Solo hunting anxiety

WCB

WKR
My anxiety more so comes from days potentially getting cut short due to weather or being able to get somewhere do to weather...not threats to myself on the hunt itself. I've done it long enough and had to baby sit clients in the mountains enough to know 99% of it is in our heads. Can bad stuff happen...yes. But my experience and confidence in decision making leaves little to question. Beyond that it is out of my control just like crossing the street or falling asleep every night.

I have seen too many physically capable guys tap out to the mental gymnastics of age and risk assessment because it is almost engrained in some people that at X age or once you have kids the risk goes up....I also know guys that because they mentally rely on others to be there and go on trips (even day hunts) no longer functionally hunt. They take their two trips a year and talk about wanting to do a lot of things but you know 100% it aint happening.

As far as kids I have a 2 and 4 year old. Me going hunting solo, living out of a pack, with little communication does not in any way lesson my responsibility or care for my kids. This is of course coupled with me not purposefully putting myself in bad situations when it is in my control. I DO NOT think solo hunting in itself is a bad situation or practice. There are hunts and times it can be but there is WAY too many variables to just throw a blanket that solo hunting is the problem.

My anxiety more so comes from days potentially getting cut short due to weather or being able to get somewhere do to weather...not threats to myself on the hunt itself. I've done it long enough and had to baby sit clients in the mountains enough to know 99% of it is in our heads. Can bad stuff happen...yes. But my experience and confidence in decision making leaves little to question. Beyond that it is out of my control just like crossing the street or falling asleep every night.

I have seen too many physically capable guys tap out to the mental gymnastics of age and risk assessment because it is almost engrained in some people that at X age or once you have kids the risk goes up....I also know guys that because they mentally rely on others to be there and go on trips (even day hunts) no longer functionally hunt. They take their two trips a year and talk about wanting to do a lot of things but you know 100% it aint happening.

As far as kids I have a 2 and 4 year old. Me going hunting solo, living out of a pack, with little communication does not in any way lesson my responsibility or care for my kids. This is of course coupled with me not purposefully putting myself in bad situations when it is in my control. I DO NOT think solo hunting in itself is a bad situation or practice. There are hunts and times it can be but there is WAY too many variables to just throw a blanket that solo hunting is the problem.
Well said

I've spent most of my adult life solo hunting. I find myself being more focused and very successful at filling tags when I'm solo. I've ran into mountain lions, black bears, and weirdos a few times here and there. Walked through the woods alone in the dark many times. Drove hours alone to hunt units in other states I have never stepped foot in.

But for whatever reason I've been having this unexplainable feeling of dread this year that something is going to happen. I just can't explain it. Usually I'm full of the excitement and anticipation of the adventure of it. I start thinking about predators, possibilities of getting hurt and not making it out. Maybe I'm just getting older sick of doing it alone, worried about my family. I just can't explain it. Does anyone else experience this??
This happened to me for the first time last week, my brother and father are my main hunting partners and they’re not able to hunt with me often anymore.

I hiked in about 1.5 miles and was paranoid to an extreme- given the spot I hunted, I had ran into a hermit camp earlier and felt like I was being watched.

I ended up leaving early and quitting that day trip- I wish I would’ve just calmed down and hunted elsewhere.

I also find that hunting solo just isn’t much of a joy for me currently, I like the camaraderie and shared discomfort of a hunt.

But I suppose I’ll have to adapt or hunting will seize to be my hobby. In the end, we can’t rely on peoples schedules lining up with ours-all we can do is take precautions, hunt in areas we’re comfortable in and accept that in all likelihood we won’t be statistics.

Maverick1

WKR
I been going at it solo basically since I got my drivers license. At this point it feels stranger to actually hunt with someone else vs alone.

I pretty much exclusively hint solo in the back country. Having a spot x satellite messaging device helps a lot with anxiety. Knowing I’m alone is great but having a means for help in an absolute emergency is awesome

Dwnw/theAltitudesickness

Lil-Rokslider
Getting a little older, and start to feel the same way about hunting solo. Kinda nervous, where I never have before. Traveling 12+ hours away. Hiking in, setting up camp, going in on roads never been on, etc. Not sure if it was the "ignorance is bliss" or "where there is a will, there is a way" mentality of it in the past.

I don't worry about it at all. Whatever will be will be. I certainly don't encourage complacency in myself. I love the solitude of solo hunts , other times I'm with mates. Carry an EPIRB, In Reach, and a flare . Most important thing is to think a little about how you go about things. Personally couldn't think of a better way to go. Thank god we don't have bears in Australia. I can't believe some of the stuff I see about bears and hunters in the US, hikers too. We do have 11 of the deadliest snakes in the world though. Ask most aussie hunters and that's what they'd be most afraid of. Everyone carries a snake bite kit. The 2nd deadliest in the world is as common as in the bush. Don't matter though. I do recall being "creeped out" as someone here put it. Happened to me and my partner on a trip once, we just felt uneasy about this place. But I swear to god , 3 years later my mom purchased a small farm 160 acres at the very same spot when she retired and left the city. I told her that this was the place I mentioned all that time ago, she laughed. I love it there now, and it has deer so it's even better. True story.

