Who Mountain Bikes?

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Anybody have any experience on the Giant Trance X 29er?

I don't have experience with the 29er, but I have ridden the standard Trance, and I own the Reign. The Maestro suspension is an awesome floating pivot design. I am confident it will work with all wheel sizes. I am personally excited to try the Trance 27.5.

Just saw this thread pop up again, skiing and boarding is fun, but I'm ready to start putting down some miles on the bike.

Anyone going from 29 to 27.5? Already sunk some loot into a 29inch build last year but I would really like to try a 27.5 just out of curiosity.

Lawnboi

WKR
Is it mountain bike season yet?

Just scored a good deal on a trek rumblefish pro, never thought I would own a 4k bike but I couldn't argue for the price after some haggling. Complete shimano xt build, top end fox suspension.... Finally a bike I don't want to upgrade anything on. Yet.

Now the hard part. Trails in wi will not open till late April/early may. Going to be a tough wait.

KMT

WKR
Last year I rode through January. This year the skiing has been great, so I haven't ridden the bike for a while. But I was giving the bike a pretty good look today. Two of my buddies got 29ers in the last 6 months. They swear they are faster. I still like the 26" though.

It's good to be in Colorado. Ski until turkey season, then bike until hunting season, then bike, hunt, and ride until ski season.

JJHACK

Lil-Rokslider
I live in Wa. State and in Elisrass South Africa
When my little boy was born I had a very light fast cross country bike, about 6000 miles on it. Knowing I needed to pull a trailer with my little guy, I bought a new bike full suspension and disk brakes. Needed the disk brakes with the trailer with the constant rain living near snoqualmie pass.

I bought a Santa Cruz heckler. That was 11 years ago, there is over 13,000 miles on it now. This past august I went to tubeless tires. Probably the best idea since disk brakes! Of the miles on this bike I will guess that half were pulling the trailer. We learned to stash our gear in 5 gallon buckets In The summer preparing for the fall bear season when hunting many miles behind the locked gates.

Mtn bike hunting with this trailer was a fantastic way to be well into closed areas all alone. It was easy as well to go back out down hill most of the way with meat and bear hides too. That full suspension was superb with the potholes and ruts.

JJHACK, I'm thinking of making the same type of change.
I raced cross-country for a couple of seasons (over 12 yrs ago) & bought a K2 Razorback Team. Great super light full suspension bike, almost all XTR components.
BUT, not the best bike for hunting. May try & swap it for a middle of the road CC bike I can yard a trailer behind. I think I'm done with the racing thing :)

mtbshark

WKR
JJHACK what town near the pass do you live in/near?
i am out in fall city a bunch, work and play. I ride tokul a fair amount.

Lukem

WKR
When I moved from the Black Hills back to Nebraska, I thought my Mountain biking days were basically over. I was wrong. While it's no Mecca, I was really surprised at the gem of a location we have here not far from town. Also very surprised at the cycling culture here, arguably better than the Hills. Not as many people, but a very passionate group that are all about getting people out, and could care less what gear you got. The other benefit: moderate winters. OK, while it was -20F last week, it was 65F 3 weeks ago, and will hit 60 this weekend, which means riding most of the year. Here's a ride from a couple weeks ago:

[video=vimeo;85085610]https://vimeo.com/85085610[/video]

JJHACK

Lil-Rokslider
I live in Wa. State and in Elisrass South Africa
Vance, if you can find a used or older kona they are built to withstand anything you can do on it and live

Also get a skewer mount hitch, the chain stay hitch is problematic in many ways off road.

Mtbshark, I lived between north bend and snoqualmie pass for 25 years when I was in the states off season from my hunting business in South Africa. I was the wildlife manager for the weyco tree farm. Now I'm near walla walla.

Moose2367

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in the market for a MTB now, to use primarily for hunting here in Aust. I was looking for a full susp bike but after doing some looking around i have changed to a fat bike. A full susp fat bike with lockout front and rear would be the ticket, might have to save a bit longer though, just bought a Razor spotter and my first Kifaru pack, a DT1 and an armour grip duplex.

I'll also be getting a trailer and modifying it for the fat bike, when i eventually get one.

Floorguy

WKR
I am going to go fat on the cheap with a Framed Minnesota 2.0 it comes with a set of fat rims and tires and standard 29ers