First Time Hunter - Northeast

sroc112

FNG
Greetings all,

New to the board here. Long time (kind of) firearms owner but recently purchased my first hunting rifle and joined a new private outdoor range to start training for what I would like to be my first hunting experience this fall. Based on where I am located, I am thinking of a deer trip in Vermont, upstate NY, or PA.

Here is my dilemma. This is a first time for me, and while I certainly don't mind being out in the woods alone or spending countless hours not seeing any deer and learning from my mistakes, it's what happens after a kill (should I be fortunate enough to make one) that I do not want to do alone on my first time out. Last thing I want to do is spoil an animal I just killed by not gutting it out or packing it correctly. However, I have no family members that hunt and very very limited friends or acquaintances that do either.

I started to look into guided hunts in these locations and the info and pricing that I find varies greatly. I cannot afford to spend a fortune on this trip but I certainly can benefit from some help for my first time out.

So I turn to this board for guidance on a few things:

- anyone have any feedback, experiences, suggestions on quality locations based on the general area I mentioned above?
- anyone have any experience with any form of guides in these areas?
- what would a plan B for someone in my situation instead of going the guided route for a first hunt?

Thank you!

YouTube is chock full of videos on how to field dress, skin and process deer. Watch more than a few, since some show better camera work and better tutorials than others. Taken together as a whole, you should get a pretty good idea.

Good luck, and welcome to the club.

wesfromky

WKR
Check your state, and neighboring states, for a field to fork type class. Most FW departments run something like this for new hunters, and they can get you started. Some will bring in deer to dress in class and/or offer mentored hunts.

ATL

FNG
Good advice so far. Also check with fellow members at the shooting range you joined, I am sure someone there would be happy to assist you get started hunting the NE. Someone may belong to a hunting camp that will invite you along with them, or just wants a hunting partner and doesn’t mind sharing information.

Try to find a veteran bow hunter in the area you live that wouldn’t mind calling you when he is successful. You could tag along with him to blood trail, assist with field care, and help haul the deer out of the woods. I mention this option because bow season is prior to rifle season, you can gain some experience before your hunt.

Otherwise just go for it. Any patch of woods in the NE has the potential to hold deer. Find a location that is legal to hunt and begin taking hikes now. The late winter/early spring is the perfect time to scout for next season. Closer to home the better.

I am also a NE based hunter, feel free to contact me with questions about specific regions, I will answer your questions the best I can.

SloppyJ

WKR
Congrats for deciding to try something new. Can't describe how eventful it can be just sitting there in silence. It's good for the soul.

I second the YouTube suggestion. There's nothing hard about it after you're comfortable with it. Keep sticking your neck out there and just go make it happen! Hopefully there's someone close to you who will link up and take you under their wing. I sure would if you were closer.

Macintosh

WKR
Not sure where in the northeast you are, but the recommendations of a field to fork program are good. Also make sure to call your state dept of fish and wildlife and ask about any mentoring programs or hands-on learning programs—some states are active in doing hands on butchering workshops, mentor programs, etc. those are a great opportunity to see it first hand, ask questions on the spot, try it yourself, etc. Also many orgs such as nwtf, nda, bha have local chapters that also have mentorship and learn tto hunt programs.
Youtube is good too. Ive been there, its daunting not having done it yourself, but you should also have confidence that it just isnt rocket surgery—some common sense and a can-do attitude, and maybe a youtube video or two will get you butchering a deer in no time.
The other thing to mention is that some of the places you mentioned, at least in parts, dont actually have a lot of deer, and taking an animal on a short trip in those places can be really hard. Depending on where you are it could actually be more productive closer to home.

You tube is your friend. Just get out there. Have a plan. Visualize or flowchart what your going to do after you walk up to that deer on the ground right up until you get the deer home. Remember you have to get the deer out. Figure out if your dragging a field dressed deer or if your packing out meat and a head. How close is your truck or ATV to where you will shoot the deer?

Watch you tube videos based on how you will be dealing with your deer.

Consider the equipment and supplies you will need. Develop a kill kit with everything you need to get the dead deer from where you shoot it to your house or a processor. Knife, sharpener , drag, tags, gloves, a rag and some soap for cleaning yourself up.

Just visualize it. After a few deer you will know just what you need. Don't paralyze yourself worrying about
making a bad cut.

Different situations will call for different approaches (obviously); if I'm hunting property where a kill site is going to be a few hundred yards from a road or trail I'm probably going to drag a deer to the truck and process it on the tailgate, or if I am going to be deeper than that I might try and field dress or bring a cart or look at different options. Once you can narrow down the location and terrain of your hunt you can begin to ask more specific questions, either here or from locals or other forums. More specific questions will lead to other questions but the best way to learn is to get in the field.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it."
-Steven Wright

OP
sroc112

sroc112

FNG
Thanks for all the responses, helpful advice shared here plus a few that have reached out through PM.

I think I'll just need to study up from now until fall and then make the venture out on my own and trust my abilities to learn and go!

Honyock

WKR
Get out in the woods and have fun. You'll make mistakes, we all have. That's how you learn. Gutting a deer is not brain surgery, just be careful and try not to puncture the bladder or the stomach or you'll lose a little meat. Just keep pulling and cutting until everything is out. I gutted my first deer by myself with a dull pocketknife before there was an internet. It wasn't pretty but I got it done and so can you.

Rob960

Lil-Rokslider
I started in my early 20's. Basically read magazines and learned from experience and mistakes. Now with YouTube and the internet, research is easier and plus you have the ability in a lot of cases to have reference to your phone in the field.

DooleyVT

Lil-Rokslider
Northeast here as well. You’re bound to run into someone at work, school, church, grocery store or wherever you go that hunts. LOTS of people in the states mentioned hunt or have hunted and would be willing to lend a hand to help get you started. Tag along with someone if possible. I think there’s a mentor program here in Vermont through the F&W that may be able to give you a little direction. Remind yourself to be patient and enjoy the outdoors is really the most rewarding and important part. Welcome aboard and reach out if you’re anywhere near central VT.

There would be some dang entertaining hilarious stories of what most hunters encountered on their first big game kill. Especially those of us who were out there on our own and before the internet when info was
not as available. Many of us have come a long way.

EdP

WKR
I got started in hunting much later than most. Like you, no family member hunted so I had no mentor. I was in my mid 40's when I took my 1st deer and field dressed it by myself. Field dressing isn't that hard. You just need to be very careful with the initial cuts and not cut open the guts. Do the youtube thing and take your time. After that you can take it to a processor or break it down and butcher it yourself. The Meateater videos are pretty good for that.

Dragging a deer out of the woods can be a chore. Plan ahead by having a cart or sled available if your drag is going to be any distance from your vehicle. The other option is to break it down in the woods, put the pieces in game bags, and pack it out.

Good for you getting into hunting. Have fun. The only other advice I would give is to get out of New England. I left almost 50 years ago and have never regretted it.