When does everyone think is the best time to sell/buy vehicles?

Lumped all together.......most likely not. In general, yes, things break down over time. But some just seem to go and go and go for decades. I've been blessed and fortunate I guess.

I don't really fall into the "mileage" thing though. The vehicles are either in good running shape or they aren't. But ya, if they start nickel and diming you constantly with repairs.....it might be time to let them go.

I'll admit it.......I've been looking at Tundra's.......but not new ones. Mostly 2015 and prior. But I definitely don't get rid of what I already have (with any kind of gear)......until I've had a chance to figure out whether I'm going to fully like the newer items. I have a ton of stuff that's 30-40+ years old that I still use all the time. Because I haven't found anything that works better to replace those items with. I'm pretty picky.;)
The gen 2-2.5 Tundras with the 5.7 are beasts, it is damn tough motor. Apparently, it is listed as a 500K-1 million mile rated motor by Toyota. I love my '12, other than the thirsty gas mileage. They are easy to work on, and I don't question the reliability on long trips, just do a good pre-game and be proactive when they need some TLC. I would be cautious with the 4.7, it is an excellent motor, but it is an interference motor, so if the belt breaks, the motor is toast. That said, my LX470 had the 4.7, just change the belt, water pump and seals every 80k miles and they run a LOOOONG time. The 5.7 has a timing chain, so it's a non-issue. I would look at a '14 or newer though, few things I didn't know when I bought my '12, namely, that '14 and newer had the option for a 38 gallon fuel tank, the older ones only have a 26 gallon tank.

Last edited:

z987k

WKR
The time to sell has more to do with the market than the inherent value of the vehicle and it's age/miles.

The market is softening. I drove by the Ford dealer the other day and they were offering 0% and $5k off all their leftover 2022s.
The msrp difference between 2022 and 23 is drastic.

Wolf88

FNG
I am curious what the majority of people do for there vehicle situation. New vehicle every couple years? Drive them until they loose all value and are worn out?

I currently have a 2018 f150 with 140,000 km on it. I paid cash for it 3 years ago. Now I am starting to wonder when I should sell it because I honestly can’t see myself driving it until it’s completely worn out and no value to sell. Vehicles seem to rust out at around 200,000km where I live so it doesn’t take long for them to lose value quick. New trucks also seem priced very high now and Interest rates are also up there. What has everyone found to be the best case for vehicles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It costs about 3000-5000 to have reliable transportation per year.

Do the math.

For personal vehicles, I drive them until they aren’t worth maintaining. For work trucks, I drive them until they no longer look suitable representing my business.

Valsport

WKR
For personal vehicles, I drive them until they aren’t worth maintaining. For work trucks, I drive them until they no longer look suitable representing my business.
Agree with the approach, I buy 'em a couple years old and drive till they fall apart.

Beendare

WKR
I am curious what the majority of people do for there vehicle situation. New vehicle every couple years? Drive them until they loose all value and are worn out?

I currently have a 2018 f150 with 140,000 km on it. I paid cash for it 3 years ago. Now I am starting to wonder when I should sell it because I honestly can’t see myself driving it until it’s completely worn out and no value to sell. Vehicles seem to rust out at around 200,000km where I live so it doesn’t take long for them to lose value quick. New trucks also seem priced very high now and Interest rates are also up there. What has everyone found to be the best case for vehicles?

No one size fits all answer.
Generally, the longer you own it maxes out the value.

Do you own a business? (Everyone should)
It changes the equation when you can write off a vehicle through your business. I typically hold mine 6-7 years.

dtrkyman

WKR
Drive until the wheels fall off, or I have money leaking out my arse, so I drive em a while!

