VX2s and VX3s are serving you well, and if I ever ended up in the right place at the right time I'd join you and your Leupolds on a hunt in a heartbeat.
Givemeafreakingbreak..........

I have no idea what i am talking about? 😂 thanks man, so friendly and so not aggressive as usual! You don't know me, you don't know how much experience do i have with scopes.
There is no "most recommended scope", if a scope is recommended or not it depends on the budget and the application, so you are factually wrong.

My friend, post a thread called "most recommended scope with any budget" and let's see what people suggest 600 dollars scope.

As i said before, forums are funny places. People always personally attacking and looking for arguments for no reason.

For clarification, not to further stomp the turds down the drain.

His reference is the fact that the Rokslide Special (RSS) is recommended to have a sub $600 scope. Likely the most recommended scope on this site.

It's not in a poll of hunters what's most recommended, that's probably vortex. I'd bet less than 5% of hunting license purchasers across the US have even heard of a super chicken.

Back to your regularly scheduled dumpster fire.

Someone @ me when it's time for Memes.

Scottf270

WKR
People take things too personal. Most also want to be right. I just like honest discussion and sharing ideas.

Are the drop tests perfect? Do they show how certain brands may have strengths or weaknesses? Do they mean all Nightforces are great? Do they mean all Leupolds are crap?

I'll just say this, I love Dodge (Ram) trucks. I have driven nothing else since 1985. They have been stellar for me in every way. Are they the best? Are they perfect? Are they the best value? They are to me. Would I die defending them to the world? No. But until they stop working for me, I'll keep driving them.

If what you have works for you, by all means keep using it. I'll use what works for me. Just don't close your mind to new ideas or higher standards. That's how better products get developed. And remember, it's shouldn't be personal.

freddyG

WKR
I don’t care what other people do/use. My biggest issue is the lying, or purposeful omission of important details that goes on by people not just on this forum, but others as well. Steering people to buy something because it profits the poster happens a lot, whether anyone wants to admit it or not.

Not everyone needs a scope that passes a drop test, but I bet most people would like a scope that stays zeroed while traveling in a vehicle. It is ridiculous to have a scope lose zero from travel on forest roads. If drop testing shows us this(which I think it does), I’m all for it.

I don’t agree with everything Form posts, but I’m not going to call him out and insinuate he is a liar either. Some have, and when they get called out for it, they are basically gone with the wind. This kind of dump and run approach is not cool in my book.

wyosam

WKR
Screw it, I’m going to start strictly doing knife kills

Looking forward to knife length and size debates, arguments over sharpening, stabbing vs slicing, grip preferences, and of course post drop performance testing. What is your planned delivery system?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk