Solo hunting anxiety

grfox92

WKR
Since moving to Wyoming the majority of my hunting is in thick grizzly country. That being said I don't hunt solo much anymore.
While there are non grizzly areas I can hunt I prefer to hunt the grizzly areas.

I have a really good hunting partner who like me, is self employed and that gives us the ability to set a schedule and both be available when we agree to hunt.

This year I finally got a Zoleo with a 250 message a month plan. I am able to be in direct contact with my wife all day every day constantly checking in and giving updates which eases her mind when we are out there and also eases my mind.

I would say 100% of my anxiety about hunting had to do with something happening to me and leaving my wife and kids high and dry. The Zoleo gives me total peace of mind in that regard. The hunting partner gives me peace of mind about bears.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

Wrench

WKR
I've slowed down and analyze the situation, weigh the potentials and always plan my exit strategy.

I spend 3 weeks to a month solo every year. I have had the conversation with myself about, "not wanting to give up who I love for what I love."

When I told my wife about my reflection she told me I was becoming a pussy...jokingly....kind of.

She reminded me that she's in love with who I am and my never quit love of the mountains is part of that. The annual full freezer and "beef free since 93" motto at our place certainly builds some pressure.

akcabin

Lil-Rokslider
I had a little apprehension this year for the first time. I was out moose hunting at the cabin and showed another guy a stand n headed back in the cabin. I had to walk through 4' devils clubs full of bear tunnels. I can be walking through and find open tunnels under the big leaves. I had my rifle. I don't carry a sidearm or spray. And I don't carry with 1 in the chamber. And don't have a phone that works. For the first time I can remember, I had some apprehension walking through the bush. It's remote so no outside help for at least a day.
I was dropped off alone a couple weeks earlier and spent a few days alone opening up the camp n doing chores and hunting. And as usual enjoyed the solstice that being out by myself at the cabin before a friend flew out n hunted a few days. It was a weird feeling.
I often find that I have no idea where I'm at while hunting n give myself a little moment. But never had the eeby beebies. Maybe it's an age thing. And a worn out body doesn't help the situation out.
Now get those silly thoughts out of your mind n get out into the bush, bye yourself

When I was young i was ten feet tall, bullet proof, and could whip my weight in wildcats. You just don’t actually believe the worst can happen to you. Some will say age but I think experience that comes with age is the real modifier. You see some things you hear some things and it dawns on you. “My precious little ass could suddenly cease to exist!! “. An even more sobering thought when you have kids or someone who really can’t do without you.

I still go into camp two days before everyone else to set up. so spend a couple nights alone in the wilderness each year. I’ll admit I feel a little edgier when alone and I’m careful about everything.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
A little anxiety when going into grizzly country solo, but nothing that has caused too much hesitation.

I did have some anxiety going into my sheep hunt this year though. It was a once in a lifetime hunt for me and I would be lying if I didn’t feel a lot of pressure. Starting the hunt off by spending the first three days on a gravel bar due to smoke didn’t help.

The Guide

WKR
I hunt and fish alone quite often. Like 5 times a month minimum often in places with no cell phone service. This January I broke my leg, at home, on my porch, and it sucked and was unnerving how being immobilized, in pain, and getting shocky in the cold was. I have added a couple things to my pack now.

1. InReach Mini2. Not only piece of mind but I can take it off on my taxes since I can use it for business purposes when I don't have cellular service.

2. SOL Excape emergency bivy sack. I was surprised how cold I got and how fast I got cold when I broke my leg. I know if I had done it in the back country and not had service I would have been in a tough position. This gives me a little bit of ability to keep some of my heat in my body.

3. Take trekking poles everywhere outdoors. If you take a spill and get injured and can not use a leg, you need something to help you move your body to a better position or situation.

Jay

Screenshot_20230127_100559_Gallery.jpg

Yeah I have it mainly in the forms of being an ethical sportsman. I have learned from being stupid in the roadless areas to hunt closer to a road when weather gets crappy and I’m tired. I’ve been watching a bull all summer and the last 3 nights struggling with not going after him, but know it’s in my best interest with the seasonally warm temps and terrain not to kill him as I couldn’t get him out in a day. (Not even terrain where Outfitters would pack an elk out with stock).

My hunting buddies and I have all completely weird schedules so rifle elk season never aligns with our availability.

