When does everyone think is the best time to sell/buy vehicles?

Elite

WKR
I am curious what the majority of people do for there vehicle situation. New vehicle every couple years? Drive them until they loose all value and are worn out?

I currently have a 2018 f150 with 140,000 km on it. I paid cash for it 3 years ago. Now I am starting to wonder when I should sell it because I honestly can’t see myself driving it until it’s completely worn out and no value to sell. Vehicles seem to rust out at around 200,000km where I live so it doesn’t take long for them to lose value quick. New trucks also seem priced very high now and Interest rates are also up there. What has everyone found to be the best case for vehicles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've found a liking for used, manual, Japanese brand vehicles. My Tacoma is being built out and will get a performance motor build when needed. 241k and zero issues at all. It gets driven rather hard, way too much time on the rev limiter in the snow, and never skips a beat.
The daily is a 2005 Forester with 233k. Very reliable, capable little car that goes places some wouldn't want to take a stock pickup. Gets 28 mpg+ and didn't cost me much.
Not everyone wants to work on their own stuff. It's a hobby for me, so I'd rather spend a little time doing maintenance and repairs than sell my financial future for a new vehicle. Lots of hunting can be done in place of a $600 monthly payment.
New vehicles don't hold much appeal to me. Compare a new Tacoma to the 07 I drive: sedan engine, same frame and suspension, nearly the same trans, same t case, nicer interior, slightly better but still inadequate rear axle. Needs all the same mods and costs 3x what mine did? Hard pass. New vehicles are not built any better than the recent previous generations. Just a fancy interior and obscene price tag. The money spent on the newer ride is better spent on smart maintenance and increased vehicle capability. Seeing 50k trucks on the mountain that can't go anywhere my Forester can't always makes me chuckle a bit.
A little knowledge and smart maintenance will let a good vehicle make 300k easy, and a motor swap isn't that big of a job at that point.
To use this method it's important to be objective and do some research. Most vehicles have a serious achilles heel that makes them worth avoiding. Going this route saves me tons of money, forces me to know my vehicles and be able to solve whatever goes wrong, and I end up two vehicles that are each ideal in their use.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

2003 Chevy Tahoe here. 325,000 miles on it right now with original engine and transmission. Like what was said above, it will get a new engine when the time comes. I have some rust to fix but I know the history of this vehicle and that goes a long way for me.

One thing I don’t like about the new ones are all the fancy drive modes that take control away from the driver and cut power. My vehicle does what I tell it to do and I won’t buy one that wont.

Wheels

WKR
I tried to buy a new truck the other day, the used vehicle trade in values have really gone down in the last few months. The new truck MSRP prices have gone up about 20% in the last 3 years, so there is a widening gap between your trade in and the new truck you want to buy.
The dealership wanted close to $25,000 trade difference between my 2021 F150 and their 2023 Chevrolet 1500, I told them I'll pass.

Buy Toyotas or Lexus at about 80k for the certified extended warranty. Drive them to about 250k, or longer if they are still running well. Work on them myself. My 10 year old $25k Tundra with $7k worth of mods is as capable as any new vehicle, for 1/3 the cost, and paid cash. Last one was a LX470 (Lexus version of the 100 series Landcruiser), paid $15k for an $80k vehicle, every bit as capable as a new one, still sold it for $6k at 265k miles. Wife's Lexus (paid $15k for a $50k vehicle at 100k miles) just hit 200k miles, runs great, no point buying something newer that the kids will just trash anyway. Save money monthly in a separate account for the time it comes to replace them, or any repairs needed. Nice feeling knowing that no matter what happens with the economy or financially, I own our vehicles, not the bank. Also way less electronic stuff to break, that I can't repair myself. Also, doing my own maintenance and repairs means I know the vehicles well, and saves an obscene amount of money in the long run. Daily is a company vehicle, so it takes me 10+ years to put 100k miles on my truck. Also, I care way less if I scratch or dent a vehicle that I don't have a payment on.

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
It just depends on if I like the vehicle and it fits the purpose that I have it for. If the answer is "no" to either of those, then it's time to get rid of them. If I like them, and they fit a purpose well......I keep them. Right now I have three vehicles that all run well and fill distinct purposes, and the average age of the three is 26 years. I'll keep using them as long as they keep doing what I expect out of them. My wife prefers driving newer vehicles, but she pays for them.

Yoder

WKR
I buy used and run everything until it dies. I've made due without a truck for 4 years now. I know that may not be an option for some of you but you would be surprised what you can do with a utility trailer and a car.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Time is my most valuable commodity at this point so I won't risk being broken down on the way to a hunt or other activity by running old vehicles anymore. I used to love old Toyota trucks and Jeeps but I would rather have a new truck that I can rely on. Same for the vehicle my wife drives. I won't risk her breaking down if I can help it.

I ran my 2006 F350 diesel to 270k miles and I paid cash for a new one in 2018. I'll drive that one until I feel there is risk of it breaking down on a trip and swap it out for a new truck. I don't have a problem buying one that's a couple years old if the price is right and the mileage is low enough.

My wife drove her 2014 Honda Pilot until it was around 150k and she got into hiking so I bought her a new Ford Ranger in 2019 and she loves it. I pay payments on her truck only because they were offering 0%.

