Votes: 27 9.2%
  • Kelty

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Alps

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Badlands

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Kifaru for me. Ran a MR last year and it was great up to about 40ish pounds. After that it felt like it was actively trying to cut my left arm off the entire pack out no matter how I adjusted

I have a mystery ranch and I have a kuiu. The kuiu is comfy but small (venture 2300). The metcalf is just ok. It doesn't fit me great and it squeaks like hell but dang man I put a whole elk on my back in two trips with it last year and it survived. I kept thinking it would break but it didn't. I'm not sure what's better, and I find myself pack shopping all the time, but it really does what I need most of the time.

Marble

WKR
Dishonest? I think that’s a little strong. I think any of the big pack makers will handle a half a deer, an elk cape, and 2 front shoulders (in different loads).

I’m playing with the idea of going to a lighter setup, I currently run kifaru. I’m not sure it’s worth the weight penalty. I’d like to test out a lighter weight seek outside pack to see the advantages and disadvantages of a lighter weight system. I put tons of miles on my pack before it’s time to start hauling meat. Can I save a few pounds for a couple hundred miles?
I've contemplated this thought of how much I hike vs how much I pack. Then I realized the only time I am uncomfortable or have had days/weeks of back issues is after packing out animals, or carrying 60ish pounds in and out of the back country. The extra 2-3 pounds walking around does nothing to slow me down or wear me out. It's the multiple 100-pound loads I have to top do that used to get me. Now my legs/body might be tired, but my back and shoulders are good.

I generally pack out one elk solo or most of an elk each year, a pig or two, one blacktail, and a mule deer if i get drawn.

I actually enjoy my pack for daily wear because of how comfortable it is. I used to generally leave elk season popping aleve. Been years since that had happened.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Eberlestock F1 with an EXO belt - incredibly comfortable and have packed out mule deer with it here in Colorado.
Also the first version of the Mystery Ranch Popup that has been very heavily modified, different belt, different bags on a cargo hauler, doesn't resemble it's former self but much more comfy and sleek for early bow season, it's my assassin pack for day hunts in the mountains near my house.

I run a Seek Outside Fortress in xpac. I got that as my first “real” pack due to its light weight and great reviews. Couldn’t be happier with my decision, I love everything about it. I usually get in a couple hunts every year where I backpack in to hunt and usually move to car camping as it gets colder, so I use it as a day pack then. Have packed out animals with the pack full of gear and with it compressed. This year I tried putting two elk quarters on at once and the pack handled it great, but I will probably not do that very often - it was harder on me than it was the pack. Would love to upgrade to their new material, but it’s going to take me awhile to wear out the one I’ve got.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SG terminus 7k for high country mule deer

Sg Curve frame for heavy loads, bag depends on trip duration

Kuiu Pro reg frame with 2300 bag for day hunts and lighter loads

Liked the exo k3 4800 but didn't get a ton of time with it last season

Gonz406

Lil-Rokslider
Went from exo to Kifaru. I do like the Kifaru frame better than the spider k3 but exo just simplifies everything. Gonna try the new K4 and hopefully it’s all that it’s said to be.

I have a mystery ranch and I have a kuiu. The kuiu is comfy but small (venture 2300). The metcalf is just ok. It doesn't fit me great and it squeaks like hell but dang man I put a whole elk on my back in two trips with it last year and it survived. I kept thinking it would break but it didn't. I'm not sure what's better, and I find myself pack shopping all the time, but it really does what I need most of the time.
Mystery ranch makes a very tough pack, I think as tough as any, but their frame just doesn’t work for me, not the worst I have used, but not far from it. The pop up fits me better and is more comfortable with heavy loads (seems backwards right?)

I think their frame fits a fairly narrow window of body types, and if you don’t fit within that window, it’s not great. If you have friends with different packs, try as many as you can and treat yourself to a pack that fits you well, they are an investment, but one of the most useful investments you can have as a hunter. You can find good deals on used exo k2’s, and is a great pack, on my back, vastly better than the mystery ranch, and they are nice and light, very comfortable in hunting mode, and will last a lot of years of use.

Stone glacier is having some good sales right now as well, or best case, a new exo k4😉

You will truly appreciate a pack that fits you well, it makes you more capable in the woods and expands your limitations of where you are willing to go hunt… it’s a beautiful thing when it’s only your legs that limit you, gives you freedom, when the pack itself isn’t a factor.

I have had a lot of packs that sucked with a heavy load, and I think that’s a good thing because I appreciate a good pack so much these days… I think everyone should suffer through some rough pack outs, makes you appreciate your gear when you get it all dialed

Mystery ranch makes a very tough pack, I think as tough as any, but their frame just doesn’t work for me, not the worst I have used, but not far from it. The pop up fits me better and is more comfortable with heavy loads (seems backwards right?)

I think their frame fits a fairly narrow window of body types, and if you don’t fit within that window, it’s not great. If you have friends with different packs, try as many as you can and treat yourself to a pack that fits you well, they are an investment, but one of the most useful investments you can have as a hunter. You can find good deals on used exo k2’s, and is a great pack, on my back, vastly better than the mystery ranch, and they are nice and light, very comfortable in hunting mode, and will last a lot of years of use.

Stone glacier is having some good sales right now as well, or best case, a new exo k4😉

You will truly appreciate a pack that fits you well, it makes you more capable in the woods and expands your limitations of where you are willing to go hunt… it’s a beautiful thing when it’s only your legs that limit you, gives you freedom, when the pack itself isn’t a factor.

I have had a lot of packs that sucked with a heavy load, and I think that’s a good thing because I appreciate a good pack so much these days… I think everyone should suffer through some rough pack outs, makes you appreciate your gear when you get it all dialed
If you don't mind me askin- what's your build? The MR doesn't feel like it was made for me and although it's not as bad as the old cheap pack from I had before.... I bruised both shoulders and hips on the way out with my first load of elk last year. To be fair, it was both hind quarters, neck meat back straps and trim so it was a lot. Thankfully it was just over 4 miles out and 2/3 of it was down hill. After that load I shortened up the pack a bit and the next load felt way better, but still didn't feel great lol.

If you don't mind me askin- what's your build? The MR doesn't feel like it was made for me and although it's not as bad as the old cheap pack from I had before.... I bruised both shoulders and hips on the way out with my first load of elk last year. To be fair, it was both hind quarters, neck meat back straps and trim so it was a lot. Thankfully it was just over 4 miles out and 2/3 of it was down hill. After that load I shortened up the pack a bit and the next load felt way better, but still didn't feel great lol.
I’m right at 6’ and usually about 160#, 34.5” inseam

Raghornkiller

Lil-Rokslider
Been on over 40 elk packouts,dont know what brand my pack is but it sure isn't on that list.I bought it for 50 bucks on Ebay years ago.Just a plain old frame pack but haven't felt the need to upgrade even though I could afford it.

K1jerry

FNG
I run the big Barneys Of Alaska pack and I spend 2 months out of the year wearing it. Bought it in 2005. When my hunters show up with all the latest cool packs with all the compartments and zippers on them I just sigh. Some zippers and seams blow out but mainly they bulk out. Most of their packs are brand new which is understandable. My Barneys pack is tride and true. It's a old school workhorse that's proven. Almost all the guides in my outfit run them.

Choogiak

FNG
Anyone with experience regarding the stone glacier terminus? Can you get a full boned out sheep in that internal load cell bag?