Great thread, nice to hear we all struggle with it. Years ago I burned myself out so bad that I hated, yes hated hunting. Solo archery hunting made long days away from the family with not much success. I got to wrapped up in the Keep Hammering mindset🙄. I was young and dumb! I love hunting again. I have learned that I can rarely archery hunt or I will burn myself out with the constant shooting, tuning, and days afield. I don't put in for areas that are too close to home, or I will scout and scout until I am miserable. I have to fight the urge to let it consume me. I have a little more balance, including having God in my life. I don't really solo hunt anymore, although I suppose I would if that were my only choice. My wife usually comes. I am loving it more than ever, and not ironically I am having better success. Let yourself feel the hunger, don't over due it. Take a little break, it is much better than burning out. Get a baby sitter and take the wife. Friends will often flake out.

Many of us have been there. Somethings are much more important than hunting. With that said, hunting season is short, make the most of it. If it is not fun, change something up. Good luck, and I know you will figure it out.

I've spent most of my adult life solo hunting. I find myself being more focused and very successful at filling tags when I'm solo. I've ran into mountain lions, black bears, and weirdos a few times here and there. Walked through the woods alone in the dark many times. Drove hours alone to hunt units in other states I have never stepped foot in.

But for whatever reason I've been having this unexplainable feeling of dread this year that something is going to happen. I just can't explain it. Usually I'm full of the excitement and anticipation of the adventure of it. I start thinking about predators, possibilities of getting hurt and not making it out. Maybe I'm just getting older sick of doing it alone, worried about my family. I just can't explain it. Does anyone else experience this??
Yes, body isn't as tough and I'm having a harder time getting into shape. A injury is what scary.

I find that recently I am really not looking forward to dying. Perhaps it's the death of a loved one that has me contemplating my mortality, perhaps it's having a young family fully in the throes of a busy and active lifestyle. I can calmly rule out a bunch of risky activities because it's just too dangerous--too much to lose. I won't go skydiving, for example. Doesn't hit some cost benefit ratio I need. I pause thinking about getting into a bush plane, too. Hell I'm even thinking about it before I drop a spoon of sugar into my coffee every morning. Maybe these feelings will subside once my kids are out of the house and gainfully employed?

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Certainly all struggle with it! I’m at about 15 days solo in and out throughout the last month. For me I still feel confident about doing it once I’m out there, but before I go I’m kind of a nervous wreck. I figured out this year that since I’ve had a good hunting partner the last couple years that most of the time I don’t enjoy solo as much as I used to. I’ve also really ramped up my basecamp/road camp situation the last couple years and I feel like that has helped add some comfort and therefore a sense of security and place to unwind. I backpacked into a spot on the opening of rifle deer by myself for 3 days this year, had rain, snow, was socked in a lot and when I got out I had a basecamp with real food, comfortable bed, service, etc and that definitely put my mind more at ease. I could get warm, talk to folks on the phone, get some good rest and hit it hard again. In the past when I didn’t have a decent basecamp, you’d find me sometimes chucking all my stuff in the pickup and heading towards home. Great topic.

OP
T
Certainly all struggle with it! I’m at about 15 days solo in and out throughout the last month. For me I still feel confident about doing it once I’m out there, but before I go I’m kind of a nervous wreck. I figured out this year that since I’ve had a good hunting partner the last couple years that most of the time I don’t enjoy solo as much as I used to. I’ve also really ramped up my basecamp/road camp situation the last couple years and I feel like that has helped add some comfort and therefore a sense of security and place to unwind. I backpacked into a spot on the opening of rifle deer by myself for 3 days this year, had rain, snow, was socked in a lot and when I got out I had a basecamp with real food, comfortable bed, service, etc and that definitely put my mind more at ease. I could get warm, talk to folks on the phone, get some good rest and hit it hard again. In the past when I didn’t have a decent basecamp, you’d find me sometimes chucking all my stuff in the pickup and heading towards home. Great
Having a Basecamp with all the extra comforts of home Is the best

ODB

WKR
Yep. I think it comes with aging, but not everyone is like that I suppose.

It's never been at the level of thinking something bad will happen though.

Yup.

I know this feeling, but I temper it with “what am I going to do? Sit in a chair and do nothing for the rest of my life?”

Having a supportive spouse and kid helps.

Jimmy

Lil-Rokslider
Something similar happens to me too. Its funny how most of us are far more likely to die in a car accident than die hunting, but we don't feel that sense of worry or anxiety when we get in the car.

Something about being miles into the wild, and darkness is coming can make the hairs on your neck stand up.

Op I can relate. Here lately I spend way more time with my daughter and it makes it harder to be gone for those hunts because I know the amount of time I will have with her in the future will be less and less as she ages and starts to find her own path. But I am lucky that she demands to still hunt and fish with me and those are memories I will never forget.

Take a deep breathe and focus on why you hunt. You will find peace if you can do that I think.

I always hear the car crash comparison. A poorly vetted Google search tells us that in the US there are 1.37 deaths per 100 million miles of vehicle travel. I gotta think backcountry hunting is at least as risky as that.