For me it is every 5 years unless there is something odd going on with the truck market or anytime after 4.5 years if there are great incentives. I buy new trucks as I am self employed and can get a special depreciation deduction. I am a single guy with one vehicle and zero desire to do repairs in my garage so
I prefer newer vehicles. I am over do right now to trade but unwilling to enter into this crazy truck market right now. My 2017 with 78k on it looks brand new and not giving me any issues so I hope to find the truck market better for buyers in the next year. If not .I will just have to bite the bullet.

TSAMP

WKR
Same as above. For me it's about reliability. If I don't trust the vehicle it's time to move on.
As far as timing to purchase. I had always heard right before the new year, or new models launch. Although with inventory issues like they are, might not be so true as excess inventory with trucks seem to be a thing of the past.

I always try to anticipate the failure and be ahead of the curve. The best tactic in negotiating anything is being able to walk, or drive away if the details don't suit you. Don't wait until it breaks. Once you NEED the vehicle you'll be SOL.

Gwchem

Lil-Rokslider
Same as above. For me it's about reliability. If I don't trust the vehicle it's time to move on.
As far as timing to purchase. I had always heard right before the new year, or new models launch. Although with inventory issues like they are, might not be so true as excess inventory with trucks seem to be a thing of the past.

I always try to anticipate the failure and be ahead of the curve. The best tactic in negotiating anything is being able to walk, or drive away if the details don't suit you. Don't wait until it breaks. Once you NEED the vehicle you'll be SOL.
This is where I'm at right now. I've got 105k on my truck, but it's been in the shop all winter.

It's my truck, but it's also our family road trip car, and we do a ton of weekend trips. Just can't trust it to not have issues, so it's getting the axe.

wyosteve

WKR
I've bought my last 3 or 4 vehicles at the end of March. Dodge always had great incentive programs then, but not sure if that still holds true. Historically, every three years seemed to get the best deals, but a lot depends on how many miles you drive as well.

Your F150 has an aluminum body so it won't rust.
The frame and suspension components are the only thing that you need to monitor for corrosion.
I'd keep it if it's reliable.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Time is my most valuable commodity at this point so I won't risk being broken down on the way to a hunt or other activity by running old vehicles anymore.
I have buddies that have newer trucks and just about every one of them has had at least one breakdown in the last two years. And some of them seem to have their trucks in the shop more than they're driving them. They're under warranty, but that's still a problem. I don't trust the exponential load of electronics that are on the newer vehicles these days. It's gotten ridiculous. I saw this quote last year during the chip shortage......"According to estimates, the average modern car has between 1,400 and 1,500 semiconductor chips. Some have as many as 3,000." That's crazy.

That's why I keep the vehicles I have........I trust them. I don't trust these newer ones. Seems as though "everything" made today is made to break down and be replaced, instead of lasting for a good long time.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I have buddies that have newer trucks and just about every one of them has had at least one breakdown in the last two years. And some of them seem to have their trucks in the shop more than they're driving them. They're under warranty, but that's still a problem. I don't trust the exponential load of electronics that are on the newer vehicles these days. It's gotten ridiculous. I saw this quote last year during the chip shortage......"According to estimates, the average modern car has between 1,400 and 1,500 semiconductor chips. Some have as many as 3,000." That's crazy.

That's why I keep the vehicles I have........I trust them. I don't trust these newer ones. Seems as though "everything" made today is made to break down and be replaced, instead of lasting for a good long time.
I don't believe data would tell us old vehicles with high mileage have fewer problems than new, low-mileage vehicles.

It would be very hard to convince me that somehow a vehicle with 200k or more miles will break down less than a vehicle under 100k miles.

I think it's just something people tell themselves when they see the ridiculous prices for new vehicles. And I do agree that the prices are crazy.

I don't believe data would tell us old vehicles with high mileage have fewer problems than new, low-mileage vehicles.

It would be very hard to convince me that somehow a vehicle with 200k or more miles will break down less than a vehicle under 100k miles.
I think it's just something people tell themselves when they see the ridiculous prices for new vehicles. And I do agree that the prices are crazy.
If someone takes care of the issues before they happen, then yes you could easily say older high mileage vehicles are more reliable. If a fuel pump typically goes out at 150,000, change it at 125,000. My Tahoe has 325,000 on it and in the last two years it has made a Yellowstone trip, two trips to Colorado pulling ATVs and two trips to NW Nebraska, all from Arkansas. No issues whatsoever. But I replace items that typically fail before they need it.

But I do understand what you are saying

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Lumped all together.......most likely not. In general, yes, things break down over time. But some just seem to go and go and go for decades. I've been blessed and fortunate I guess.

I don't really fall into the "mileage" thing though. The vehicles are either in good running shape or they aren't. But ya, if they start nickel and diming you constantly with repairs.....it might be time to let them go.

I'll admit it.......I've been looking at Tundra's.......but not new ones. Mostly 2015 and prior. But I definitely don't get rid of what I already have (with any kind of gear)......until I've had a chance to figure out whether I'm going to fully like the newer items. I have a ton of stuff that's 30-40+ years old that I still use all the time. Because I haven't found anything that works better to replace those items with. I'm pretty picky.;)

Last edited: