• Alps

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Badlands

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TheViking

WKR
Just curious of your pack preference.

Mainly looking for Western hunters packing in camp, packing out elk and/or deer quarters.

Not EDC, or general hiking bags.

krohboy

WKR
Kifaru Frame with Exo bag has been my choice so far but plan to move to the full K4 System next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I used Stone Glacier for my hunting needs for almost a decade- a very solid pack, more than capable of hauling heavy loads- not a single complaint. Last year in an attempt to simplify things (and reduce the number of packs I own), I decided to enlist my Seek Outside Divide (which was my winter and longer trip backpack) pack into double duty as my hunting pack. So far, no complaints at all.

I think most of the packs you listed are up to the task, but all have pluses and minuses- you'll have to figure out what are the most important criteria for your situation.

There is a pretty good video review floating around on the site that compares/contrasts several of the pack manufacturers you have listed.

sndmn11

WKR
I can't get past the weight savings, waterproofness, increased toughness and strength the Ultra fabrics offer. Seek Outside for me, and I would consider a Stone Glacier Terminus.

When you can carry your shelter and quilt, and still be lighter than other Cordura-constructed packs, that speaks to me.

brian_

FNG
Since there's not a choice for "other," I'll just leave a comment. My Outdoorsmans Optics Hunter is a great pack. The shoulder straps are very good. The hipbelt is pretty good - it's basically a wraparound style that has some similarities to Seek Outside and to older external frames. The frame itself vertically stiff but twists really well.

It has two significant weaknesses that may or may not be deal breakers - limited height on the load lifters and heavy weight. I have a shorter torso, so the load lifters are decent for me, and I love the shorter frame when I'm not carrying a massive load. The weight is a serious problem. A simple x-pac or ultra fabric bag would work great on the frame but wouldn't really fit the "optics hunter" style of the Outdoorsmans pack line.

It's not a perfect pack by any means but I'd buy one of these packs again - either from Outdoorsmans or Wilderness Pack Specialties, who I think manufactures them. I chose it after trying most of the other brands on this list.

Just curious of your pack preference.

Mainly looking for Western hunters packing in camp, packing out elk and/or deer quarters.

Not EDC, or general hiking bags.
I feel the timing of this poll creates a lot of bias… it would have been a more accurate poll before kifaru released their wallet

I think the poll numbers will be skewed now.

OP
TheViking

TheViking

WKR
I can't get past the weight savings, waterproofness, increased toughness and strength the Ultra fabrics offer. Seek Outside for me, and I would consider a Stone Glacier Terminus.

When you can carry your shelter and quilt, and still be lighter than other Cordura-constructed packs, that speaks to me.
I'm not a big ounce saver, but I definitely keep that in mind. When I went from Kifaru to EXO, the couple pounds I saved in pack alone was definitely noticeable.

I am rough on my stuff and I have never had an issue with durability of any material on any pack. Waterproofness is nice, but I carry a little slip over pack cover that was cheap and only weighs a few ounces. Not a huge deal for me, personally.

Overall comfort is important to me. When I have a pack on for 12 hours a day, I want it to be just as comfortable with 15-20#s (day mode), as it is at 60#+s. I have leaned towards more simple pack layouts (EXO) versus a ton of add ons to personalize it like Kifaru. There's a trade off there. Would be nice to be able to buy a quick buckle on compartment for EXO to add something, but going from a 3500 pack to a 5000 is only a couple ounce penalty. And they suck down to nothing when empty.

All of the above packs are excellent, it comes down to personal preference. Like boots, trucks, bows, etc.

I was just thinking this morning, what's the ratio of guys running pack X, or pack Y? General curiosity. There's no wrong answer.

OP
TheViking

TheViking

WKR
I feel the timing of this poll creates a lot of bias… it would have been a more accurate poll before kifaru released their wallet

I think the poll numbers will be skewed now.
That was a bit disappointing for a "big release" for sure. Not the best timing for sure. EXO has been riding high coming into the release of the K4. Kifaru will always have their strong following. I saw on IG most of those wallets are already sold out.

brian_

FNG
Badlands, Kelty, Alps, etc... all very popular. I wonder how popular they are with people getting deep into the backcountry though. But I have no doubt people are getting it done with cheaper gear and older gear - I know they are.

I've used various Kifaru packs throughout the years. They have worked really well for me with packing out multiple quarters and capes. I've added some pictures with descriptions of what's in the pack.

Two front shoulders of a cow elk
38766B3E-5E6E-40DE-B679-39498600B60C.JPG

Quartered out pronghorn and cape. All of it.
DSCN4732.JPG

358+ Bull Elk cape
IMG-0679.jpg

Half a deer in each pack
IMG-1980.jpg

The OP didn't ask for the lightest backpack. He said packing in camp and packing out quarters.

LoggerDan

WKR
Long ago, after too many miserable pack outs with different badlands and e-stocks, I got a second hand kifaru bikini frame, and the only changes have been different frames and bags, but the durability and comfort has been the same. 87A6CAB6-DE52-420F-8D39-8F23C5EE453F.jpeg05925BD2-E9A4-49E6-974F-78C71FFB6C9E.jpeg