We buy vehicles through my wife's business, not often and we pay cash, simplifies matters for sure!

ljaq516

FNG
I’m usually a drive it till the wheels fall off. However if there’s a good deal that makes sense financially, then I would jump on it. Drove a 4Runner from high school till college. Drove it 360k miles and probably could’ve done more. But I was a sucker for a good deal. Traded it in for a cash for clunkers deal. My biggest regret of my car buying life. But I got $7000 for it, conditionally, if I bought a hybrid. Great little car if you have to drive a lot. Saved me a ton of money. But longed to get back in a truck and the Prius held its value really well and got into a Tundra. In this case, the wheels did fall off lol. Got into a bad wreck, but insurance money helped me into another 4Runner which I intended to keep forever. Then pandemic hit and everyone wanted a Toyota truck/suv lol. Have a friend that works for Toyota and got my a killer deal on a Tacoma that I couldn’t pass up. Traded in the 4Runner for stupid amounts of money. Now I’m in a Tacoma till the wheels fall off…or till I find a great deal.

TL:DR - I’ll drive it till it dies, unless I come across a killer deal.

Beanx033

FNG
Depends. My wife's vehicles get a lot more love because that's what we drive with the kids. I run my vehicles until they die. I don't mind if i get stranded somewhere but do everything in my power to prevent that when we're with the kids.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
In the early days of Covid, car sales sank. Toyota had a really good deal on Tacomas- a rarity. I looked up my trade in on my 2012 Tacoma and it was pretty good.

Went on the site, “built” my new Tacoma and was going to call the dealership the next day. I got a slap of reality that night and decided, despite the good deal and trade in, that trading in a perfectly good truck with 78000 miles wasn’t a good idea.

Won’t lie, the temptation was high!

Hnthrdr

WKR
2003 Chevy Tahoe here. 325,000 miles on it right now with original engine and transmission. Like what was said above, it will get a new engine when the time comes. I have some rust to fix but I know the history of this vehicle and that goes a long way for me.

One thing I don’t like about the new ones are all the fancy drive modes that take control away from the driver and cut power. My vehicle does what I tell it to do and I won’t buy one that wont.
Man, I was backing out of the garage with the wife’s new jeep wrangler and it locked up cause it thought I was too close to a side… I about had a heart attack I thought I had wrecked my garage… stupid freaking computer haha

prm

WKR
The time to sell has more to do with the market than the inherent value of the vehicle and it's age/miles.

The market is softening. I drove by the Ford dealer the other day and they were offering 0% and $5k off all their leftover 2022s.
The msrp difference between 2022 and 23 is drastic.
My 2015 F150 had 179k on it and I was considering getting something newer. Ended up with a '22 F150. They took 8k off without me even asking and offered a 2.9%. I think they did have very short term 0%.

I always buy used, and the thought of a vehicle payment makes me want to puke. I put a couple hundred dollars into a separate account every month (like a payment) for when large repairs are needed. Theres no panic/worry when something does happen.
I actually do something similar. I don't worry about repairs, that comes out of my normal budget. But rather than have a truck payment I pay myself $250/mo into just a normal savings account. When I feel like buying a new to me used truck, whatever is in that account plus what I can sell my current truck for is my budget.

Man, I was backing out of the garage with the wife’s new jeep wrangler and it locked up cause it thought I was too close to a side… I about had a heart attack I thought I had wrecked my garage… stupid freaking computer haha
I know my wife has a new Subaru Ascent and I had a trailer on it this weekend and was backing up. It kept slamming on the brakes cause I couldn’t figure out how to turn off the reverse collision thing lol

Neckbone

Lil-Rokslider
If you want a new vehicle and can afford it, then get it. Usually the most financial sound decision is to take care of the one you have and drive it for a long long time.

2007 Tacoma with 302k miles, not a damn thing wrong with it. I wouldnt hesitate to drive it cross country today.

140,000km (~87k miles) isn't a lot to me, so I'd keep driving it. If you're concerned about rust you can do preventive measures to slow rust. If you're handy, you can even repair it. Otherwise, save your pennies, sell your truck and accept the current new/used vehicle pricing. It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. When I lived in WI, I drove a 2005 2500HD Duramax with 349k miles when I sold it to my neighbor down the road. That truck had only ever received basic maintenance (shocks, fuel filter, brakes, oil changes, serpentine belt). The one exception are the injectors, which was a truck generation problem, not that truck itself.