Votes: 27 9.2%
  • Kelty

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Alps

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Badlands

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I’m a big fan of the Hill People Gear decker frame, it’s very comfortable. Used it for elk season with 2-3 days worth of gear and packed out a bull with no issues.

sndmn11

WKR
I just think it’s dishonest to give people pack advice when they have little to no experience using it in the way the OP asked

Here's a fall.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I just think it’s dishonest to give people pack advice when they have little to no experience using it in the way the OP asked
Dishonest? I think that’s a little strong. I think any of the big pack makers will handle a half a deer, an elk cape, and 2 front shoulders (in different loads).

I’m playing with the idea of going to a lighter setup, I currently run kifaru. I’m not sure it’s worth the weight penalty. I’d like to test out a lighter weight seek outside pack to see the advantages and disadvantages of a lighter weight system. I put tons of miles on my pack before it’s time to start hauling meat. Can I save a few pounds for a couple hundred miles?

coyote_out

Lil-Rokslider
My pack journey went like this:
Badlands, Kelty, Osprey, Kifaru, mystery ranch, Kifaru. I don’t know if I really have any interest in changing from Kifaru now. I have a Stryker XL, Hoodlum, and a Highcamp, 26 and a 24” frame. It seams to cover everything I need and I know I don’t want to go back down the ladder. People have always “been getting it done with less” but I bet if you hand them a better pack they wouldn’t pass it up. It just depends on what is important to you at that point in your life, and everyone is different.

I have used a bunch of different packs, the last couple years I had it pretty well narrowed down to exo and kifaru for me, and will give the edge to exo, every gen has been great, and my current is a k2 with a k3 belt, and it does well with a little over 100# is the most I have had in it, and is the most comfortable pack in hunting mode.

My kifaru might feel a little more stable with really heavy loads, the heaviest I have packed in it was 113# just shy of 6 miles. It’s not as comfortable in hunting mode, and it seems to trap brush between my back and lumbar pad more than other packs… get some salmonberry debris and some sweat, it becomes a problem by the time you address it, and then it doesn’t want to heal if hunting every day

I’m excited about getting a new k4, I think it will be a tie breaker… I will know soon

Dishonest? I think that’s a little strong. I think any of the big pack makers will handle a half a deer, an elk cape, and 2 front shoulders (in different loads).

I’m playing with the idea of going to a lighter setup, I currently run kifaru. I’m not sure it’s worth the weight penalty. I’d like to test out a lighter weight seek outside pack to see the advantages and disadvantages of a lighter weight system. I put tons of miles on my pack before it’s time to start hauling meat. Can I save a few pounds for a couple hundred miles?
John, I think you’ll really like the SO frame. The new bags are great too. It’s a solid choice and it’s a very comfortable pack. I didn’t get mine until after Christmas. So, I’ve not put a whole deer in it yet. But, I have carried around 65-70 pounds in it and have zero complaints. It’s a great system.

My favorite pack frame ever is the Kifaru tactical. I truly love that frame. It is heavier than my lite and my old hunter frames. But, it is so comfortable unloaded and loaded. It’s my pick. The SO is a close second. I much prefer it over the lite frame.

One way I cut the weight on the kifaru tactical was a custom bag by pods 8. No internal pockets, no bladder sleeve, not a lot of molle webbing. So, the bag is super light in comparison. I’m guessing there isn’t a pound difference in the SO peregrine kit and the tactical with this bag.

I don’t back country hunt with any pack. I walk. Lots of times double digit miles. And, when I kill a deer it cones out in one trip. Bone in on that tactical.

However, I do a lot of trout fishing in the spring. I often carry the bank. It’s loaded with a lot of comfortable amenities. I usually go 4-5 miles deep, set up camp and go from there. I only use the tactical frame for that. Due to its comfort when heavy.

Kifaru muskeg has been what I’ve run the last 4 years, been really impressed with it, I upgraded from a badlands so it felt like a night and day difference. Been eyeing the the 44 mag though, and the stone glaciers have peaked my interest lately might considering one of those for my next pack.

Just curious of your pack preference.

Mainly looking for Western hunters packing in camp, packing out elk and/or deer quarters.

Not EDC, or general hiking bags.
It's not bad to have a few different packs. One big one and one smaller. I run the EXO k3 4800 and Kifaru reckoning 7500. I have unlimited options with those and have zero regrets. They both are very durable and have been amazing packs.

nobody

WKR
I’ve hopscotched across the board and up the $$$ ladder slowly, with the majority of my changes coming in the last 5 years.

Used a Camouflage Camelback for years when I was younger. Early season road hunting only.

Moved to a Voodoo Tactical Military-Style Ruck for one season, the thing sucked. No body or frame, it hurt bad.

Badlands Superday for a couple years. Again, no backcountry stuff and no meat hauled. Never had an issue with the build quality or anything, actually really liked that little bag. Decided to upgrade after a Limited Entry elk tag in 2019. Had to throw quarters over the shoulder and just shuttle them out old school. Decided there had to be a better way.

Purchased a SG Avail 2200 and an X curve frame. Used for one season, ended up selling because we had to pay some serious medical bills. Never loved the x curve frame or how it fit, but that pack sold me on quality and lightweight.

Picked up a Killik (Sportsmans warehouse) K2800 on my old employee discount. Liked the pack and how it carried, and the price was nice. Hunting partner and I tried to pack out half a bone in 4 point buck each plus camp and my frame broke, along with some straps, on the hike out. It was heavy, confirmed 105 lb pack (weighed at the Jeep). Warrantied for a full refund from sportsmans.

Went to mystery ranch and it was ok, until I got weight in it. Used it for a season and a half and dumped it as fast as possible.

Picked up another SG mid-last season, a 40/56 on an X curve frame sheet with straight stays. Game changer. Packed out 2 animals plus a few multi and overnight trips. Selling the bag because I switched to a Sky 5900 bag, better suited to my use case.

In the process, I’ve learned that a quality pack is a no brainer. Sore shoulders and broken frames and legs falling asleep aren’t worth a couple hundred dollar savings.

Save lives, buy good packs.

uglymud

FNG
Classified Approved
Haven't packed any animals in it yet, but the Stone Glacier X-Curve frame is leaps and bounds better than my old coleman or jansport aluminum external frame with moderate loads(~50lbs)

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

AKEK

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
I know AKEK is a newer player on the market but for those looking for a new pack defiantly consider this as one of your options!

TheTone

WKR
I’ve got multiple mystery ranch packs; crew cab, 6500 and a bighorn. Wife has a pop up. I’ve got a SG avail I use for work and some hikes. Been using an exo 4800 the most the past couple years and very happy with it. I think all the packs I have have a place and use although they do have quite a bit of overlap

I've used various Kifaru packs throughout the years. They have worked really well for me with packing out multiple quarters and capes. I've added some pictures with descriptions of what's in the pack.

Two front shoulders of a cow elk
View attachment 521435

Quartered out pronghorn and cape. All of it.
View attachment 521436

358+ Bull Elk cape
View attachment 521437

Half a deer in each pack
View attachment 521438
That bull is freaking awesome! Wicked character and huge!