Why are people so unkind

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello people , Firstly I'd like to thank those couple of people who actually gave me constructive advice in my previous post . Iam wanting to Bowhunt Elk in Colorado this September and ask for advise on units ete , this will be my first and last trip to Colorado . Well anyone would think Iam asking to borrow your wife for a month , Iam coming from Australia so its not like Iam going the hammer your secret units or areas and the chances of me shooting a Bull are slim , although I did shoot a Bull in Utah OTC a few years back . Iam going to put in for a draw unit in the SW portion of the state , Ill be hunting by myself , if I don't draw I'll go OTC . I ask previously for advise nothing more , I'am not a tuff guy or a big Instagram Elk hunter like a few portray themselves on this forum , If you wanted to come down to Australia to hunt and we can basically hunt 12 months of the year no tags , no drawing . I would be one of the guys you'd ask for advise , help , and maybe even catch up for a hunt . I don't care if you want to shoot one of our Stags or Buffalo or any other of our game species down here , but gee ask you guys for advise its like cutting your left arm off . Again I sincerely thank those couple of dudes that did help me with some direction in your beautiful state .

elkguide

WKR
There are those keyboard cowboys that we all shake our heads at and just grimace when we read their words. I wish that I was familiar with Colorado to help you out. I do have quite a bit of experience in hunting elk and would be glad to help with what I can. Good luck and don't give up. There are good people out there.

Life is good!

Tod osier

WKR
I missed your post, so I looked it up.

You were treated pretty neutrally and other than a popcorn emoji (which isn't exactly inflammatory) , people were pretty respectful. You seem to expect that people should help you out. Nothing is stopping you from participating here, sharing your info, helping others out and earning a seat at the table.

People come here without ever contributing and ask for information that someone worked hard for (which may not be the same person as the person giving the info). You may be a great guy, or a dick, no one knows. You also may be a great guy that has a big mouth and you tell one bud or make one post on social media and the unit and or access point is burnt.

FLS

WKR
Thats a long way to travel and a lot of expense to hunt an OTC unit in CO. Good luck. I hope you kill a big one.

One-shot

Lil-Rokslider
Hello people , Firstly I'd like to thank those couple of people who actually gave me constructive advice in my previous post . Iam wanting to Bowhunt Elk in Colorado this September and ask for advise on units ete , this will be my first and last trip to Colorado . Well anyone would think Iam asking to borrow your wife for a month , Iam coming from Australia so its not like Iam going the hammer your secret units or areas and the chances of me shooting a Bull are slim , although I did shoot a Bull in Utah OTC a few years back . Iam going to put in for a draw unit in the SW portion of the state , Ill be hunting by myself , if I don't draw I'll go OTC . I ask previously for advise nothing more , I'am not a tuff guy or a big Instagram Elk hunter like a few portray themselves on this forum , If you wanted to come down to Australia to hunt and we can basically hunt 12 months of the year no tags , no drawing . I would be one of the guys you'd ask for advise , help , and maybe even catch up for a hunt . I don't care if you want to shoot one of our Stags or Buffalo or any other of our game species down here , but gee ask you guys for advise its like cutting your left arm off . Again I sincerely thank those couple of dudes that did help me with some direction in your beautiful state .
Good for you for calling the unkind, unfriendly, territorial guys out on this. I experienced the same thing a few years ago. One guy was down right mean. Maybe the unkind dudes are the ones who really have never successfully harvested and are resentful, or just jealous that some are fortunate enough to hunt internationally. Good luck with your hunt.

2ski

WKR
I missed your post, so I looked it up.

You were treated pretty neutrally and other than a popcorn emoji (which isn't exactly inflammatory) , people were pretty respectful. You seem to expect that people should help you out. Nothing is stopping you from participating here, sharing your info, helping others out and earning a seat at the table.

People come here without ever contributing and ask for information that someone worked hard for (which may not be the same person as the person giving the info). You may be a great guy, or a dick, no one knows. You also may be a great guy that has a big mouth and you tell one bud or make one post on social media and the unit and or access point is burnt.
Thanks for looking it up. I expected the normal flim flam and what's it when someone brand new asks for info. But literally everyone was helping him, outside of the 🍿. Which I pause at even calling it minor. It's kind of nothing.

Maybe it's a cultural difference.

jlw0142

Lil-Rokslider
Just read your thread and no one was unkind...I am at the same level as you on this forum, but I wouldnt ask a question like that right now and expect helpful answers. You have contributed nothing to the forum but want people to give you their hard-earned information for a state that is already totally overrun with hunting pressure. I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just saying that (like anything in life) you have to give some to get some. Plus, you shouldnt count on people's recommendations for deciding on a unit anyways because they could be leading you astray. I would recommend checking out GoHunt. They have lots of good info that would seriously aid your decision and its easy to navigate through.

2ski

WKR
Good luck on your hunt. Also agree that some of these guys would rather you take their wife for a month than give up their elk spots. I'm sure there is a meme for that somewhere on here.
I mean is the wife hot? Because I will absolutely take that up for a month if she is.

jimh406

WKR
its not like Iam going the hammer your secret units or areas

People aren't being unkind. You don't seem to understand that any detailed information on the internet is read by a lot of people. A small percentage of those people will hammer the units and areas based only on a post or two. It's not all about "you".

There is plenty of information available on GoHunt, this site, using state information along with mapping programs like OnX. If you want an easy hunt, simply hire an outfitter/guide. Otherwise, it takes some work for you to process available information. There is a reason it's called "hunting".

I think people were helpful. You come on here and first post is asking for information people put a lot of hard work into getting. If you stick around and contribute, ask more specific questions showing you've actually researched, more people might be forthcoming with info.

Our hunting cultures are different. You just said in Australia, no tags, no draws, no seasons, plenty of animals and all non native. Resource is plentiful. Here, elk opportunities are getting harder and harder to come by, takes a lot of work and getting more expensive by the day. In another 5 years, OTC will just be a memory. I would hope you could see why people are not lining up to help.

As for the popcorn, every Aussie I've come across is pretty good at ball busting. I'd try not to be so sensitive, especially on an Internet forum. I wish you luck on any future hunts.

I wouldn't consider anyone hiding behind a keyboard, spitting words to be mean. lol I have seen mean, and it isn't on this site. lol

PS: Leave your feelings in Australia if you are coming to Colorado to hunt public land elk. It's not your normal "bush walkabout" lol

Wishing you the best of luck!

I wouldn't consider anyone hiding behind a keyboard, spitting words to be mean. lol I have seen mean, and it isn't on this site. lol

PS: Leave your feelings in Australia if you are coming to Colorado to hunt public land elk. It's not your normal "bush walkabout" lol

Wishing you the best of luck!
Haha no kidding. I had someone drop a dirt snake right outside my driver’s side door and put the toilet paper on my truck in good old CO (had the dreaded out of state tag).
I wasn’t even that mad because while they were doing that, I was packing out an elk. I do back into trailheads now though 😂

Status
Not open for further replies.