Which Bullets to use? ELD-m "Murder bullets" for everything?

MattB

WKR
Giraffes are not 4 feet through the chest, they’re not 3 feet through the chest. They are about 2 feet through the chest. Just like with deer, elk, moose, goats, etc- African animals are widely exaggerated as to their dimensions.

Thats bit true. There are 6mm bullets that will penetrate 4 feet of tissue. In any case- there is not arrow that is more “lethal” than just about any caliber big game bullet. The hitting that arrows kill different, or they are different is nonsense.

A 6mm 115gr DTAC will penetrate both lungs of a giraffe from nearly in legitimate angle- and might actually exit on a broadside shot.

Penetration is a consideration for all animals. My point was there is no need to exaggerate the size or depth of them not make it some mythical creature.
I wish Ryan the best, but I hope he doesn’t figure out the hard way why some countries/provinces/outfitter have 3 different minimum caliber/energy requirements for 3 species that all weigh ~2,000# - eland, giraffe, and cape buffalo. While they have similar weights, they are not similarly dimensioned and giraffe and cape buffalo have physical attributes which make penetration more challenging.

I say that based on feedback from a friend who has been a PH in Africa for pushing 30 years. For his bowhunters, he recommends the same broadhead design and arrow weight for giraffe as he does for cape buffalo (800-1,000 grs). Not the case for eland (which actually do top out at just over 2’ wide), for which the same arrows hunters use for smaller plains game work fine (400-500 gr).

Jt89

FNG
Good God Almighty I struggle with the endless banter back and forth about the relevance of a particular calibre or headstamp killing a 4 foot wide giraffe. The actual number of members of this forum who can and or will go and shoot a giraffe to see exactly what it takes for one to die must be so low, @Ryan Avery could count them with the holes in his crocs. How many times do we need to see how violently a .223 TMK behaves inside a bear, bull moose, elephant seal/whatever else for it to sink into our thick skulls that animals really aren't armour plated?

I've seen a possum take 5 shots to the body with a .22lr and not fall out of a pine tree. But a .45-70 got one down. Must be the right gun for the job - that sumbitch was dead, gutted and fur plucked all in one. Couldn't get a follow up shot on his buddy though :(

I wish Ryan the best, but I hope he doesn’t figure out the hard way why some countries/provinces/outfitter have 3 different minimum caliber/energy requirements for 3 species that all weigh ~2,000# - eland, giraffe, and cape buffalo. While they have similar weights, they are not similarly dimensioned and giraffe and cape buffalo have physical attributes which make penetration more challenging.

I say that based on feedback from a friend who has been a PH in Africa for pushing 30 years. For his bowhunters, he recommends the same broadhead design and arrow weight for giraffe as he does for cape buffalo (800-1,000 grs). Not the case for eland (which actually do top out at just over 2’ wide), for which the same arrows hunters use for smaller plains game work fine (400-500 gr).
How dare you disrupt the echo chamber..