Who hunts alone?

BBucks21

FNG
So all of my family lives in Utah except for me. I’m curious how many of you hunt alone versus hunt in a group. I feel like I’m going to end up having to hunt alone at times if I want to hunt, but it makes me a little nervous for safety reasons.

For the most part I do as I have been doing more traveling and hunting. My wife will go but will stay at lodge while i'm out hunting. Guess theoretically that not hunting alone.

That makes me happy to hear I’m not stupid for wanting to go out alone. I have OnX, have hunted my whole life, and only probably half stupid 😂 So I think I’d be fine.

Not that it's the perfect solution for safety, I strongly recommend the use of Garmin inReach. Not only did it give my wife peace of mind, it's great for communication between hunting partners while in the back country.

Just something to look into.

It does not replace good common sense and a working knowledge of basic survival skills.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

I hunt and scout alone probably 75% of the time, its really nice to make decisions on the fly and not have to conferr with anyone. Its not so nice when you get a heavy animal down and have to pack it out alone.

As far as safety... A pistol and an inreach is all you need. I've never been worried about my own personal safety when going out alone but im pretty sure of myself, maybe to a fault. I had a near death experience last year on a scouting trip that ill never forget.

The majority of the time. It has its own set of challenges but I enjoy just as much as hunting in a group.
Don’t let it stop you from going.

all the time, 59yo female fwiw but with military training and extensive outdoor experience before the service.

Like others have mentioned have your PLB or InReach and self defense choices plus I would add when going alone just be extra cautious and think ahead. Carry your basic survival (and a little comfort gear in case you do spend the night alone in the woods) and learn how to use everything you carry.

I basically plan out ahead different scenarios for when to turn back, alternate routes, etc. One example is when out in the snow in the mountains I have to consider avy danger and not mess around particularly when alone.

Education, training with your chosen gear and good judgement...and good luck...can keep you alive and thirsting for your next adventures!

Maybe consider attending some schools here and there to pick up various skillsets you think you will need...or need to know...in your environment. The schools will be fun and build your confidence and you'll just feel a ton more comfortable with time.

Been going alone quite a bit recently, but everything Tradarcher said is spot on. Inreach or similar is on me always plus a sidearm. I will admit, at 59 I am way more cautious than I used to be, but I still get out there. I've always said that you should not prepare to spend the night, but expect it. I have been quite a bit more successful lately alone.

Back