DillanF

FNG
Being prepared if something does go wrong helps. First aid kit, maybe a satellite phone, etc.

Beendare

WKR
Op, I had a similar thing happen to me…and frankly its a bit embarrassing.

I have never been afraid of heights. I have photos of myself on the edge of Half Dome in Yosemite- didn’t bother me.

Right about 2010, I did a archery sheep hunt in an open unit in the Alaska range. At one point on the hunt we tried to circle above the only legal ram we saw in 5 days.

The guide and I (with pack and bow on my back) climbed some cliffs that we though topped out in 30’. About 60’ in we knew we were screwed. The cliff was straight up and the hand holds were few and far between. There was no going back down Because we couldn’t see where to step.

we thought, “it can’t be much further” it was. After another 20’ we were in a precarious position free climbing 80’ up a cliff in the middle of nowhere. I started to think about my young kids at home and how stupid this was. Falling was death…better not to think about it.

Focusing on a solution, i told the guide I was going to side slip across as it was easier. i had no idea how far it was but just did as I’ve done in the past, just plug along and focus on the next step and handhold. He kept going up.

Long story short, about 35 minutes in, I got out right about the time I literally wouldn’t have been able to hold on any longer. My guide followed sideways a few minutes later. He said, thisis my last time guiding sheep hunts. What followed was one of the most intensely real nights I’ve ever shared with someone- a total stranger really.

My point of this long boring diatribe; a switch went off in my head after that day. I could no longer tolerate heights.

I hunt solo and feel safer than on the freeway at rush hour….but don’t get me on a steep shale slide……I will be sweating bullets. I will fight through it but its uncomfortable.

Its mental for sure….if you figure it out…let me know!

Last edited:

TrailDog

FNG
Solo hunter here....

Never leave home without my in-Reach and a trauma kit. Feels nice to know that the long-line ship is only a push of the button away.

jimh406

WKR
Fwiw, solo has little to do with safety. Many people get injured or killed by hunting partners. I’m not an anxious person, but ok, if you are.

A man has to know their limitations … then, respond accordingly. Maybe, you should just hunt in less extreme areas for less time until your confidence returns.

nam1975

Lil-Rokslider
My dad recently retired from hunting due to dementia. Our go to hunting spot has changed a lot too.
None of my friends or family hunt. It’s been a tough transition. I have a cousin who just got out of the service and will hopefully be my new hunting partner.
I want to be able to share the experience with someone else who gets it I guess.

For me the solo anxiety hit when I had 3 young kids at home, and I was out elk hunting and didn’t see or hear an elk for 3 days. I flat quit that hunt 2 days early but got a zoleo so I can check in with home daily. I also made sure to always have a charged up jump pack, tools, tire plug kit and air compressor on me as that eases a lot of the what ifs of my anxiety about what to do in case of vehicular issues. I still miss my wife and kids when the hunting gets slow but I know that I can send a quick message and get some encouragement from them and I don’t worry about coming back to a dead/disabled vehicle anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get anxious over the stupid things here in Michigan. Not worried about black bears, wolves, and cats. It’s my childhood fear of werewolves. It doesn’t help dogman is a thing here. I was all gung ho planning a backpack trip but now I’m having second thoughts from a recent encounter I read right in the area I was planning on going. Yes, I still believe in Bigfoot/werewolves/that kinda stuff. I think the “old world” was very different than what we know it now and we don’t truly know everything we think we do.

Out west I’d be nervous of grizzly bears and falling down a mountain. Before the wife and kids it wouldn’t be a big deal. But now I won’t take too many chances. Oh and werewolves there too.

Might just be age. My little 5 year old girl doesn't make it easy to leave either.
I think mentality just changes with age and different phases of life. I used to work out of town all year, and got sick of leaving my family, and I was also always fearless, now I tend to consider hazards… still in the same basic line of work, but I do consider safety more and respect the ocean more as I’ve become older with a family that counts on me staying alive.

I have always hunted solo and preferred it, and still do, and have always considered the woods a very safe place to hang out, but I can relate in other ways… some things I thought nothing of or took for granted get some consideration these days, I think when you’re young, dying just isn’t a consideration… as we get older, we gain more to live for and also experience death around us, and it all just makes you more cautious and less bulletproof feeling.

robtattoo

WKR
I did 17 days solo in Wyoming this year & I'll admit, I had the same nerves this time. One thing I did that helped my head was constantly reminding myself (while looking up mountains or down into deadfall nightmare holes) that I don't have to get 'there' but I do have to get 'back'
It sort of helped, giving myself a mental way out.