Who Mountain Bikes?

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
No first hand experience, but THEY ARE ALL OVER IN COLORADO!

Looks like a hell of a way to get low impact cardio!

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Put some miles on the Fat Bike yesterday.

It's a Surly Pug Ops

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1387455733872.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1387455733872.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 126

Wrongside

WKR
Those things look fun! Seems to be a lot more people using them around here. Saw some guys commuting with them yesterday. They seem to handle snow pretty well!

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
i cant keep up..you have TWO bikes now? is there "energy loss" on the pug, versus your Specialized?

Timing 12 mile loop on specialized today....did same loop on the Ryan Avery yesterday.

Will compare times when finished...if I don't die of heart attack!

Its a beeaatch of a climb

Off I go....

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1387493761403.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1387493761403.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 85

Mike7

WKR
Wow, the Surly Pug has been named the "Ryan Avery"? ...harsh! :)

That Surly does look sweet. I looked at getting a Surly a couple of years ago, but being in my 40's, I'm just too in love with having shocks.

Birddog

FNG
I used to ride strictly a road bike (20 yrs ago), then switched to mtn bike (12 yrs ago) then switched back about three yrs ago. Yes, I suppose I may have a psych disorder. Anyway, this past year I bought a Salsa Fargo. Apparently it was built for ultra distance riding on any surface. If you're interested in mountain biking, but not so much on the technical stuff, this might be your baby. I don't live near a lot of forest service roads, but there is plenty of gravel here to keep it interesting. I would think it would be absolutely incredible out west on all those FS roads. This thing is the most fun I've had on a bike since I was a kid. The fatbikes do look like a ton of fun tho...

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
So I ended up swapping the Specialized Enduro in for a Yeti SB66. I'm pretty sure I was on my way to breaking the Enduro, as it is intended for a X country bike and not an ALL MOUNTAIN.

The Enduro does climb much better than the Yeti, but that has a lot to do with the Brain Fade shock on the Enduro (pretty much makes it a hard tail when climbing).

I took a few 1-2 foot drops with the Enduro and blew the air out of the rear shock both times. This is not the bikes fault at all, and if I were going to buy a pure X country bike, this would be the one.

As far as the 26 vs 29, I much prefer the 29 when climbing, but the 26" kills on downhill stuff for me.

The FAT bike has been amazing as well and rides WAY better on dry terrain than I had guessed.

I'm going to need a post dropper on the Yeti, so that'll be my next upgrade!

Hope everyone s having a great Christmas!

So I ended up swapping the Specialized Enduro in for a Yeti SB66.

Dude I am so jealous! That is my dream bike right there. Stick with 26" tires IMO. I used to ride a lot of downhill, and kept either breaking myself or my bike every time.

So, needless to say I understand you blowing out suspension. I'd throw a Fox DHX air on the back or a coil. Used to have the DHX on my Yeti 575 and I dropped some 8 foot cliffs with it, and never had an issue.

Good luck with the new bike man! I want to see pics of it.

trkyslr

WKR
Sweet bike aron... Yesterday did a 12 mile trail ride with 1800 ft of elevation gain in the mokelumne river canyon in sierras... Its deff a great workout! Cool app on iphone is map my run and then select mountain biking. Cool to track your rides and gains

Rucker61

WKR
If I were looking to get into an all-mountain bike again, I'd look into something in 650b wheels. I wouldn't mind having another Heckler for the rough stuff, but I'm strictly XC now.